WATTS Watts - Greenwich.

albertwebster
19th November 2005, 21:26
I was on the Greenwich from May 1957 to September 1958. Anybody out there who was on her at the same time?

theaskew
28th October 2006, 13:54
I joined the MV Woolwich 30-Dec-1955 first trip to sea deck boy.
It was a 9 month voyage.For the time the accommadation was great.
Abs had there own cabins i shared cabins with the catering boy.

stores
12th April 2007, 18:56
hi i sailed on the wanstead, my brother on beaconsfield and woolwich, am writing a history of watts watts ships, would be grateful for any photos, cheers, stores.

stores
14th April 2007, 14:35
I was on the Greenwich from May 1957 to September 1958. Anybody out there who was on her at the same time?

hi dont know if you want a photo of Greenwich, am waiting for some to arrive from New Zealand in about 3 weeks, including Greenwich, can copy one for you if needed.. stores.

John Rogers
15th April 2007, 20:08
I made a couple of trips on the Willesden and on the Beckenham,have pictures if you would like to have them, please PM me with your address. It was a very good company to sail with.
John.

allan besant
15th April 2007, 21:19
I have pics & details of the tanker CORO, please PM me with your e/mail if its of any interest to you. regards -------------allan.

stores
20th May 2007, 16:19
I made a couple of trips on the Willesden and on the Beckenham,have pictures if you would like to have them, please PM me with your address. It was a very good company to sail with.
John.

hi john, any pics of watts ships would be great, my email is, taquite@aol.com. home address is tony wilding ,32 hurst grove ramsgate , kent ,ct12 6db, thanks , tony.

stores
20th May 2007, 16:21
hi alan, my email address is taquite@aol.com, home is tony wilding, 32 hurst grove, ramsgate, kent, ct12 6db, cheers, tony.

Simon Lowndes Jones
12th July 2008, 21:11
Hello

My father Trevor (Courtney) Jones worked on board a Watts Watts ship for a number of years during the late 40s and in the 50s.

I have a number of pictures that he too whilst he was at sea and remember that one of them is of the Beckenham.

Unfortunately my father died a couple of weeks ago and I have only stumbled across this thread in the course of writing about his life.

Could I ask whether any of you remember him or worked with him?

Much appreciated.

Simon

Monket
15th July 2008, 22:21
I joined the Weybridge in Durban as an EDH in July 1960.
Very unusual ship, strange shaped bow and stern and the crew accomodation was in the tween decks.
I've got a very poor picture of it which I'll try to upload.

Monket
15th July 2008, 23:04
Apologies for the quality.

Monket
15th July 2008, 23:36
Better picture here.

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20W/slides/Weybridge-01.html

John Rogers
21st July 2008, 23:16
Simon, what was the time frame your father was on the Beckenham.

John.

chadburn
30th July 2008, 14:41
Apologies for the quality.

Monket, if I remember correctly her unusual Hull shape was due to the Owner's/designers? interested in the profile of a Dolphin/Shark and how smooth they travelled through the water

livings
30th July 2008, 16:24
Two of my uncles, Fred Livings & Ted Livings were with Watts Watts in the 1950`s. I remember that one or other were on Wanstead, Wendover & Greenwich.
Also Ted was on Wanstead when chartered to Port Line as Port Wanstead.
Both uncles long since crossed the bar, but were great characters.

Simon Lowndes Jones
4th August 2008, 16:07
Simon, what was the time frame your father was on the Beckenham.

John.

Thank you for getting back to me on this. My father must have been on the Beckenham between 1947 when he was 18 and the late 50s (before he went on to Join Union Castle having become an officer). He started off with Watts Watts spending his time 'chipping and painting' the vessel he was on and I know that at one stage he was sailing around the south coast of Australia shipping coal one way and iron ore the other.

Any information gratefully received. Thank you.

Simon

John Rogers
4th August 2008, 17:00
Simon, I was on the Beckenham from the end of August 1952 thru Oct 1952, joined her in Manchester and left her in Middlesbrough.One trip down to North Africa.

John.

GordonAdshead
19th December 2008, 19:16
Hello. I am new to this forum and I trust that I am doing the right thing, but I note that someone is writing a history of the Watts-Watts line and may be able to help me.
My real interest is learning more about he death of my Grandfather William Henry Bowdon ADSHEAD. He was the master of the Greenwich in 1908 and died at sea somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, probably just off the Galapagos Islands.
He married my Grandmother in Wilmslow in Dec 1906 and after 6 months sailed off in the Greenwich, and all she ever knew was a telegram received in May 1908 that he was dead. The relevant ships logs were sent to Newfoundland during WW2 and so far I have not been ableto locate a copy.
I have found an interesting USA Immigration record when the Greenwich called in at Seattle in Jan 1908 for Japan: 28 crew from all round the world and against 10 of them is stamped "Deserted".
I have just found an article in the Victoria BC Daily Colonist 30May 1908 about his death. Saying he was well known in Victoria and that his previous ship the steamer Hounslow was lost on the Costa Rican coast soon after she left Esqulmalt and he returned home.

