Grandfather Search - Lady Lavinia Hull Trawler

RayFraser
24th October 2010, 22:41
Hi All,

Im new to this web site and it's forums. I have been researching my family history and have discovered that my Grandfather died on the Lady Lavinia off Norway (all hands lost). The Lady Lavinia sailed from Hull in Feb 1938 and was last heard of in the middle of March.

My Grandfather was Charles James (Walker) Harrison, he was the Mate and the Captain was Jacob Walker (His Step Brother), the story I have been told was that Charles was a Captain in his own right but his Trawler was in dry dock for repairs, so as a favour and to earn some money Jacob invited Charles on the trip.

My Father and his Twin Brother also where trawlerman Alfred COLIN Harrison (Hull) & Clifford Harrison (Withernsea), I have just met my father recently and I am really interested in any stories/photos form either the Lady Lavinia and/or my Father & Uncle.

All The Best Ray

cueball44
25th October 2010, 17:11
Hi All,

Im new to this web site and it's forums. I have been researching my family history and have discovered that my Grandfather died on the Lady Lavinia off Norway (all hands lost). The Lady Lavinia sailed from Hull in Feb 1938 and was last heard of in the middle of March.

My Grandfather was Charles James (Walker) Harrison, he was the Mate and the Captain was Jacob Walker (His Step Brother), the story I have been told was that Charles was a Captain in his own right but his Trawler was in dry dock for repairs, so as a favour and to earn some money Jacob invited Charles on the trip.

My Father and his Twin Brother also where trawlerman Alfred COLIN Harrison (Hull) & Clifford Harrison (Withernsea), I have just met my father recently and I am really interested in any stories/photos form either the Lady Lavinia and/or my Father & Uncle.

All The Best RayThe ''Lady Lavinia''-H160- Fate 05- 03- 1938. ''The Lady Lavinia'' was homeward bound from Bear Island, she foundered off Norway in extreme weather, her last contact was with the ''Lord Austin'' when she reported being hove to in the gale. If you click on ''Sidewinders- Hull Trawler'' you will come to the list of all Hull Trawlers and there you will find a good photograph of ''Lady Lavinia'' in St Andrews Dock Hull. There is also a list of the crewmen who were lost with her beneath the photograph. 'cueball44'

gkh151
25th October 2010, 17:31
Hi Ray

http://hulltrawler.net/Sidewinder/Vessel%20-%20Lady/LADY%20LAVINIA%20H160.htm

The link above will take you to the info in Cueball44's post.

Graham

RayFraser
25th October 2010, 18:32
Thanks Guys, this link and picture is the only piece off information which I had already come across on the internet I have also been to the Hull History Centre and copied articles from the Hull Daily Mail in relation to the sinking of the Lady Lavinia - thanks Ray

krathome
25th October 2010, 23:26
Hi, I presume you found the article re the Lady Lavinia in the HDM date 19 June 2007. There's a photo of them with their parents (my great grandparents) and their brothers and sisters (including my grandmother Elizabeth Margaret Walker) We also have a copy of the photo somewhere in the family. My grandmother always said another brother would have died too except he slept in and missed the sailing. I'm also trying to find any information on my grandfather Charles Brummitt who died in 1939 following some sort of accident, he and my grandmother are the parents of my Mother.

RayFraser
26th October 2010, 21:09
Hi, I presume you found the article re the Lady Lavinia in the HDM date 19 June 2007. There's a photo of them with their parents (my great grandparents) and their brothers and sisters (including my grandmother Elizabeth Margaret Walker) We also have a copy of the photo somewhere in the family. My grandmother always said another brother would have died too except he slept in and missed the sailing. I'm also trying to find any information on my grandfather Charles Brummitt who died in 1939 following some sort of accident, he and my grandmother are the parents of my Mother.

Hi Krathome, I have a copy of the article dated 19/07/2007, I have actually met Lavina and she gave me the photo to copy and put in my files, Jennie Daysley (main lady in photo) was married to Thomas W Harrison, Thomas died in 1909, aged about 26 (not sure of reason for death still trying to find that out), so Charles would have been 4yrs old when his father died. Jennie remarried John Arthur Walker, hence Charles becoming a part of the Walker family. So does that means your Great Grandmother is also my Great Grandmother (Gleam) I am going to arrange to meet Lavina next week to return some items she lent me, I will pass on this info to her (her mother is also in the photo - Cheers Ray

krathome
26th October 2010, 22:57
Hi, Yes we do share our great Grandmother and Lavinia is my aunt, but please don't say anything to her as I'm been trying to suprise my mother by finding more out about her father Charles Brummitt (but not Lavinia's father), hence my research and I'm not sure Lavinia could keep it a secret. Thanks for the info re Jennie, my mother was very close to her but I didn't know her maiden name and could only guess why she had sons with a different surname.

RayFraser
26th October 2010, 23:24
No worries mate, lips sealed, if you have or find out any more info on Jennie then that would be good. I think in those days when a husband died you find they got married again very quick, no social hand outs then so would be extremely difficult to survive with children and no husband earning, I have come across the quite a lot at the turn and to the mid of century, when Charles died his wife got married within a couple of years.

jonny walker
13th November 2012, 00:50
The ''Lady Lavinia''-H160- Fate 05- 03- 1938. ''The Lady Lavinia'' was homeward bound from Bear Island, she foundered off Norway in extreme weather, her last contact was with the ''Lord Austin'' when she reported being hove to in the gale. If you click on ''Sidewinders- Hull Trawler'' you will come to the list of all Hull Trawlers and there you will find a good photograph of ''Lady Lavinia'' in St Andrews Dock Hull. There is also a list of the crewmen who were lost with her beneath the photograph. 'cueball44'
Hi
cueball im new to this but wondering if you have any more info on the lady lavinia as my great grandad was the skipper(jacob walker)