Glenogle

Fairfield
5th May 2004, 20:05
The first of two built in Glasgow at the Fairfield yard at Govan 1962.Her sister GLENFALLOCH followed in 1963.
This was taken in Glasgow in 1977 and I think was the only time she ever came back.
They were both sold to China and there was a scheme a few years ago to bring one of them back to the UK for preservation.Both are believed scrapped.

tanker
4th June 2004, 15:51
The first of two built in Glasgow at the Fairfield yard at Govan 1962.Her sister GLENFALLOCH followed in 1963.
This was taken in Glasgow in 1977 and I think was the only time she ever came back.
They were both sold to China and there was a scheme a few years ago to bring one of them back to the UK for preservation.Both are believed scrapped.

Hi Fairfield
Yes the two ships were sold to China and GLENOGLE become YANGCHENG
GLENFALLOCH the QING HE CHENG now are broken up.
I have seen YANGCHENG at Genoa in 1983 very good ship but unfortunately
i cannot photograph it. what a pity!!!!!!!!!!
GP

Chief Office No.1 Son
28th February 2005, 02:45
This was the photo that introduced me to this site. Sadly it looks like the project to restore the Glenfalloch to her former glory ended in a Far East scrapyard but I've not had this confirmed. I joined the Flintshire in Bilbao when my father was Snr. 2nd Mate. Later on he did a trip on the Falloch (possibly as Mate, I'm not sure). In their original Glen Line colours these were among the most attractive passenger/cargo liners ever built. As a 'weegie' and a Glen Line affecionado thanks for posting this gem of a photo.
Rgds'
Peter C.

Doug Rogers
28th February 2005, 04:21
They were some of the best ships around in their time but as with so many others they were living on borrowed time with the advent of full containerisation just around the corner. At least they looked like ships which sometimes hard to say for their replacements!!

Fairfield
28th February 2005, 06:27
I would agree with that.The class were to have been fitted with the later design of funnel as on CENTAUR and later the PRIAM class but original retained.

Doug Rogers
28th February 2005, 08:40
It was an appropriate funnel, it matched the vessels in my opinion, anything too overdone would detracted from their appearance..they looked very capable and workmanlike, no frills, just good basics. (well thats wot I think!!)

flyer682
28th February 2005, 09:32
I would have to agree. To have refitted them with a PRIAM funnel would have been sacrilege.

Bob S
14th July 2005, 16:17
Another view of GLENOGLE on the River Thames, note the yellow funnel.

R651400
6th August 2005, 11:22
The hunt for Red October as we christened the "Glenfalloch" project continues.
There is a possibility she is still trading between PRC and NK.
Until we have positive proof that she has gone under the torch, hope springeth eternal.
Yellow funnel indicates 'ogle must have sailed under the ED houseflag when this shot was taken.

Chief Office No.1 Son
29th August 2005, 01:59
The Funnel colour is not indicative of an ED charter, but after Glen Line closed in 72/73 the Glenlyon class were crewed by Ocean Fleets officers but all East Coast UK to Far East services were operated under the BENOCEAN banner and the Glens retained their names but were required to have Ben Line yellow funnels.

trevorw3740
30th January 2006, 21:34
Best looking ships - ever! Not only that - an absolute joy to sail on. Apart from warships (and not all of them either!) we would pass anything. I miss them.

R651400
8th March 2006, 07:54
The Funnel colour is not indicative of an ED charter, but after Glen Line closed in 72/73 the Glenlyon class were crewed by Ocean Fleets officers but all East Coast UK to Far East services were operated under the BENOCEAN banner and the Glens retained their names but were required to have Ben Line yellow funnels.
Thanks for that Peter, and how horrible they must have looked and felt with a Ben-boat funnel!

Allan James
8th March 2006, 10:20
On my second trip on the Glenfalloch she had the buff funnel, never looked right......the red/black funnel really set the lines of the ships off. I think the colours also made the trip less enjoyable, must have been "in the mind" because many of the crew were the same, the run was Singapore, Indonesia, Phillipines, Hong Kong and Japan, a traditional trip, but it just didn't feel right! Sorry you Ben Line boys!

Rergards

Allan

Steve Farrow
14th September 2006, 20:06
On my second trip on the Glenfalloch she had the buff funnel, never looked right......the red/black funnel really set the lines of the ships off. I think the colours also made the trip less enjoyable, must have been "in the mind" because many of the crew were the same, the run was Singapore, Indonesia, Phillipines, Hong Kong and Japan, a traditional trip, but it just didn't feel right! Sorry you Ben Line boys!

