Capt Neil John Munro

15th October 2010, 21:31
Hi - does anyone know of Neil John Munro? I sailed with him on his second voyage as Master on the Teviotbank in 1976.

I would like to get in touch if at all possible.

John Travis Whitehead
15th October 2010, 22:29
If it's the same guy (Guernsey and Blue Star) he lives in Savannah Georgia. Was ops manager of Saga Forest Carriers but believe he retired last year. I don't know his private e-mail but if you explained your interest, his ex company might put you in touch.
Best regards
John Whitehead

15th March 2011, 20:26
Sailed with a Captain Neil Munro from Cottingham near Hull on the Corabank in the first half of 1976. Had his wife and little nipper with him[about 15 months old]. I think he was the youngest old man in Bank Line at the time. 33 years old I think. Smashing bloke. Took the Corabank right into to Darling harbour when the tuggies were on strike.

Alistair Macnab
7th June 2016, 23:07
Captain Munro was a much respected member of Bank Line both at sea and on coming ashore as the company's Assistant Marine Superintendent in Savannah where he was responsible for the Safbank Line to and from South Africa.
Eventually he was made redundant when the service was discontinued but apparently he was able to extend his skills to another company until his retirement.

I was particularly pleased when he chose to remain in Savannah and his family of sons will certainly benefit from their father's decision to remain on this side of the ocean as did I and my family.

My condolences extend to his wife and family.

8th June 2016, 16:15
Thanks for that Alistair.

8th June 2016, 18:03
Please see previous thread concerning Capt. Munro

12th June 2016, 19:46
Neil Munro was Mate on our first trip on the Springbank 1974, he paid off in Jan 1975 to take command of the Roybank, relieved by Mike Thompson.
An excellent gentleman who I remember with great affection couldn't have had a better C/O for a first trip.

Eddie B.

13th June 2016, 15:23
It is with sadness that I am passing on that Neil Munro former Bank Line Master passed away In Savannah Ga USA May 27th. I did not sail with Neil but worked many years with him when he was Bank Lines rep in Savannah. His Obit follows:

Captain Neil John Munro - SAVANNAH - Captain Neil John Munro passed away at his home in Savannah, Georgia on May 25, 2016. Captain Munro was born on April 28, 1944 in Guernsey, United Kingdom; at the time of his birth, Guernsey was under German occupation. At 17 years old, Captain Munro attended Warsash Naval College. He then joined the British Merchant Navy and rose to the rank of Captain in 1971. In total, Captain Munro spent 20 years at sea sailing cargo ships all over the world. In 1982, Captain Munro was promoted to Port Captain, and he and his family lived in Durban, South Africa and Sydney, Australia before settling in Savannah in 1989. Captain Munro is survived by his wife of 44 years, Pauline Munro (n e Alvin), originally from Hull, England, who still resides in Savannah; their son Alistair (Jennifer) Munro and grandsons Drake and Drew of St. Augustine, Florida; their son Andrew (Jill) Munro and grandson Thomas of Atlanta, Georgia; and their son Ross (Natalie) Munro of Savannah. The family will hold a private memorial in Guernsey at a later date. Because Captain Munro had no use for flowers, charity, or anything sentimental, the family requests that, in lieu of flowers or donations, you go have a drink at your favorite pub. Savannah Morning News May 27, 2016 - See more at: