MV Pacific Ocean, Loch Long

douglasjamesmichael
21st November 2005, 22:32
I was pleased to see the Pacific Ocean - in her Tirfing colours - I joined her in 1975 at Brest France when she had just been taken over by Denholm Ship management of Glasgow. As the Loch Long I spent 6 months onboard as an Engineering Officer.
After joining, we sailed for Montevideo and Bahia Blanca, returning to Rotterdam. We went back to Bahia Blanca then back to Helsingborg Sweden discharged then proceeded to Drydock in Gothenberg. After Drydock we proceeded to Esbjerg Denmark loading Chicken ( Frozen), then to Rotterdam, more chicken, then to Le Harve, more chicken, Brest frozen food various. Upon completion of loading we proceeded to Alexandria through the Suez Canal to Jeddah for the first discharge, then round to Gulf for discharge at Muscat I was relieved at Dubia.
During the voyages we had several mechanical problems.....
The Main Engine was an 8 Cyl Gotaverken Diesel - the Gensets were powered by Bergen Diesels

The bottom end in No1 Cylinder seized and came through the side casing of the engine demolishing No1 gen set.

routine servicing included Liner Changes, Genset overhauls, Pump Overhauls, centrifuge overhauls.

When Denholm's took her over she had seen service on Tirfing ( Brostrom) Pacific Ocean Service along with her sister ship White Ocean - Citrus fruit from Florida to Japan, down to Australia for red eye steaks for the USA.

I have a lot of photos of this voyage....

Orcadian
2nd March 2006, 22:26
I joined the ship at the same time in Brest along with Duncan cant remember his second name from greenock we were both deck cadets. Guy called Chris Jackson joind when ray heeps paid of.
I poaid of in Dubai up the gulf as well. I dont recall your name. Bob and brenda were on board with their boy. Irish lass was third engineers wife air lingus stewardess i think. Three wive paid of pregnant that trip she was the first one then Brenda the Dave westcott wife. Great trip and good food on the way out to the gulf.

Malky Glaister
30th December 2010, 23:25
Denholms took this vessel over in Newark late 1974. I joined as third engineer. Chief Jimmy Halbert and JCE Davy Bisset. He went Chief and I 2nd when Halbert left. We sailed to Montreal via Boston with frozen beef on board. The Brostrom freezer chap came with us. First ever freezer cargo for the company was citrus from Bahia Blanca for Gothenburg in March 1975. It was a Johnstone line cargo. WE had to open all hatches at 0700 for inspection. This took place at around 10 am. Bollockings all round as the top hold temp was well below freezing point. Being me I pointed out that the air temp was about minus 5. Red Swedes faces, smirks from the Brits and my last ever freezer boat trip. B****stds

happy new year to all
Malky

Stephen J. Card
31st December 2010, 10:40
Denholms took this vessel over in Newark late 1974. I joined as third engineer. Chief Jimmy Halbert and JCE Davy Bisset. He went Chief and I 2nd when Halbert left. We sailed to Montreal via Boston with frozen beef on board. The Brostrom freezer chap came with us. First ever freezer cargo for the company was citrus from Bahia Blanca for Gothenburg in March 1975. It was a Johnstone line cargo. WE had to open all hatches at 0700 for inspection. This took place at around 10 am. Bollockings all round as the top hold temp was well below freezing point. Being me I pointed out that the air temp was about minus 5. Red Swedes faces, smirks from the Brits and my last ever freezer boat trip. B****stds

happy new year to all
Malky

Yes, Happy New Year!

Roger Mackrell would have been Mate on her then I think? He then stood by LOCH LOMOND at Chas Connells and I joined as 2nd Mate a couple of weeks before trials. The next 5 years were pretty damn good. I did get sent off for one stint in WELLPARK. I'd take a load of citrus any time over pig iron!

