Sight that beholds us

EBenarty
20th November 2010, 22:52
As we arrive out of the dock gates in the Far East. What is this the name of this famous watering hole !!!

MARINEJOCKY
20th November 2010, 23:03
You need glasses, there is a huge frigging sign hanging on it.

marco nista
20th November 2010, 23:49
Unlikely to be forgotten by anyone who went to Bangkok.

The downfall of many a young seaman [& many not so young] who went ashore for a haircut & a swim at the Mission . . . .

Upstairs was definitely more superior [so my friend told me, of course].

73s

Marco

Don Matheson
21st November 2010, 04:16
Have to think really hard about this but will give it a go. Was it the MOSQUITO? I may have been misled but the huge sign above the door says so.
With thanks to MJ and Spec Savers. I have got an emergency phone number for Spec Savers if you feel the need.......................

Don

Ali Bain
21st November 2010, 09:08
Then the Venus, Golden Gate and the O.K. Corral if my fading memory serves me right, maybe even in that order?
Regards-Ali. Bain.

petemac46
22nd November 2010, 12:15
The question is do these watering holes still exist!!

Eltel
30th November 2010, 20:33
Then the Venus, Golden Gate and the O.K. Corral if my fading memory serves me right, maybe even in that order?
Regards-Ali. Bain.

I THINK it was the Mozzie, OK Coral and Venus with the Golden Gate right up the road - about 100 yds on the other side! When I was last there in 1977 we were using a wee place at the end of the Mozzie/Venus row called the Rose something?

john fraser
30th November 2010, 20:36
I THINK it was the Mozzie, OK Coral and Venus with the Golden Gate right up the road - about 100 yds on the other side! When I was last there in 1977 we were using a wee place at the end of the Mozzie/Venus row called the Rose something?

Was that the bars you passed as you went to the Mariners Club for your swim?

Trader
1st December 2010, 00:14
Does any one remember the Boustead Mission just outside the dock gate in Singapore in the 50's.

Alec.

Eltel
1st December 2010, 00:35

Nope, the ones I fell INTO after my swim, and nasi goring with satay, and Tom Collins, and a visit to the "Hole in the Wall" (was this the only w***e bar actually within a mariner's club/mission?).

Paul Barford
1st December 2010, 13:19

Think it was the Rose Gardens Terry,memory was 'fuzzy' then, so surprised I remember anything now !(Thumb)

Eltel
1st December 2010, 22:25
Think it was the Rose Gardens Terry,memory was 'fuzzy' then, so surprised I remember anything now !(Thumb)

You could well be right Paul, sounds vaguely familiar - would probably sound more familiar through a glass of Monkey & coke!

terence
2nd December 2010, 00:51
hey paul did they promise you a rose garden
terry music man

Paul Barford
2nd December 2010, 18:18
hey paul did they promise you a rose garden
terry music man

Think the only Rose around that time was from Vietnam!!!

WildBill
3rd December 2010, 12:46
I could hardly believe my eyes.
The infamous Mossie bar.
Anyone know if it still exists????

Eltel
4th December 2010, 22:06
I could hardly believe my eyes.
The infamous Mossie bar.
Anyone know if it still exists????

Don't know about that but I do know the Port View in Kelang has gone - they knocked it down and built the new port authority building on it! Now I wonder what happened to the Jungle Bar???!!!

Thats another Story
4th December 2010, 22:14
i spent a Christmas in singers we were invited to a swimming pool used i believe by the British army i can't think of the name also new year in sweatenham a kidney shaped one but names have long been forgotten anyone give me the names please.john

john fraser
4th December 2010, 22:18
i spent a Christmas in singers we were invited to a swimming pool used i believe by the British army i can't think of the name also new year in sweatenham a kidney shaped one but names have long been forgotten anyone give me the names please.john

John. Singapore would have been the Brit Club(Britannia Club)I think it was Beach Road. Last time I saw it after the Singapore Forces took over,it was overgrown with weeds.
Port Swettenham would have been the Mariners Club.

Thats another Story
4th December 2010, 22:26
thanks john Christmas we had a party on board for army nurses{from what i can remember} saying nothing about bugis street(Jester)

john fraser
5th December 2010, 09:55
thanks john Christmas we had a party on board for army nurses{from what i can remember} saying nothing about bugis street(Jester)

John. hope the army nurses weren,t the ladies from Bugis Street.

Thats another Story
5th December 2010, 10:10
no john the real thing ? i checked(Jester)(Thumb)

wully farquhar
5th December 2010, 17:22
As we arrive out of the dock gates in the Far East. What is this the name of this famous watering hole !!!

Think you are gettin a bit of a raggin aboot yer sight here Billy. (Thumb)(Jester)

john fraser
5th December 2010, 18:17
Think you are gettin a bit of a raggin aboot yer sight here Billy. (Thumb)(Jester)

Easy explanation Wully.A few drams in the officers bar or the cargo brand before Willy went ashore for his night out

wully farquhar
6th December 2010, 20:33
Aye i suppose that would be the answer John,wonder where he is never saw him replyin yet,maybe the Maldives eh!! :sweat:(LOL)

john fraser
6th December 2010, 21:10
Aye i suppose that would be the answer John,wonder where he is never saw him replyin yet,maybe the Maldives eh!! :sweat:(LOL)

Or in Bangkok.lifting the Ferret up to read the sign for him.or,maybe the Ferret is standing on Banana Kates shoulders,to read the sign and Willy is holding Banana Kate

makko
6th December 2010, 21:25
Don't know about that but I do know the Port View in Kelang has gone - they knocked it down and built the new port authority building on it! Now I wonder what happened to the Jungle Bar???!!!

