Seamans Pools

gdynia
18th November 2005, 20:50
A question that needsanswered please from one of my collegues onboard. Did Birmingham(Midlands) have a seamans pool at anytime.

Razor
24th November 2005, 16:44
Almost certainly yes. I never had the pleasure of visiting the place but it was a bit of a standing joke in the old days, having a "Pool" in the middle of the country.

trotterdotpom
24th November 2005, 16:53
A question that needsanswered please from one of my collegues onboard. Did Birmingham(Midlands) have a seamans pool at anytime.

Possibly for people signing on the good ship "Lollipop" bound for Cadbury's at Bourneville.

John T.

gdynia
24th November 2005, 18:08
Possibly for people signing on the good ship "Lollipop" bound for Cadbury's at Bourneville.

John T.

Nice reply John T. no doubt you were standing on your head when you thought of that one

RayJordandpo
12th March 2006, 18:10
Birmingham did have a 'Pool' office. I have been informed that it was situated in Daimler House, Queensway. After all Captain Smith of the Titanic was born in Stoke on Trent (not too far away) I come from Hull and our nearest shipping office is in Beverley of all places, A pal of mine has just sat his masters ticket there.
Ray

gdynia
13th March 2006, 05:26
Birmingham did have a 'Pool' office. I have been informed that it was situated in Daimler House, Queensway. After all Captain Smith of the Titanic was born in Stoke on Trent (not too far away) I come from Hull and our nearest shipping office is in Beverley of all places, A pal of mine has just sat his masters ticket there.
Ray
Ray
Had several PM,s from ex Birmingham Pool Members all ex Everard Guys

Dave Hone
13th March 2006, 08:03
When I was at Gravesend Sea School (1962) I'm pretty sure that the Birmingham lads were directed to Avonmouth pool. I was from Doncaster so went to Goole and the Nottingham boys were allocated to Hull!