Benreoch

albertwebster
20th November 2005, 21:59
NAME: BENREOCH.(OFFICIAL No.: 184037).BUILT BY: C. CONNELL & Co. Ltd., GLASGOW.LAUNCHED: 11th AUGUST 1952.COMPLETED OCTOBER 1952.YARD No.: 472.TONNAGE: 10,142 grt, 5,920 net. 12,240 dwt.LENGTH: 482 feet. BEAM: 64 feet.DRAUGHT: 30 feet.SPEED: 17 knots.MACHINERY: STEAM TURBINES (2), 9,350 shp BY D. ROWAN & Co. Ltd., GLASGOW.

I JOINED THE BENREOCH ON THE 4th NOVEMBER 1955 AT THE WEST INDIA DOCKS IN LONDON. SHE WAS ONLY THREE YEARS OLD AND WAS THE LAST WORD IN LUXURY AS FAR AS I WAS CONCERNED, A CABIN TO MYSELF EVEN, AIR CONDITIONING, EVEN A SWIMMING POOL, ALTHOUGH A SWIMMING POOL DURING WINTER IN LONDON WAS THE LAST THING ON MY MIND.
I DID A TOTAL OF THREE ROUND VOYAGES ON THE BENREOCH, BUT, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I FOUND THAT GOING FROM LONDON TO SINGAPORE AND BACK GETTING BORING, SO I FINALLY SIGNED OFF FOR GOOD ON THE 2nd AUGUST 1956.

THE BENREOCH WAS SOLD FOR FURTHER TRADING DURING MAY 1976 TO THE TUDIS NAVIGATION Co. S.A. OF GREECE AND RENAMED TUDIS.

ON THE 16th MARCH 1979 SHE ARRIVED AT KAOHSIUNG, FORMOSA, FOR BREAKING UP BY THE GI YUEN STEEL ENTERPRISE Co.

BENREOCH IS A 661 FOOT MOUNTAIN BETWEEN THE HEAD OF LOCH LONG AND LOCH LOMOND IN ARGYLSHIRE.

ruud
14th December 2005, 15:36
Ahoy Albert,

Here your Benroach

albertwebster
16th December 2005, 20:42
Thanks for the photo Ruud. Sorry for the delay in answering, I have just come back on line after a virus crippled me. Sorry, not me, my laptop.

regards. Albert.

binliner
24th June 2006, 01:13
took the reoch to the scrappers no swimming pool on board last few years in benline every voyage scrapping voyage before moving offshore

Paul Barford
24th October 2006, 17:52
Sure you took her to the scrappers?

She was my first Ben-boat in 1972, I went aboard to visit Willie (Yam-sing)Grey 2/E in Hull, can't remeber the date, but the ship had just been bought by the Greeks. Willie had agreeed to sail with her until first load port providing they guarenteed he had beer! At that time he was confined to the coast only and was going into the Med as far as I remember. One of the characters of the day!
(Thumb) Paul

jack gault
3rd January 2007, 21:25
Hi Albert,Just heard about this site recently. I joined the Ben Reoch on the day you paid off on the 2nd August 1956.I was sailing on 1st my trip in the Merchant Navy as Deck Boy after 3 months at the Dolphin Leith.Still have my original Discharge Book No 654265. Masters name was W Eyton-Jones and the mate was a chap McPhee.I heard Mcphee lived in Aberdeen as did another couple of the crew. Only did 2 trips in the MN and worked ashore for 3 years then went fishing for 25 years mostly seine net and trawling, 20 years Stand By (North Star) and Supply ships. Retired 2 years ago.

I cant remember there being a swimming pool aboard the Ben Reoch in my time. I now stay in Elgin

EBenarty
3rd January 2007, 22:54
Hi Jack,
Welcolm!! I sailed with Bob McPhee when he was Captain (some man ) but I got on great with him. Unfortunately Bob died a couple of years ago, he ended up on the as OIM on Ben Line Oil Rigs and stayed in Inverurie outside Aberdeen. But Bob was from Torrie in Aberdeen and proud of it !!
He started of as deck boy in Ben Line and ended up as Master. He was a pleasure to sail with, but afew AB's may disagree with me as he seldom logged anyone - Allways offering No. 4 hatch for a boxing match first !! I do not think he lost a match !! Changed days !!

