marco polo

chrisreeves
17th October 2010, 12:41
Hi All,
I was just wondering if any of you had been on the Marco polo.
I have booked on her from Tilbury September next year for a 10 day cruise to Norway and around there.
Never been on a passenger ship before, always worked cargo, in the 60s.
Only booked it as the other half wanted to go up to that area, and this ship looked like a real ship, not one of those new things.
Thanks if anyone can give me any info on what I may expect.
Chris

mikeg
17th October 2010, 13:48
Hi Chris,

I was on the Marco Polo as a passenger during July/August 1995. Appeared to have a very good atmosphere from both officers and crew. She has anti-roll stabilisers retrofitted which (to me) seemed to give a very odd motion to the ship but probably saved a lot of problems during bad weather. The food and accomodation was superb. Had to use the gym a lot to stop too much weight gain - just about maintained the status quo :)

Yes, its refreshing as it is a 'real' ship. Enjoy.

Mike

chrisreeves
17th October 2010, 14:40
Thank you Mike.
Will give you an update when I come back, am looking forward to this trip.
Cheers.
Chris

Ken Green
17th October 2010, 17:12
Went around Britain on board earlier this year. The ship,s accomodation was quite nice and the crew were excellent but in my opinion she has far too many passengers for her size. for instance,eating in the dining room I had to keep leaning forward to let the waiters get past, tables far too close together.
Drinks are very expensive too!
Cheers, Ken.

chrisreeves
17th October 2010, 18:20
Thanks Ken will remember about the drinks and table space.
Do you remember what the tipping way is now, I have heard 3 different ways it is done ?
Chris

chrisreeves
17th October 2010, 18:25
Sorry Ken meant to say what I have heard about tipping.
1. They charge 5 a day per passenger on your credit card.
2. You give individually in envelope on last night of trip.
3. you give no tips as it is now included in the price of your cruise.
Thanks.
Chris

Jem
17th October 2010, 19:11
Hi All,
I was just wondering if any of you had been on the Marco polo.
I have booked on her from Tilbury September next year for a 10 day cruise to Norway and around there.
Never been on a passenger ship before, always worked cargo, in the 60s.
Only booked it as the other half wanted to go up to that area, and this ship looked like a real ship, not one of those new things.
Thanks if anyone can give me any info on what I may expect.
Chris

Hello Chris, Well I sailed on her in 1965 across to Canada from Tilbury when she was the USSR Alexandr Pushkin! I even had my 5th birthday on board. I am not sure but it might have been her maiden voyage, so I've now been told. Of course she had a soviet crew but they could not have been kinder to me. It was while on board in the pool that my Dad taught me to swim. So the (Marco Polo) holds special memories for me. If you follow this link you'll find my tribute to her.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3wioapCTC4

Ken Green
17th October 2010, 22:43
Chris, Your number one is correct, the gratuities are charged to your onboard account at 5 per passenger per day but it is possible to opt out of this and then tip whoever and whatever you want.
Best of luck,
Ken

chrisreeves
18th October 2010, 00:33
Thank you Ken, I know what to expect now.
Cheers.
Chris

chrisreeves
18th October 2010, 00:34
Hi.
Just looked at the video.
thanks for sending it.
Cheers.
Chris

GlynR
12th November 2010, 21:42
Hello Jem,
Thanks for posting the U-Tube tribute. This was of particular interest to me as I once made the short trip from Le Havre to Tilbury on this ship and also from Cobh to Tilbury on the sister ship the 'Mikhail Lermontov' when these vessels were on the trans-Atlantic run in the early 70s. I was a bit older than you but nevertheless they made an impression on me as they were the biggest ships I had been on at the time. I kept a few menus and daily events programmes as souvenirs which became especially valued after the unfortunate sinking of the 'Mikhail Lermontov' some years later.
Glyn Roberts

KenLin39
14th November 2010, 02:40
There are two or three visits to the ship at Tilbury coming up soon. Enter site via link below for details. This must be value for money. Ken.

http://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/about-us/latest-news-and-offers.aspx