port line history

jg grant
3rd November 2010, 09:33
Hi from Nz. I have just received a wonderful copy of a book on the history of the port line. THE TYSER LEGACY ISBN 0959783415
IAN FARQUHAR. Great story, great pictures some in colour of a great company. Hope you guys can pick up a copy.
Regards From NZ Ronnie

Glyn Howell
12th November 2010, 16:03
Ronnie,
Thanks for the info. I assume that you have had something to do with Port Line. My uncle, Captain Arthur Howell joined The Commonwealth and Dominion Line, later changed to Port Line in 1915 when he joined the Port Kembla as Chief Officer. He was Mate on the Port Adelaide when she was torpedoed on the 3rd February 1917. On being rescued he joined the Port Alma and when the Captain died he took over command at the age age of 27. Alas he died in the massive epidemic of flu in Wellington in 1918 and lies buried in Karori Cemetery, Plot E.62. I spent 47 years at sea, 27 as Master and never went to NZ, which is a shame. I will try and locate the book.

Thanks Glyn

KYRENIA
12th November 2010, 16:45
Ronnie,Hi.
Bought this book when first published. Well worth the money. A good companion to the "Port Line" history. Both purchased through Shipsinfocus in the UK.
Cheers, John.

jg grant
14th November 2010, 20:40
Glynn #2. Hi from Auckland. An interesting story Glynn. A shame you never got here to visit your relatives' grave. No, I never was on the Port line ships. I do have historys of the NZSCo and Cairn Thompson line on whose ships I worked. My wife works in the library locally and she keeps an eye out for books of interest to me. It will have to go back in a week or so.It appears to be produced locally and I don't know if it's available offshore. Regards to all, Ronnie

jg grant
21st November 2010, 07:05
Hi Kyrenia #3
sorry mate I didn't read your post. I see you said the book is available UK. Regards Ronnie