1968 livery change

gadgee
19th November 2005, 17:09
I have posted a scan of two sheets of a BP Shield Magazine from 1968 which explains why they changed the colours. If I posted them here, chances are the font would be too small. If anyone still cannot read them, and is interested, I can translate in this thread.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9866

RCHARLTON
19th November 2005, 18:21
Just wondered if "BP" still stands for "British Petroleum" in other parts of the world? All advertising for "BP" here in the States now refers to it as "Beyond Petroleum".

Ray Charlton

flyer682
20th November 2005, 01:49
Same here in New Zealand, Ray. Perhaps just an advertising ploy?

James_C
20th November 2005, 02:58
Just an advertising ploy, for now.
Like all Oil companies (and perhaps more than most), they like to portray themselves in the media as being the Enviroments best friend.
They are still (thankfully) British Petroleum, and of course the Enviroment will always play second fiddle to profits.

Phil Williams
11th December 2007, 09:58
There was a livery change in the early sixties,the colours went from red decks, dark grey hull, black tank hatches deck pipelines and fittings with white masts to a light grey on deck plus all fittings and masts. The Indian crew I was with during this changeover were very apprehensive about the change to "battleship grey"and had to be reassured that we were not about to go to war! The light grey was not a success and later changed to green decks &c. and the masts reverted to white.

Phil

kevhogg
11th December 2007, 10:27
BP decided to change there funnel colours back to the (old) present design after the British Trent fire in 93.Mainly the rumour was in the fleet after this was it came about because as the ship was burning all that 'Joe public' could see on the news was the BP shield on the funnel of a stricken tanker and they would associate that with all the dead seagulls with them.TYPICAL LAYMANS VIEW I SUPPOSE.

david freeman
20th December 2007, 17:51
When the change took place to the Shell Style funnel colours there was an almight Ho Har?

Dickyboy
23rd May 2009, 22:07
There was a livery change in the early sixties,the colours went from red decks, dark grey hull, black tank hatches deck pipelines and fittings with white masts to a light grey on deck plus all fittings and masts. The Indian crew I was with during this changeover were very apprehensive about the change to "battleship grey"and had to be reassured that we were not about to go to war! The light grey was not a success and later changed to green decks &c. and the masts reverted to white.

Phil
My first BP tankers were Centaur, Admiral & Argosy back in the late 60, they were painted in the grey livery, what a boring colour scheme! I recall being on lookout and often just looking at the funnel for a sight of some colour.

Often under a grey sky and sailing on a grey sea on a grey ship starved me of colour. Blue seas and skies were almost as boring. A glimpse at night of the nav lights also helped me with "Light Starvation" What a treat to have green decks to stare at, as well as the empty horizon as well of course! :o

Dickyboy
23rd May 2009, 22:14
When the change took place to the Shell Style funnel colours there was an almight Ho Har?
There was a great Ho Har when a couple of the ships I was on changed to the Iranian funnel as well. I've seen a picture of one of the ships with a UAE funnel as well. I never knew about that funnel until a couple of days ago, when did THAT happen?

twogrumpy
24th May 2009, 20:07
Just an advertising ploy, for now.
They are still (thankfully) British Petroleum, and of course the Enviroment will always play second fiddle to profits.
I should think so too, what about us poor shareholders, profit is what we want!!!
(Cloud)