Is it possible that someone on this forum can help me find any other sources of information about these incidents and the Watts-Watts company please ?

Best regards Gordon Adshead

Just in case anyone is interested I have a few (small) photos and a complete set of papers as my Grandfather served his apprenticeship [parchment - paid 5 after 4 years] and the commendation certificates and letters as he rose through the ranks of 3rd, 2nd, officer, mate etc.

cosmikal
19th December 2008, 19:33
my next door neighbour was on the Weybridge, will find out the dates.

Arthur Jenner
3rd January 2009, 03:34
I was on a Watts Watts ship; thw SS Willesden. She was originally a wartime built empire boat. We went from Tilbury to Sydney in 1949 then to Japan and Vancouver and home via Panama. I think that they were a very good company. I have a photo of her taken in Sydney Harbour

kudu
9th February 2009, 15:12
Some companies pride themselves on being tramps. I served my apprenticeship with Stag Line who used the logo "handy tramps" on
correspondence.They carried passengers quite often to North America.
I know of a number of pre-sea students from South Shields marine
college who did a trip for experience during holidays.
Kudu

roibaird7
10th February 2009, 02:36
My first two ships were WATTS WATTS the Chertsey1943.......invasion of SIcily.. and the Maycrest late 1943......... later sunk and used at Dunkirk as a block ship MULBERRy?

Malky Glaister
10th February 2009, 04:36
I sailed on Gulf Briton not long after Denholms took over running from Watts Watts. There were a few chaps on her from the company. It's forty years now but I remember the Leckie, one Tom Bogie. He had been with Watts Watts for years on the W boats. A couple of engineers were Chief Mad Mike Morrison whose life revolvde about distilled water and the second Malky Davidson, the Galloper who went everywhere at high speed. They al spoke highly of the former company. She had British crew but I only remember the engine lads who were almost all off the pool.

regards Malky Glaister

wallsendgeordie
4th March 2009, 09:47
My father Jimmy Penner From Wallsend sailed as 4E/0 on the wanstead,weybridge and the wendover in the late 50s

dave13
9th March 2009, 06:52
Hi all. My father John Cooper sailed with Watts Watts in the 50's does anybody remember him. If any body does please feel free to contact me. Dave

brian t
12th March 2009, 13:05
Hi Stores, just joined up and found your thread, I joined Watts late 67 as 5e/o standing by "Westminster Bridge". building at Port Glasgow, this was to be the last ship built for WW as they were taken over by Bibby Line before we sailed on maiden voyage15/3/68 I may have some pics in my collection, I will try to down load them when ive tracked them down, cheers

richensj
12th March 2009, 16:10

I served on the greenwich during this period.If I remember correctly we were articaled for about 18 months and we loaded sugar in Cairns Western Australia for Tate and Lyle at Liverpool.
Your name does ring a bell despite it being 50 years ago.I finished my apprenticeship in Cairns and was prmoted to 4th mate.
Jeff Richens.

richensj
12th March 2009, 16:55
My name is Jeff Richens
I served my apprenticeshop with Watts Watts.My first ship was the SS Twickenham under the Command of Capt Dougy Martin sailing to West Africa.I joined the MV Greenwich at Avonmouth under the command of Capt Eric Pierce sailing to Cuba for sugar to Japan.Then to Australia.New Caledonia Japan New Calidonionia.Nauru Australia a few times before a cargo of wheat home.
I then joined the MV Wimbledon in Glasgow again under the command of Captain Dougy Martin for her maiden voyage to Miami,Mexico,USA,Japan and Canada.
I also served on the MV Windsor,Wokingham and Woodford before rejoining the MV Wimbledon under the command of Mo King.
It would be nice to chat to any body that remembers back to those good old days.

ray morgan
22nd May 2009, 14:16
I joined the Woodford in May 62 in Liverpool we went light ship to New York there we changed our Watts Watts funnel to Thai Lines done Philly, Lake Charles, Pasadena Texas, NewOrleans,across to Alexandria, though Suez Canal, Djakata, Singapore, Bangkok were we loaded a deck cargo of pigs for Hong Kong, across to Los Angeles ,through Panama Canal to NewYork funnel back to black ,Norfolk Virginia for tobacco for Avonmouth then Dry Dock Birkenhead. The best company and ship i was ever on and a round the world trip thrown in, could you ask for more.

william middleton
5th October 2009, 10:59
hi albert my name is bill middleton iwas on the greenwich at the same voyage as you we joined in antwerp and paid off in hull

roibaird7
29th April 2010, 17:20
Hello

My father Trevor (Courtney) Jones worked on board a Watts Watts ship for a number of years during the late 40s and in the 50s.

I have a number of pictures that he too whilst he was at sea and remember that one of them is of the Beckenham.

Unfortunately my father died a couple of weeks ago and I have only stumbled across this thread in the course of writing about his life.

