Bank Line souvenirs...

Alan Rawlinson
8th November 2010, 07:48
A huge teak elephant ( not quite life size!) from Burma - kindly flown back by the Bank Line when paying off in Bathurst, W. Africa.

A New Guinea bow with hair string, complete with arrows. These are a couple of items cluttering up the place, which have survived the passage of time and several house moves, and which my wife calls junk!

Anyone have similar reminders?

pete
8th November 2010, 10:05
My Father had one of these Bows picked up in the '30's I believe. However I have a beautiful "Shrunken Head", it was Dad's but the Devil knows where THAT came from.....................pete

Winebuff
8th November 2010, 19:44
Picked up Bow & Arrows in Venezuela, decorative only (and with hindsight not very) still in the loft 34 years later.

Peter Smith

Joe C
8th November 2010, 19:56
A small wooden crocodile,marked" L M '57";a pair of ebony swallows from West Africa;a mulga wood plaque with the Aussie motto"A friend is not a fellow who is taken in by sham,a friend is one who knows our faults and doesn't give a damn";a pair of chipping goggles,stolen from the Fleetbank and a bloody tattoo,applied in Colombo.It's a wonder I survived it,crossed the Indian Ocean with a very scabby arm but fear of the 2nd Mate cured it.
Anything I bought of any value was sold to help with the" recreation fund!"

Joe C
8th November 2010, 20:02
My Father had one of these Bows picked up in the '30's I believe. However I have a beautiful "Shrunken Head", it was Dad's but the Devil knows where THAT came from.....................pete

Surely not........?

pete
8th November 2010, 21:11
Oh yes Joe, why?? would you like it?? free postage.....lol.................pete

xrm
9th November 2010, 17:59
Outrigger canoe - Suva; carved sharks - Tonga; war god carving - not sure from where. Place mats - South Pacific. Wooden Native Wood Tray - NZ. Carved wooden swords - Fiji.

Wife did have a suede suit from BA - still has the bag. Boomerangs etc etc ........

Oh yes, and a tattoo from Sydney - the mate did his nut - we were still apprentices then.

simomatra
11th November 2010, 19:32
A pair of elephants and a carved coffee table from India, a pair of hand blown bluebirds from the lake district and some expensive jewelery that I purchased in Ceylon at Mrs Captains insistence and guidance.

The jewelery is now kept in a safe due to the value. As a young fellow in my early twenties I am glad that I took the ladies advice.

The trusting salesperson even produced a blank cheque for me to make the payment and in due time it arrived at my bank in Oz, where i had no cheque account. The manager rang my mother to let her know. I had already written to mother so she went to the bank drew out the money from my saving account and honored the cheque.

I doubt if you would find that sort of trust around these days.

The amount in those days was a substantial amount.

I also have a hurricane glass and the serviettes from Pat O'Brien bar in New Orleans

Joe C
12th November 2010, 16:28
Oh yes Joe, why?? would you like it?? free postage.....lol.................pete

Many thanks Pete,but no thanks!

Charlie Stitt
12th November 2010, 16:34
Of all the bits and pieses I brought Home over the years ( most dust collecters, says Her in the kitchen) these tankards are my favourite. Quite a nice handfull in those handles. [=P] From Ceylon I think, the table also from around that region.

Joe C
12th November 2010, 16:41
Of all the bits and pieses I brought Home over the years ( most dust collecters, says Her in the kitchen) these tankards are my favourite. Quite a nice handfull in those handles. [=P] From Ceylon I think, the table also from around that region.

They look great,the Indian tables,similar to yours were early flat pack as I remember.Nothing's new is it?

Pocket*trout
12th November 2010, 21:46
Does a dose in Madagascar count as a souvenir.

pete
13th November 2010, 09:41
Pocket*trout..............only counts if you have the VD and Scar to prove it.....(Jester)(Jester)...................pete