What about the jungle bars out in the bush in Surabaya? If I remember correctly, there were about 27, Jungle Bar 1 through Jungle Bar 27! It was certainly eerie getting the trishaw back!
Regards,
Dave

dominic
6th December 2010, 22:45
Hi all.

Some more pictures and info here http://www.snesejler.dk/klong.htm

Ali Bain
7th December 2010, 18:18
Great link Dominic, thanks.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

dominic
7th December 2010, 21:46
Great link Dominic, thanks.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

No worries.

(Thumb)

EBenarty
8th December 2010, 21:39

Wully,
Nuthing weoong wae my eyesissaasssssggt I ussed t o geeeeeeet my plimsolls on when we got tae Bancock !!!!(Applause)

EBenarty
8th December 2010, 21:51
Or in Bangkok.lifting the Ferret up to read the sign for him.or,maybe the Ferret is standing on Banana Kates shoulders,to read the sign and Willy is holding Banana Kate

John you know them weel Yes I remember the Ferret down aft cooking a meal in a 45 Gallon drum and thou and the Chippy holding Banana Kate on your shoulders !!!!!!(A)

EBenarty
8th December 2010, 21:59
You need glasses, there is a huge frigging sign hanging on it.

But I bet you Like it !!!(Whaaa)

Derek Roger
8th December 2010, 22:55
A different level of entertainment Billy than the Argo . Derek o'the brocken leg .

richardwakeley
9th December 2010, 03:10
Yes, of course it's the Mosquito Bar, right outside the gate at Port Authority of
Thailand in Klong Toey. Next door to the "Mission". I did a job on a Thai ship at the buoys there a few years ago and have to report, unfortunately, that the Mozzy has long gone. Hardly any ships at the Klong Toey berths now, smaller container ships use a terminal just downstream. Big ships anchor at Ko Sichang.

wully farquhar
9th December 2010, 20:18
John you know them weel Yes I remember the Ferret down aft cooking a meal in a 45 Gallon drum and thou and the Chippy holding Banana Kate on your shoulders !!!!!!(A)

Oh oh John, you better come out and defend yoursel. (A)(Thumb)

john fraser
9th December 2010, 21:39
Oh oh John, you better come out and defend yoursel. (A)(Thumb)

Don,t believe Willy. Wully. and I thought it was mozzies biting the back of my neck.On another line does anyone remember when the old man on the Venue acted as padre to a wedding between a boy rating and one of the girls.Kate was bridesmaid.All hell broke loose when the boy wrote telling his parents he was married.It was supposed to be a fun thing to relieve boredom as the Venue was there for weeks with boiler problems.Even the British consul got involved.

Derek Dunn
11th December 2010, 15:43

That looks very like the Mozzie bar. If I remember, the mission was up to the right and was there not an OK Bar a bit further up the street that opened on Sundays???

Ali Bain
11th December 2010, 19:07
Derek,
If you check my earlier comment on this thread you will see that there were more than the Mosquito and the O.K. corral. Perhaps you did not make it past the first two??
Regards-Ali.

EBenarty
11th December 2010, 20:32
I think it was the Mossie, Venus Rooms, Ok. Coral on the right hand side of the street and if you crossed over after that there was the posh Rose Garden.

tam fairweather
11th December 2010, 21:49
What about further along from the Mossie and Venus was there not one called the Ship ,it had a small stage will local acts appearing at night.

john fraser
11th December 2010, 21:54
What about further along from the Mossie and Venus was there not one called the Ship ,it had a small stage will local acts appearing at night.

Local acts Tam.

Did the ships crews not perform good enough

tam fairweather
12th December 2010, 00:11
Ships crews were allowed to join in if required

Paul Barford
12th December 2010, 12:22
Ships crews were allowed to join in if required

Frequently did Tam,the Slip-Inn ah!(Smoke)

Derek Dunn
12th December 2010, 15:00
Derek,
If you check my earlier comment on this thread you will see that there were more than the Mosquito and the O.K. corral. Perhaps you did not make it past the first two??
Regards-Ali.

Hi Ali, you could be right, I don't think I even got passed the Mozzie Bar.

Nobody has mentioned the monkey whisky yet?

Derek.

Eltel
12th December 2010, 18:24
You could well be right Paul, sounds vaguely familiar - would probably sound more familiar through a glass of Monkey & coke!

Oh yes they have!

Ali Bain
12th December 2010, 18:45
Derek, There are quite a few mentions of Monkey if you have a look through the site. One of the photographs I put into the site early on shows Dick Reid the 3/e, the 4/e and myself 7/e off the Benlomond in 1972/73 sitting up the stairs in the Mosquito(Thumb) having a dram..!!! There is the half bottle of Monkey along with the coke, which was the mixer of choice at the time. You can actually see the back of the label on the bottle and if you remember they used to put the date of when it was bottled on the back of the label. Usually distilled and bottled the day before it was drunk, seemed to work pretty well as I recall.
Regards-Ali.

forthbridge
12th December 2010, 21:52
Hi Ali, you could be right, I don't think I even got passed the Mozzie Bar.

Nobody has mentioned the monkey whisky yet?

Derek.

I bought some in a supermarket in Sukumvit when I was last there, bottled about 10 days before. Drunk it in my hotel with some coke and lots of ice. It was quite a pleasant drink and I did not have any ill effects the next morning.(Applause)

Ben Boat Jim
16th May 2011, 21:22
I was on a "nostalgia" trip 5 yrs ago and the Mozzie and all bars around it have long gone....Only thing left is the mission, now called the Mariners Club.

In answer to your question Trader, yes I remember the Boustead mission well in Singapore, got the best haircut ever there. the chair faced across the street opposite the "Straits Cabaret" which was full of "Taxi Dancers',,,Ah what memories for a 16 year old "Peggy" in 1956 on the 'Benmacdhui'

Kindest Regards Jim Morrison