Ian McCaffery, Chief Electrician

Derek Dunn
20th October 2010, 21:25
Just heard tonight that another one of our "clan" has crossed the bar. I sailed with Ian on a few occassions and one particular trip B.J. (Billy Johnson) was second Lecky. There was never a dull moment!!
Happy memories.

Paul Barford
21st October 2010, 21:12
Sad to hear about McCaff,
fond memories of days on the 'Lomond. Sympathy to Anne.
Paul

Ali Bain
22nd October 2010, 17:17
Like Paul very sorry to hear about Ian, condolences to the family. Happy memories of Ian from my Benlomond days.
Ali. Bain.

Derek Dunn
22nd October 2010, 18:31
Hi Guys, like you I sailed with Ian and BJ on the Lomond and later on the Dearg. Ian was always a cheery soul. A few years ago I was working in a factory near Stirling and met Ian's cousin and through a chance meeting made contact with Ian again. That Christmas I had a small gathering in the house for neighbours and invited Ian and Ann over, I had to prise Ian away from the whisky when it was time to go home!
Either of you heard anything of Billy Johnson?

Regards,
Derek.

Ali Bain
28th October 2010, 08:22
Derek, Regarding B.J. I met him in Aberdeen about eighteen years ago, think he was on the Ocean Alliance at that time. Not seen or heard of him since.
Ali. Bain.

Derek Dunn
29th October 2010, 18:32
Derek, Regarding B.J. I met him in Aberdeen about eighteen years ago, think he was on the Ocean Alliance at that time. Not seen or heard of him since.
Ali. Bain.

Hi Ali, I hope you are well. I haven't been up your part of the country for a couple of years now. We now have a man in Keith who inspects the pressure plant in Aberdeen, Moray and Inverness.
Regarding B.J. I wouldn't be surprised if Ian and him weren't together someplace having a riot. B.J. did live life to the full, as it were.
Derek.

Ali Bain
2nd November 2010, 07:43
Derek, Good to hear from you, not many Benline men left by the looks of it. Did a few voyages with B.J. and had some good runs ashore with him. Will speak to Mike Young (ex Ocean Alliance) when he comes home from Brazil and see if he has any updates on Billy's whereabouts.
As for your man in Keith, I would expect that he will be snowed in most of the time..!!!
Ali. Bain.

john fraser
3rd November 2010, 09:02
The Ben Line Site is fair quiet again. Regarding B.J. I was with him on the Benledi(ex Ros Castle) in Brazil.So hows about some stories about the characters like B.J.and others.The stories would be true anyway.so I doubt if we could get done for slander