Lucient / Monmouthbrook

PeterH
15th November 2010, 20:20
My grandfather, Peter Brant (from Sunderland) was on the Lucient - later renamed Monmouthbrook - for 18 yrs up to 1939. He sailed the last three years on this ship as 2nd Mate, with his son, Harry (AB). Apparently they did 50 trips a year between the NorthEast and London (gasworks) and were happy to have steady work!
I don't suppose there will be many around that remember them - Harry will be 96 years old in December - and is fighting fit!

Burned Toast
15th November 2010, 20:32
My grandfather, Peter Brant (from Sunderland) was on the Lucient - later renamed Monmouthbrook - for 18 yrs up to 1939. He sailed the last three years on this ship as 2nd Mate, with his son, Harry (AB). Apparently they did 50 trips a year between the NorthEast and London (gasworks) and were happy to have steady work!
I don't suppose there will be many around that remember them - Harry will be 96 years old in December - and is fighting fit!

North Thames gasboard ship, regular run Sunderland to Beckton Gas Works. managed by Stevie Clarkes of Newcastle.

Ray

BillH
15th November 2010, 21:36
LUCIENT / MONMOUTHBROOK
O.N. 142317. 1,879g. 1,115n. 270.6 x 38.2 x 18.0 feet.
T.3-cyl. engine manufactured by John Dickinson and Sons Ltd., Sunderland.
3.1918: Completed as LUCIENT by Wood, Skinner and Company Ltd., Newcastle, (Yard No.203), for the Gas Light and Coke Company , London.
1946: Purchased by the Williamstown Shipping Company Ltd., (Comben Longstaff & Company Ltd., managers), London, and renamed MONMOUTHBROOK.
3.4.1956: Arrived at Grays, Essex for demolition by T.W.Ward Ltd.

PeterH
16th November 2010, 10:47
Thanks Ray & Bill!

I'll have to add more photos of CL ships to the "Coaster" section.
My grandfather was also on the GL&C ship "Flamma".

Burned Toast
16th November 2010, 11:14
Thanks Ray & Bill!

I'll have to add more photos of CL ships to the "Coaster" section.
My grandfather was also on the GL&C ship "Flamma".

I did a few weeks on the sister ship to the Flamma -Firelight Bob Newcombe was the Skipper, nick named 1/2 kipper Bob(Pint)

Ray

Sheerlight
16th March 2014, 03:00
To Burned Toast,

Hi, I've just seen your post re having spent a few weeks on the Firelight (presumably after 1958 and after its repair from being torpedoed 4 November 1943). It had a bad time..even after repair it ploughed in fog into and sank a trawler, the Riviere, off Flamborough.

I'm trying to find many pictures at all of the Firelight, and any info re its war years or anyone else who sailed on it then as my father was on it went it was hit. Do you have a contact to lead me to maybe to the skipper who might know something more please?

Thanks