EBenarty
3rd January 2007, 22:59
Hi Albert,Just heard about this site recently. I joined the Ben Reoch on the day you paid off on the 2nd August 1956.I was sailing on 1st my trip in the Merchant Navy as Deck Boy after 3 months at the Dolphin Leith.Still have my original Discharge Book No 654265. Masters name was W Eyton-Jones and the mate was a chap McPhee.I heard Mcphee lived in Aberdeen as did another couple of the crew. Only did 2 trips in the MN and worked ashore for 3 years then went fishing for 25 years mostly seine net and trawling, 20 years Stand By (North Star) and Supply ships. Retired 2 years ago.

I cant remember there being a swimming pool aboard the Ben Reoch in my time. I now stay in Elgin

We used to build our own swimming pools out of 4 by 2 and lined with a hatch tarpaulin they were great. The pools were even bigger than the Ledi's

EBenarty
3rd January 2007, 23:04

She was my first Ben-boat in 1972, I went aboard to visit Willie (Yam-sing)Grey 2/E in Hull, can't remeber the date, but the ship had just been bought by the Greeks. Willie had agreeed to sail with her until first load port providing they guarenteed he had beer! At that time he was confined to the coast only and was going into the Med as far as I remember. One of the characters of the day!
(Thumb) Paul

I remember Yam Sing Grey well he was on the Nevis with me - WHAT A MAN !!
He got called with his COFFEE at 0400 before going on watch, but a great engineeer!!

Paul Barford
4th January 2007, 13:52
Your right ebenarty, he was a hell of an engineer, at least before noon! By late afternoon he 'tailed-off' a bit. I did a few coasts with him and my fiancee (now wife) was his 'bookies runner' when in Hull...happy days !!

EBenarty
4th January 2007, 22:15
Your right ebenarty, he was a hell of an engineer, at least before noon! By late afternoon he 'tailed-off' a bit. I did a few coasts with him and my fiancee (now wife) was his 'bookies runner' when in Hull...happy days !!

Aye agree with you !!! I forgot about his wee liking for the bookies - he used to get some good tips ,as I remember we had a syndicate and we did well !!(K) Billy

Ali Bain
9th August 2007, 15:44
(Thumb) Yam Sing Grey deserves a thread to himself..!!!!
Now there was a character. I had the pleasure of voyaging with him on the Benvannoch, think that was in 1974. That must have been about the end of him voyaging, he used to struggle a wee bit for 04:00hrs. but I had great respect for the man and certainly learned a lot from him. We hammered the worklist the first month on the Far East coast and after that we enjoyed a lot of "job and knock"
The result was that we had the best Far East coast I can remember. Or should I say half remember.
Ali. Bain.

john fraser
9th August 2007, 16:38
Remember the story about Yam Sing when he went with the Greek crew to show them how the Benreochs engine worked,seems none of the Greeks had steam experience.When the Greek master rationed the beer.Willie just shut the job down.His answer. " No Beer.No Steam".Indeed a great character.

Ali Bain
9th August 2007, 17:02
(K) Was Yam Sing one of the "survivors" from the infamous Benveg which sailed between Singapore and Bangkok?
Ali. Bain.

Paul Barford
11th August 2007, 16:02
Your right Ali,
Willie was a 'suvivor' of the Benveg, where if I remember correctly, he sailed as Chief.
He openly admitted that although he had the best time of his life,it was the start of his downfall and used to get quite remorseful when he spoke about it.Quite sad really, but a few tinnies used to cheer him up again.

