RAS Mishaps

NickNZ
5th November 2010, 18:25
I have always been interested by the process of RAS, but know little about it beyond the fact that it is always cited as a 'hazardous' manoeuvre. But have only read of one (minor) incident, involving US Navy ships.
Have there been many 'events'? And have there been any serious incidents ? Or is it just a potentially hazardous operation?

Anixtu
5th November 2010, 18:47
The most serious incident that I am aware of is discussed here: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=21392

BUGGINS
5th November 2010, 20:10
the Fittleton accident was not strictly speaking a RAS, it was a heaving line transfer although it did demonstrate the unfortunate effect of intership action.

hillshepherd
7th November 2010, 04:16
NickNZ - I would say there are roughly two kinds of mishaps: during the approach when things can go wrong through interaction or misjudgement. I remember HMS Bulwark had a serious bump with RFA Tidepool making practice runs around 1977. Also on approaches there can be serious risk to deck crews in smaller ships - great care needs to be exercised in selecting the RAS course in bad weather. The second category is coming alongside or parting company when altering course (Corpen November), or through loss of power or steering. I am aware of several of these collisions (Gold Rover/Arrow for example, steering failure)) and have seen quite a number of unplanned separations. Fortunately none as serious as the tragic Mermaid incident and most damage was superficial and confined to deck fittings, derricks, hoses and wires etc.