Stephen

Malky Glaister
2nd January 2011, 09:03
Roger was the mate. I have a lot of photos some place. Xmas was in Vera Cruz with no AC. No one looking forward to the first freezer cargo. The AC could not be run!. Eventually got it sorted and all went well but you can inagine what all and sundry were thinking! On the loaded voyage back to Gothenburg the camshaft drive chain snapped. That was long job with a lot of head scratching. Still it was also fixed and we got underway after quite a while.
I visited the Lomond whilst she was fitting out and was impressed but O got moved away from the freezers and onto the tankers and OBO's.
regards Malky

Stephen J. Card
2nd January 2011, 11:08
Roger was the mate. I have a lot of photos some place. Xmas was in Vera Cruz with no AC. No one looking forward to the first freezer cargo. The AC could not be run!. Eventually got it sorted and all went well but you can inagine what all and sundry were thinking! On the loaded voyage back to Gothenburg the camshaft drive chain snapped. That was long job with a lot of head scratching. Still it was also fixed and we got underway after quite a while.
I visited the Lomond whilst she was fitting out and was impressed but O got moved away from the freezers and onto the tankers and OBO's.
regards Malky

Malky,

Pls post the photos some day.

Too bad you didn't stay with the 'Reefer Division'. I came to them from the tankers and OBO's and never regretted it... even managed to keep Grade 1 salary scale!

A few years later I was sitting at Helen Barr's desk, picking up joining letters etc for the MAREE. Frank McNeilage walked by... he was looking for a mate to go out to the MUIRFIELD. He looked at me and said, "You have OBO experience, don't you?". I quickly replied, "No!"... and even managed to keep a straight face.

Do you remember our first C/E on the LOMOND, Mr C. O'Doulou?

Stephen

Malky Glaister
2nd January 2011, 12:13
I'll have alook for the pics.
George Christadolou (?). Did he not jump ship somewhere? You got lucky missing out Muirfield thats for sure!
regards Malky

Stephen J. Card
2nd January 2011, 13:33
I'll have alook for the pics.
George Christadolou (?). Did he not jump ship somewhere? You got lucky missing out Muirfield thats for sure!
regards Malky

I think George ended up with Kaiser Shipyards in the US.

His favourite quote.... one of many...

"Mr Christian! Flog that man!"
" But he's dead, Captain Bligh!"
"Then flog his 'effin' gear!"

Told to me my Donald Ross when he was Mate on some vessel and George was C/E.

Sitting at the top table in the saloon. Donald (ex RAF Regiment) was wearing the Cyprus Star on his blue uniform. George asked him what the medal was.

"Cyprus Star. I fought in Cyprus."

George says, "Aye. I've got one as well... from the other bloody side!"

Stephen

xdenholm
21st January 2011, 10:02
I joined the ship at the same time in Brest along with Duncan cant remember his second name from greenock we were both deck cadets. Guy called Chris Jackson joind when ray heeps paid of.
I poaid of in Dubai up the gulf as well. I dont recall your name. Bob and brenda were on board with their boy. Irish lass was third engineers wife air lingus stewardess i think. Three wive paid of pregnant that trip she was the first one then Brenda the Dave westcott wife. Great trip and good food on the way out to the gulf.

did Dave Westcott not also sail on lomond/maree as 3rd engineer??was he a wee guy with a beard ? the name rings a bell,

muldonaich
21st January 2011, 12:30
dave westcott was 2nd mate brgds kev.

xdenholm
22nd January 2011, 19:34
dave westcott was 2nd mate brgds kev.

cheers kev , must be a different dave .atb(Thumb)

douglasjamesmichael
12th April 2011, 13:02
[QUOTE=Malky Glaister;480544]Denholms took this vessel over in Newark late 1974. I joined as third engineer. Chief Jimmy Halbert and JCE Davy Bisset. He went Chief and I 2nd when Halbert left. We sailed to Montreal via Boston with frozen beef on board. The Brostrom freezer chap came with us. First ever freezer cargo for the company was citrus from Bahia Blanca for Gothenburg in March 1975. It was a Johnstone line cargo. WE had to open all hatches at 0700 for inspection. This took place at around 10 am. Bollockings all round as the top hold temp was well below freezing point. Being me I pointed out that the air temp was about minus 5. Red Swedes faces, smirks from the Brits and my last ever freezer boat trip. B****stds

Who pinched the Bahia Blanca sign..the one that was hidden in the Sauna......it must have been acquired during that first trip?

Malky Glaister
12th April 2011, 13:16
Hi Douglas, Don't know who pinched that. We were in Bahia Blanca for some weeks waiting for the man from del Monte to say yes. The political bandits blew up the local brewery causing a major annoyance. We well looked after by the locals though. One of my best ever port stays. I think everyone onboard had a really good time!

regards Malky