Paul Barford
3rd September 2007, 19:26
We used to build our own swimming pools out of 4 by 2 and lined with a hatch tarpaulin they were great. The pools were even bigger than the Ledi's

Here's a picture of our home made pool on the Bennevis in 1973, we used to transfer roughly 50 tons of bunkers to counteract the pool when full!(Thumb)

(That's me in it by the way)

Dave T
5th October 2007, 21:04
Albert

Joined Ben Line in Sept 1972 and Benreoch was first ship for coast and voyage. Master A. Hay, C/O P. Dixon, 1/0 M. Kay C/E R. Dale.
Almost the first person I ran into was a steward Charlie Farmer. A bit of an eye opener for a 16 year old to be met with a man using spoons as guns and thinking he was Clint Eastwoods double.
I met up with Muir Kay again on the rigs after I had transferred to Atlantic Drilling. I am now with Stena and still some of the old Ben Line hands around.
I have various photos and old cargo plans from these times and when I get around to getting a scanner will try to upload them.

Great site and good to relive some very happy days

Dave T

Paul Barford
6th October 2007, 12:52
Dave,
you bring back memories of another 'infamous' character ! He was on the 'Reoch when I was there and sailed with him on the coast a few times. Last time was on the Grey Fighter where he was in competition and tried to outdo another steward who was known as the Fonz. Hilarious times !
Paul

Iain T
19th October 2008, 19:04
Hi Dave T, am I right in thinking you are Dave Thow and we sailed together on the Benreoch in 1972 & 73? I've just joined SN and been reading through the many Ben Line threads. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Best regards
Iain Tulloch, Lerwick.

Dave T
20th October 2008, 16:56
Iain

One in the same.I am working up in your part of the world at the moment on the Stena Spey. A far cry from the times we had together. I was with Ben Line until they sold out the last of their drilling intersts in 1996. This is a great site and one of these days I will get the gear to post some photo's I have.

Dave Thow

Iain T
21st October 2008, 12:30
Hi Dave
Amazing after all those years! Yes it is a great site and I have only joined a few days ago and already several names, etc are ringing bells! I was in touch with Muir Kay just before Christmas when he was off here on a rig. Still also keep in touch with Alistair Gibson and Terry Rowe and a few others locally. Met Alan Pedan in April at the Inst of Chartered Shipbrokers dinner in Edinburgh - first since 1973 at Leith Nautical College!! Several of the psvs' call into Lerwick from the Stena Spey from time to time. Good to hear fae you and will keep in touch. All the best, Iain.

dom
21st October 2008, 12:52
Albert

Joined Ben Line in Sept 1972 and Benreoch was first ship for coast and voyage. Master A. Hay, C/O P. Dixon, 1/0 M. Kay C/E R. Dale.
Almost the first person I ran into was a steward Charlie Farmer. A bit of an eye opener for a 16 year old to be met with a man using spoons as guns and thinking he was Clint Eastwoods double.
I met up with Muir Kay again on the rigs after I had transferred to Atlantic Drilling. I am now with Stena and still some of the old Ben Line hands around.
I have various photos and old cargo plans from these times and when I get around to getting a scanner will try to upload them.

Dave T

just caught up with this thread,was the stwd. Charlie Farmer from Leith

john fraser
21st October 2008, 20:12
just caught up with this thread,was the stwd. Charlie Farmer from Leith
Dom.
You are right.Charlie used to spend his leave in Leith.staying in the Mission there.I remember a story that when he run out of money to pay his accommodation,he used to meet someone staying there and sneak in at the same time, past the desk ,on his hands and knees.and sleep on the floor of whoever he mets room.I do believe he actually belonged to the North Berwick area. We could write a book about Charlie and his exploits.I sailed with Charlie quite a lot and still didn,t get to know all about him.