Could I ask whether any of you remember him or worked with him?

Much appreciated.

Simon

Hi
I too sailed on the Chertsey to the Sicily invasion and on the Maycrest immediately afterwards Trevor Jones? was he in the catering and from Porth in Wales

?????????

stores
29th April 2010, 18:42
My first two ships were WATTS WATTS the Chertsey1943.......invasion of SIcily.. and the Maycrest late 1943......... later sunk and used at Dunkirk as a block ship MULBERRy?

hi can u confirm the maycrest was managed by watts watts please , STORES

stores
29th April 2010, 18:47
did any, one remember my father JIMMY WILDING, he was chief steward on ss fort augustus managed by watts watts have tried to get his MN history from public records office buy no luck , he sailed on other watts ships as well but i cant find out which ones , any help appreciated , STORES.

cjj
22nd January 2012, 17:56
Hello Edward,
My grandfather was the chippy on the Willesden and i believe he was on the Australian trip around 1949;
do you have any recollections of him?
Regards
Chris Johnston

cjj
22nd January 2012, 17:58
John, which ships were they?
Chris

johnar
30th January 2012, 10:57
I was on a Watts Watts ship; the SS Willesden. She was originally a wartime built empire boat. We went from Tilbury to Sydney in 1949 then to Japan and Vancouver and home via Panama. I think that they were a very good company. I have a photo of her taken in Sydney Harbour

Hi arthur,My father, James Johnston,signed on the WILLESDEN, as "chippy" at Tilbury 13.12.49. He unfortunately died days later and was buried at sea off nw France . Do you have any recollections of this happening?

cheers,Roger---

gretaston
4th February 2012, 21:17
hi i sailed on the wanstead, my brother on beaconsfield and woolwich, am writing a history of watts watts ships, would be grateful for any photos, cheers, stores.

Hello Stores, I dont know if this is for you but if you type in your search engine, SHIPS, TIPS AND OTHER THINGS AT BARRY DOCKS.
you will see a ship called the GREENWICH loading coal in no, 2 dock,
I belive her to be built in 1943 by, wm, doxford & sons ltd, sunderland
owner BRITAIN S.S. CO, Ld, managed by (watt, watt & co.)O.N. 169615.
Kind Regards, Gretaston.

stan carter
9th August 2012, 15:37
My name is Jeff Richens
I served my apprenticeshop with Watts Watts.My first ship was the SS Twickenham under the Command of Capt Dougy Martin sailing to West Africa.I joined the MV Greenwich at Avonmouth under the command of Capt Eric Pierce sailing to Cuba for sugar to Japan.Then to Australia.New Caledonia Japan New Calidonionia.Nauru Australia a few times before a cargo of wheat home.
I then joined the MV Wimbledon in Glasgow again under the command of Captain Dougy Martin for her maiden voyage to Miami,Mexico,USA,Japan and Canada.
I also served on the MV Windsor,Wokingham and Woodford before rejoining the MV Wimbledon under the command of Mo King.
It would be nice to chat to any body that remembers back to those good old days.

was on the greenwichdec 55 june 56, paid off in avonmouth end of june 56, it's next trip i remember was to japan. wonder if that was before your trip. we joined her in rotterdam for the states , aus,nz back to the states, canada and home. due to cate staff jumping ship was promoted to ass stew from deck boy, for the trip home. just as well because i was in debt to the ship when we left the nz coast. good times.

william middleton
23rd December 2012, 10:22

HI ALBERT I WAS ON THE GREENWICH AS EDH FROM 10TH MAY1957 TO 4TH SEPT.1958 MY DISCHARGE BOOK WE JOINED IN ANTWERP AND PAID OFF IN HULL IF MY MEMORY IS CORRECT OUR LAST CARGO WAS FROM NARU IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PACIFIC.WAS THIS THE SHIP THAT THE FIRST MATE DIED AND WAS BURIED AT SEAMY E MAIL IS W.MIDDLETON13@NTLWOLD.COM

PTK39
15th April 2014, 09:30
Hello
My Dad was on the Twickenham in 1956 and the Wendover in 1957. He loves to talk about it. PM me if you would like to ask him anything.
His name is Peter Kearney.
Thanks

Brian Rowlings
22nd April 2014, 09:48
I joined the Beckenham as deck boy (first trip) on 27th August 1953. We sailed from South Shields for Igarka in Russia to load dressed timber. On the return journey we ran aground on Novaya Zembla, spent several days trying to get refloated then abandoned her in the middle of the night on October 11th. Spent the night on the beach and were picked up by the Russians the next day. We were taken to Archangel where we spent a week in a hotel. Then travelled home via Leningrad, Helsinki, Turku, Stockholm, Gothenburg and Tilbury. As far as I van remember she was a good ship with a cafeteria instead of the usual mess rooms. Quite an exciting trip for the first one. The other two deck boys, whose names I don't remember, were also first trippers.

Brian Rowlings.