Merchant Ships, Talbot and Booth, 1943

bob5111
24th October 2010, 11:29
I bought this fascinating book a year ago. It is over a 1,000 pages packed with information of Merchant Shipping in 1943. In addition to photographs and descriptions of many ships it also has information on funnel markings of all shipping lines, line drawings and details of shipping companies of all Nations,
regards,
Bob

Trampshipman
2nd December 2010, 14:24
I bought this fascinating book a year ago. It is over a 1,000 pages packed with information of Merchant Shipping in 1943. In addition to photographs and descriptions of many ships it also has information on funnel markings of all shipping lines, line drawings and details of shipping companies of all Nations,
regards,
Bob

Bob,
Where did you get this book ? Would really love to know whether it can still be obtained. Can you post ISBN and any details ?

Ken.

Shipbuilder
3rd December 2010, 19:11
They don't have ISBN numbers! I have the years 1939, 42, 49, 59 and 63. I got the whole lot from either Ebay or www.bookfinder.com They still turn up from time to time, but can be quite expensive, the earlier ones being 50 or more. Exceptional books with a wealth of information. All the Talbot-Booths are good, especially the "Dumpy" series. Small books 5.5 inches by 4.25 inches, but 2 inches thick!
Highly recommended.
Bob

jatabad
13th December 2010, 04:09
Hi, I came here looking for information on the Merchant Ship by Talbot-Booth 1943. I have one that I want to sell, but need to get value info first, where do you guys find this kind of info out? Its a blue book. I also have some prints that are of different vessels and signed by Clayton R. Slawter in 1943. A Sea Watch list for the 1926-1927 voyage of Captain James Griffiths on his Sueja III that was designed by Leary it was a personal 122 ft yacht that was commissioned for war use in the 40's. I am thinking it might be the only one, because there were only a few guests on the trip and it was their schedule for seawatch duty. I also have some WWII charter maps, Any thoughts??

Shipbuilder
13th December 2010, 07:32
Jatabad,
My previous post (above) answered your question regarding the Talbot-Booth books. Go to www.bookfinder.com and you will get a large list of them with the current value.
Bob

R58484956
13th December 2010, 15:45
Greetings Jatabad and welcome to SN.

jatabad
14th December 2010, 04:49
Thank you Bob, I did notice and immediately went to that link, I was surprised how many different books came up. I appreciate your help. I am trying to find information on the a Sea Wacth List too, and some old shipping vessel prints. Have a great evening.

Shipbuilder
14th December 2010, 07:49
For the photographs, or other nautical items, if you go to Ebay and put "ship photographs" in the search, you will find lots and lots and be able to see how much they sell for.
Bob

bob5111
3rd January 2011, 21:04
Bob,
Where did you get this book ? Would really love to know whether it can still be obtained. Can you post ISBN and any details ?

Ken.

Hi Ken,
I bought the book at a model and book exhibition in Explosions Museum, Gosport for 50.00. Afraid I cannot help any further but hopefully the other replies have helped you,
kind regards,
Bob