ian keyl
22nd October 2008, 01:54
HI John,

When ashore in 29 Bernard st in Leith, we used to have all the ben Line deck and catering crew on the ben pool awaiting further orders lads fromEdinburgh, Aberdeen and all points around the scottish coast, Charlie comes to mind that he used to stay with a sister some where near bye.
When we used to send out joining letters ,Charlie would appear at the office a couple of days later asking if rejoining/joining letters had been sent out. He would be told yes and he would claim he had not recived his ,we would quote his address and he would then say Oh! well I am not there,he was a bug---roo for that stunt . Then we would have to try and get the rail warrant and the joining expenses in postal order form back all 15schillings ( I think). Recalling some of the old charactors Joe adams from Aberdeen with his ever blunt letters on his typewriter with fading letters on the menus of stovies ,rowies/buttries ,Willie Dutch ,I remember meeting him on the Benavon first trip wondering around the alley ways withjust his towel wrapped round his belly. There was also the shore side Ch Stewd who used to come down to all the vessels when they were taking on stores, when a case of beer would co missing he would tramp around trying to find it , we used to have Buchan and Hogg from Leith for dry goods and another company for deck and engineroom stores, Then they changed t a company in Hull Huttons and also Southern Ships stores in Soton. On Deck we would have Charlie Sedgewick, Davey Drunmmond,Charlie MacCorkindale,Andy Daniels,The Broon, The wee Beast Wullie Macgregor, John MacNiel, John MacKiver and many more great people.
Come on lads get the tales out of your Davey Jones and Mabel Mae lockers.

Rgds ian.

celsis
25th October 2008, 12:05
Albert

Dave T

Jeez, i remember Charlie Farmer! Sailed with on a few jobs but the Cramond in Chile comes to mind! He went ashore dressed like a cowboy and spoke perfect Spanish. Complete nutcase but totally harmless!

Eltel
27th October 2008, 19:28
Hi Dave
Amazing after all those years! Yes it is a great site and I have only joined a few days ago and already several names, etc are ringing bells! I was in touch with Muir Kay just before Christmas when he was off here on a rig. Still also keep in touch with Alistair Gibson and Terry Rowe and a few others locally. Met Alan Pedan in April at the Inst of Chartered Shipbrokers dinner in Edinburgh - first since 1973 at Leith Nautical College!! Several of the psvs' call into Lerwick from the Stena Spey from time to time. Good to hear fae you and will keep in touch. All the best, Iain.

Hi Iain,

Goos to see you here. How are tricks? Terry.

Iain T
14th November 2008, 15:25
Hi Terry, it's amazing seeing all the people who use this site! I'm fine, working away - now in port control at Lerwick since May this year. A nice change from agency and shipbroking/chartering. How are things with you?

john fraser
15th November 2008, 02:37
Hi Iain.
Never sailed with you in Ben Line but remember seeing yourself and Inky in one of the magazines.I remember you from Lerwick when I was on Simon Labrador and Northern Explorer.See you are now in Port Control,How is my old shipmate from the early 60,s Alan Brevik doing.Give him my regards.

Iain T
22nd November 2008, 07:55
Hi John, many thanks for your mesage and good to hear from you. Remember both these vessels in Lerwick and being onboard as port agents. Seems a long time ago!! Allan Brevik has clocked up 40 years with the harbour, serving on the pilot boats and latterly in port control. He has just finished his final shift last week and is off on holiday, his official last day being Dec 12. I will be seeing him next Friday, Nov 28 for his send off and will pass on your regards to him. Apologies for the delay in replying but have been on leave and just back on nights! Gales and snow here!!
Best regards, Iain.

Eltel
3rd December 2008, 16:26
Iain, still working offshore in Liverpool Bay. Presently in Birkenhead drydock then off on 23rd for Chrimbo & New Year. Terry.

Iain T
6th December 2008, 15:44
Hi Terry, that's fine, good your getting off for the festive season. Will be in touch then. Met up with Alastair G in Leith recently when in Edinburgh. had a bite to eat in The Jungle! (Kings Wark). Cheers, Iain.

kenmack
26th August 2009, 18:25
I paid off her in Dublin (can't remember when) where the Greeks were taking her over. If I remember correctly a couple of Engineers, maybe just the Second or Chief, had agreed to sail with them to their loading port. I was told she would do some dirty cargos such as coal and then they'd scrap her or sell her on.

(Thumb) Paul