Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd Funnelmarkings and houseflag

maritiem
12th October 2010, 06:45
Who knows the funnelmarkings and houseflag of the short lived tramp company Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd.

Regards
Henk Jungerius

Western Counties Shipping Company Ltd
E. Edwards & Sons Ltd
Cardiff
1915-1922

FLEETLIST


SOUTHINA (1917)
O.N. 111343 3,506gt 103.9 x 14.2 metres
T3. Cyl. by
14.7.189 launched, 8.1899 completed by J. Blumer & Co., Sunderland Yard No. 147 as MARISTOW for Bellamy & Co. 1907 sold toThe Field Line (Cardiff) ( Evan Jones & Co.), Cardiff renamed SOUTHFIELD. 1917 sold to Edwards, Hepburn & Co., Cardiff renamed SOUTHINA. 7.7.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine with the loss of 1 live.

ETHELMEAD 1920-1922)
O.N. 106105 2,902gt 99.4 x 12.5 metres
T3. Cyl. by the Shipbuilder
12.6.1897 launched, 8.1897 completed by C.S. Swan Hunter, Wallsend on Tyne Yard No. 211 as ETHELHILDA for Robert Harrowing & Company 1917 sold to Edwin Knowles, Penarth 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd.( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed ETHELMEAD. 1922 sold to A. Chandris, Greece renamed EVGENIA. 7.7.1928 wrecked off San Raphael, beached Frejus and lost.

FALLSMEAD
O.N.
T3. Cyl. by the Shipbuilder
No further info probably the same construction as by ROXMEAD, is in leaflet book Cardiff shipowners by Jenkins page 71.

ROXMEAD
O.N. 125709 4,396gt 108.0 x 15.2 metres
T3. Cyl. by the Shipbuilder
13.6.1908 launched, 7.1908 completed by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton Yard No. 589 as CRESSINGTON COURT for Court Line ( Ph. Haldin, London). 1918 sold to Sutherland Steam Ship Co., Newcastle renamed Roxburgh, 1921 was to have been sold to Western Counties Shipping Co.Ltd. (Edwards Sons & Co.) as ROXMEAD but sale cancelled due to liquidation of Edwards,Sons & Co. 1922 sold to Tyneside Shipping Co. (J. Ridley & Son & Tully) not renamed, 1924 sold to Carras Bros renamed Fotini, 1925 renamed Fotini Carras, 1935 sold to Westbourne Shipping Co. and scrapped as Hillcote.

ULVERSMEAD (1920-1921)
Single screw steam Turret cargo ship
O.N. 123802 3,829gt 106.8 x 15.3 metres
T3. Cyl. by the Shipbuilder
31.1,1907 launched, 3.1907 completed by Wm. Doxford & Sons, Sunderland Yard No. 379 ( Laid down as BILLITER BUILDINGS for for J. Sunley & Co., of London ) as CLAVERESK for Claverhill Steam Shipping Co. Ltd (E. Haslehurst & Co.), London. 1909 sold to Sandhill Steamship Company, (B. J. Sutherland & Co. Ltd.), Newcastle not renamed. 1919 renamed RENFREW. 1920 sold to Western Counties Co.( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed ULVERSMEAD. 1921 sold to C. de Zabala renamed MARI. 1937 sold to Phoenix Shipping Co. renamed HOUSTONE. 1938 sold to C. Strubin & Co., London renamed LAKE NEUCHATEL. 21.10.1939 scuttled Kirk Sound, Scapa Flow.

INCHMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N. 112697 3,445g, 107.0 x 14.2 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by
29.3.1900 launched 4.1900 completed by Ropner & Son, Stockton Yard No. 369 for Moor Line Ltd. ( W. Runciman & Co.), Newcastle. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd. ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed INCHMEAD. 1922 to F.V. Eberhart & Sons Ltd., London. 1922 sold to Luis Liano S en C renamed JOSE. 1934 B/U Bilbao.

LOWMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N.114429 3,976g, 102.6 x 14.2 metres
23.6.1902 launched 8.1902 completed by Ropner & Son, Stockton Yard No. 393 for W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Ltd. ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed LOWMEAD. 1922 to F.V. Eberhart & Sons Ltd., London. 1922 sold to Polcrest Steamship Co. Ltd., Swansea renamed NICHOLASTON. 1924 sold to Nicolaos D. Boulgaris, Andros, Greece renamed DIMITRIOS N. BOULGARIS. 1933 B/U La Spezia.

PEARLMEAD (1920-1923)
O.N. 120613 4,119g, 106.7 x 15.6 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by
19.9.1905 launched 10.1905 completed by William Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Yard No. 349 for Moor Line Ltd. (Sir Walter Runciman & Co.), London. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Ltd. ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed PEARLMEAD. 1923 sold to Emder Reederei, Hamburg renamed ANNELIESE. 1925 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro, Rio de Janeiro renamed URU. 1957 scrapped.

CASTLEMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N. 120661 3,732g, 6,250dwt 105.9 x 15.0 metres
Triple expansion steam engine
13.12.1905 launched 1.1906 completed by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields Yard No. 390 for W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Ltd. ( E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed CASTLEMEAD. 1922 repurchased by W. Runciman & Co. renamed GLENMOOR. 1927 sold to Polemis & Goumas renamed MAROULIO V.POLEMI. 1932 B/U Genoa.

MAYMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N 124343 3,840g 105.2 x 15.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by Central Marine Engine Works, West Hartlepool
22.8.1907 launched 9.1907 completed by William Gray & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool Yard No. 750 as MAYLANDS for J.F. Wilson & Co. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Ltd. ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed MAYMEAD. 1922 purchased by W. Runciman & Co. renamed ISLEMOOR. 1927 sold to G.C. Dracoulis renamed NIRITOS. 18.10.1940 torpedoed and sunk by submarine U.99.

VALEMEAD (1919-1922)
O.N. 124221 4,225g, 2,748n 360.3 x 48.0 x 20.2 feet
Triple expansion steam engine by Richardsons, Westgarth & Co. Ltd., Sunderland
7.1907 launched 9.1907 completed by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No.147 as QUEEN ELIZABETH for Thomas Dunlop. 1919 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff 1921 renamed VALEMEAD, 1922 purchased by W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle renamed NEWTONMOOR. 1926 sold Arbor Shipping Co., London renamed ORNUS. 1927 sold to S.N. Vlassopulos, Greece renamed MARIA. 6.7.1937 caught fire and beached Brazil.

DALEMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N. 129054 4,124g, 348.8 x 51.1 x 23.0 feet
Triple expansion steam engine by the Shipbuilder
30.9.1909 launched 11.1909 completed by William Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Yard No. 410 for W. Runciman & Co. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed DALEMEAD. 1922 to F.V. Eberhart & Sons Ltd., London. 1922 sold to Karch & Knott, London. 1923 sold to Emder Reederei AG, Hamburg renamed RUTH. 1926 sold to Riberena del Plata, Buenos Aires renamed DEKADE. 1926 sold to AG für Handel & Verkehr (Fritzen & Sohn), Emden, Germany renamed JACOBUS FRITZEN. 1939 sold to Lexzau, Scharbau & Co., Emden. 1940 to Fritzen & Sohn, Emden. 14.10.1942 torpedoed and sunk by Russian submarine D.2 off Ystad.

ZURICHMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N. 129068 3,778g, 6,412dwt 105.9 x 15.9 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by
25.11.1909 launched 1.1910 completed by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields Yard No. 411 for W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed ZURICHMEAD. 1922 repurchased by W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle renamed HALLMOOR. 17.2 1932 wrecked.

ORANGEMEAD (1920-19223)
O.N. 132552 4,134g, 7,072dwt 350.8 x 51.1 x 23.0 feet
Triple expansion steam engine by
16.5.1911 launched 6.1911 completed by William Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Yard No. 423 for W. Runciman & Co. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd. ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed ORANGEMEAD. 1923 sold to H. Waalman renamed BOGEN. 1925 sold to A/S Brask (Nilssen & Sonner), Oslo, Norway renamed BRASK. 15.19141 torpedoed and sunk by Italy submarine Luigi Torelli. 12 crew members lost.

JEDMEAD (1919-1922)
O.N. 135287 3,175g, 331 x 47.7 x 22.5 feet
Triple expansion steam engine by J. Dickinson & Sons Ltd., Sunderland
28.10.1913 launched 11.1913 completed by J. Blumer & Co., Sunderland Yard No. 220 for W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle. 1919 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd.( Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed JEDMEAD. 1922 repurchased by W. Runciman & Co. renamed LINKMOOR. 10.11.1930 wrecked Dunnet Head.

KELSOMEAD (1919-1922)
O.N. 135316 3,174g, 100.9 x 14.5 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by J. Dickinson & Sons Ltd., Sunderland
13.12.1913 launched 1.1914 completed by J. Blumer & Co., Sunderland Yard No. 221 for W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle. 1919 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd.( Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed KELSOMEAD. 1922 repurchased by W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle renamed KELSOMOOR. 1937 sold to Yih & Sung renamed HAI YU. 1938 sold to Wheelock & Co. renamed GEMLOCK. 11.7.1946 scuttled.

ARRANMEAD (1919-1922)
O.N. 136798 4,008g, 340.0 x 47.9 x 21.10 feet
Triple expansion steam engine by J. Dickinson & Sons Ltd., Sunderland
1915 completed by J. Blumer & Co., Sunderland Yard No. 227 for W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle. 1919 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd. ( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed ARRANMEAD. 1922 repurchased by W. Runciman & Co. renamed MIDDLEMOOR. 1936 sold to Klat Navigation Co. Ltd SAE (A. Klat), Alexandria, Egypt renamed SESOSTRIS. 30.1.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.106. Whole crew lost.

WESTMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N. 139105 5,662g, 7,850dwt 119.9 x 15.6 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by
9.10.1915 launched 12.1915 completed by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields Yard No. 450 for W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd.(E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed WESTMEAD. 1922 repurchased by W. Runciman & Co. renamed JERSEYMOOR. 1927 sold to Carpenter & Tuck renamed LOYAL BRITON. 1931 sold to P. Protopapas renamed PANOS. 1934 sold to A.S. Onassis renamed ONASSI MARIA. 6.9.1935 wrecked.

QUEENMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N. 114440 3,753g, 104.5 x 14.2 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by
30.12.1902 launched 1.1903 completed by William Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Yard No. 304 as SIWARD for Novocastrian Shipping Co. Ltd., Newcastle. 1907 renamed QUEENMOOR. 1907 purchased by Moor Line Ltd. ( W. Runciman & Co.), Newcastle. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping Co. Ltd. ( E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed QUEENMEAD. 1922 sold to Rederi A/S Triton, Copenhagen renamed KNUD. 1924 sold to A/S Patria, Copenhagen renamed ROMA. 22.12.1924 wrecked near Dragor. B/U Copenhagen.

GWYNMEAD (1920-1922)
Single screw steam Turret cargo ship
O.N. 122855 3,842gt 106.8 x 15.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by the Shipbuilders
4.8.1906 launched, 9.1906 completed by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland Yard No. 365 turret as ELGIN for B.J. Sutherland & Co., Newcastle. 1920 sold to Western Counties Co.( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed GWYNMEAD. 1922 sold to W. Runciman & Co., Newcastle not renamed. 1929 sold to C. Abrahamsen renamed VIRGO, 1936 scrapped at Grays.

YORKMEAD (1920-1921)
O.N. 120657 3,546gt 103.6 x 14.6 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by
13.12.1905 launched, 1.1906 completed by J. Priestman, Southwick Yard No. 114 as CLIVEGROVE for Grove S.S.Co. Ltd (S. Furneaux & Co.), London. 1917 sold to B.J. Sutherland & Co., Newcastle. 1919 renamed FIFE, 1920 sold to Western Counties Co.( E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed YORKMEAD. 1921 sold to E.K. Vlassopoulos renamed MAKIS, 11.6.1940 mined and sunk nearPantelleria Island.

NETHERMEAD (1920-1921)
O.N. 131834 3,733gt 106.2 x 15.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by
DUNROBIN 1911 Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Newcastle Yard No. 178 as ETOLIA for International S.S. Co. Ltd (Marwood), Whitby, 1917 sold to A.M. Sutherland & Co., Newcastle not renamed, 1919 renamed DUNROBIN. 1920 sold to Western Counties Co.( E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed NETHERMEAD, 1921 sold to G.P. Sechiari renamed EIRENE ARIADNE, 1924 sold to E.M. Trattles renamed LATCHMERE, 1931 sold to G. Barta renamed PUSZTA, 17.4.1934 wrecked Block Island.

SOUTHMEAD (1920-1921)
O.N. 142711 5,277gt 400 x 52.4 feet (122 x 16 metres)
Triple expansion steam engine by the Shipbuilder
24.9.1918 launched, 11.1918 completed by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland Yard No. 528 (Launched as WAR ASPEN for The Shipping Controller), completed as SUTHERLAND for B.J. Sutherland & Co., Newcastle. 1920 sold to Western Counties Co.( E. Edwards & Sons.), Cardiff renamed SOUTHMEAD. 1921 sold to Mcllwraith MacEacharn renamed KOOLONGA. 1929 by repurchased by B.J. Sutherland & Co., Newcastle renamed CAITHNESS. 1935 sold to Jubilee Steam Nav. Co., (F.S. Dawson), Newcastle,renamed DAVID DAWSON. 1936 sold to Avon Steamship Co. Ltd (M. Whitwill & Son ), Bristol renamed AVON RIVER, 16.9.1936 wrecked Hudson Bay.

HIGHMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N. 142760 5,263gt 400 x 52.3 feet (122.2 x 15.9 metres)
Triple expansion steam engine by
17.12.1918 launched, 31.12.1918 completed by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Govan Yard No. 548g as WAR JASMINE built for the Shipping Controller. 1919 sold to B.J. Sutherland & Co., Newcastle renamed CROMARTY. 1920 sold to Western Counties Co.( E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed HIGHMEAD, 1922 sold to Cia Naviera Sota & Aznar, Bilbao, Spain renamed ASTOI MENDI, 1939 to Naviera Aznar, Bilbao renamed MONTE NEGRO, 22.12.1950 wrecked off Takoradi breakwater.

BRYNMEAD (1920-1922)
O.N. 106641 3,060gt 99.1 x 14.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by
T.3 cyl. by Blair & Co. Ltd., Stockton
21.4.1898 launched, 8.1898 completed by Blyth Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No. 93 as WILLIAM BROADLEY for Stephens & Mawson & Goss, Newport. 1912 sold to W.S. Miller renamed IZASTON. 1920 sold to Western Counties Shipping (E. Edwards & Sons), Cardiff renamed BRYNMEAD. 1922 sold to O. Hillerstrom renamed MILOS. 9.3.1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.530.