Rergards

Allan

I rember seeing the GLENOGLE in Immingham MID 1970'S. I even took a photo of her with my new Zorki 4K Russian camera.
Steve

Allan James
15th September 2006, 10:01
Seeing all of the above reminded me about my two trips (and a European coast and dry-docking) on the Glenfalloch (Voyages 40 and 41 I think) First trip the old man was Bill Bellamy; an ED man on was his last trip to sea. The Glen boats had been designated as cadet ships, bit of a joke really because the cadets had taken over the passenger accomodation upping the complement of cadets to ten middies, two officer cadets and two engineer cadets. We had four female cadets in the passenger accomodation and the six male middies had the half-deck (so much for sexual equality!) The other passenger acomodation was taken by the engineer and officer cadets. For those who never sailed with BF, ED or Glen, an officer cadet was a deck cadet who had completed phase 1 at college and was a watchkeeper. Great run, London to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Japan. Then a fast blast back to Europe. Second trip I shared one of the passenger rooms with Al Feast, another middy who I understand is now on the quay somewhere on the Mersey. We were evicted for some misdemenor and ended back in the half-deck. Very strange to see the 'Falloch with what appeared to be an ED funnel, never quite got used to it. The old man this trip was John Liptrot, who was a Glen man (odd that we had a Glen Funnel with a Captain who spent his time with a buff funnel and had a buff (ED) funnel with a Glen Line Captain!) This trip was Europe to Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore then back to Genoa and the worst hang over I've ever suffered! then up to dry-dock at Avonmouth with tanks full of Palm Oil and having to watch the temperatures like a hawk!

These were beautiful ships, comfortable and fast but extremely hard work with all of those derricks! I still carry a little memento of these trips, got a jag from a wire broken off in my right hand-its still there and has moved about 1/4 of an inch in the thirty years since it joined me!

Graham McMorine
26th January 2007, 15:39
Beutiful Ships. really enjoyed my time on the GLENLYON . Painting the funnel a buff colour took away the proud look and feel of the LYON class. Great pity

Hague
8th March 2007, 06:51
Is there anyone out there sailed in the 'Glenogle' late 1965. I believe she arrived KGV Jan 06 1966
Brgds
Hague

tanker
8th March 2007, 14:22
Here on sea trials .
Gp

David Wilcockson
8th March 2007, 23:48
Tanker
She`s at anchor I think so maybe taken at end of runs.
David

tanker
10th March 2007, 21:43
Correct David probably at rhe end of her run!
Gp

settling tank
22nd March 2007, 02:19
Sailed Flintshire March to November 1969, what a ship, 1 st voyage was Capt Rippon, then Capt. "crash" Liptrot.......2 totally different Captains.
For non Glen Engineers we use to shot blast the Tank tops going south and paint them gloss white. Anyone going below plates 2nd Eng. included use to take off Eng. rm boots and go in stocking feet and CLEAN boilersuit.

Hague
22nd March 2007, 11:27
Sailed Flintshire March to November 1969, what a ship, 1 st voyage was Capt Rippon, then Capt. "crash" Liptrot.......2 totally different Captains.
For non Glen Engineers we use to shot blast the Tank tops going south and paint them gloss white. Anyone going below plates 2nd Eng. included use to take off Eng. rm boots and go in stocking feet and CLEAN boilersuit.

Sailed with Liptrot in the 'Clytoneus' 64. Not a pleasant experience and a totally different man than other Master's who came 'up the hawsepipe' in that company such as Hughie Davies and Ale House Jones. Both a pleasure to sail with a sobering experience when the officers 'got above' themselves.
Brgds
Hague

Hague
22nd March 2007, 11:29
Another view of GLENOGLE on the River Thames, note the yellow funnel.

SACRILEGE!!

demodocus
30th October 2007, 06:06
It was an appropriate funnel, it matched the vessels

I coasted Glenogle 62/63 she looked very pretty but that funnel was a pain in the a**e !!

It was aluminium and it always found something inside it to rattle every time we worked up to full speed.

Master was Carney, didn't tell the Rotterdam pilot that Dead Slow was 8 knots, caused all sorts of hell.

Bill Davies
30th October 2007, 09:47
I coasted Glenogle 62/63 she looked very pretty but that funnel was a pain in the a**e !!

It was aluminium and it always found something inside it to rattle every time we worked up to full speed.

Master was Carney, didn't tell the Rotterdam pilot that Dead Slow was 8 knots, caused all sorts of hell.

Capt Carney..a fine seaman and a gentleman.

yogi t
30th October 2007, 10:45
In 67 whilst 3rd mate on Wainui (Union Steam Ship Co of Nz Ltd) in Singapore was invited to a dunnage contractors for a steamboat dinner.The Master and Mate of Glenogle were there also. The Master was one of the last to have been in Shanghai and had written a book about those times. Would anyone know his name please??
Thanks
John T