MV Waiwera Shaw Savill line

Hughscott777
21st November 2010, 13:51
Does anybody know where I can find details/Picures of MV Waiwera and also find out what happened to her .I sailed in her in 1966..
Hugh

R58484956
21st November 2010, 14:13
Greetings Hugh and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Goto www.photoship.co.uk a picture of her on the site, go to thumbnails and "w"

MV Waiwera 11286 tons. Built 1944 by H&W Belfast. 520.8 x 70.4 x 32.3. Two oil engines and 2 double ended boilers @ 100psi all built by the shipbuilders. DF,ESD,GyC, Radar. Two decks and a shelter deck. 4th deck in No;2 &3 holds. Code flags GBJB. Registered Southampton. British flag. Owned by Shaw Savill and Albion, London.

waiwera
21st November 2010, 15:01
Does anybody know where I can find details/Picures of MV Waiwera and also find out what happened to her .I sailed in her in 1966..
Hugh

No need to look elsewhere plenty of pictures on this site ( though not all of he 1944 version.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=701557

Served on Waiwera 1964/1965 If you sailed on her in 1966 then must have been close to her last run before scrapping?

Hughscott777
21st November 2010, 18:55
Waiwera
Left Glasgow to Belfast to Liverpool,Through the Suez Canal to Port Sudan,then to Fremantle,Adelaide,Melbourne,Sydney and Brisbane , then to Auckland , down to Taranaki , New Plymouth and to Picton in the Queen Malborough Souns then all the over to Whangerai ( just a pier in those days).I spent Christmas 65 in Brisbane and about a month in Auckland ...fantastic ..so we must have just missed each other ..

Hughscott777
21st November 2010, 21:27
Thanks for the info on Waiwera ...appreciate the help ...
Hugh

Ian Robertson
30th November 2010, 07:28
Thanks for the info on Waiwera ...appreciate the help ...
Hugh

Hi Hugh,
I sailed on the Waiwera 65-67 as an engineer. It was laid up on the Tyne in Smiths dock, another Kiwi engineer and I were standing by her and we went to the Munich Beer Festival, on our return we found our bags had been packed and placed outside our cabins because she had been sold to the Greeks. Luckily the Canopic was in the same Dockyard so I joined her.

Cheers,
Barney Robertson

Hughscott777
30th November 2010, 08:50
Hi Barney
We must have sailed together on Waiwera on '65/66.I paid off when we returned to East Ham docks London in '66 .Cyril Marjoric was the Purser and I think DR Aberdeen was the Master ..
Do you remember the Fourth mate taking unwell and being transferred at sea in the South Pacific ?.A bit scary with the lifeboat transfer in a massive swell .
Thanks for the contact
Cheers
Hugh

Ian Robertson
1st December 2010, 06:33
Hi Barney
We must have sailed together on Waiwera on '65/66.I paid off when we returned to East Ham docks London in '66 .Cyril Marjoric was the Purser and I think DR Aberdeen was the Master ..
Do you remember the Fourth mate taking unwell and being transferred at sea in the South Pacific ?.A bit scary with the lifeboat transfer in a massive swell .
Thanks for the contact
Cheers
Hugh

Yes I do remember the transfer, I was part of it operating the lifeboat engine. The scariest part was climbing up the scrambling nets to get back on board. We transferred the 2nd. freezer to the Port New Plymouth. You're right Derek Aberdeen was Master and Cyril Marjoram was Ch. Steward. I have fond memories of the Waiwera which is the Maori word for "hot water" We engineers worked hard and played hard.

Cheers,
Barney

liverbob
28th December 2010, 03:02
done a six month trip on the waiwera,21-10-60 to 30-4-61.
sailed out of liverpool to aukland,there for six weeks,on the way
back called at new jersey then to uk.

Jocko
8th November 2011, 17:32
You Engineers who sailed on the Waiwera must have bad memories or rose tinted glasses. I sailed on her as 4th Eng from January `62 to June `62. What I remember was that my cabin was class with wood panelled bulkheads but the engines!!!!!!! From London to NZ and back, 45 Scavenge fires. Did a six week drydock and overhaul in Belfast and had another Scavenge fire on the way to Glasgow. That was me finished with Shaw Savill, when we got back to London I told the Superintendent a certain Mr Highway to shove the Waiwera where the monkey put it`s nuts.
By the way there is an actual place in the North Island NZ called Waiwera. It`s a swamp.

Jocko
8th November 2011, 17:58
I`m back again to say some good things about the Waiwera. Just about the best shipmate I ever sailed with was on the same watch as me. A big Kiwi from Auckland named Dessie Auld. We always went ashore together and believe me a night ashore with Dessie was better than a two week holiday in Spain. One night at sea we came off the 8 to 12. Had a few drinks, then Dessie got hungry. Yours truly being a shortarsed Glaswegian was pushed through the porthole of the galley and stole a very large piece of lamb. We cut it up with a hacksaw and cooked it. I can`t remember how we cooked it but we did. The next morning whilst we were on watch the Chief Steward was going ballistic because that days dinner was missing. As far as I recall they followed the bloodstains to Dessies cabin and found the remains of the lamb, by this time going bad with the heat. I can`t remember the repercussions, I think Dessie said he was being framed but we laughed the rest of that trip. Truly truly definately the best time of my life. To all seamen, look at the memories we have. I still marvel to this day of people who spend their life working for Tesco.!!!!!!!!

Jock Murray
12th October 2012, 20:26
I`m back again to say some good things about the Waiwera. Just about the best shipmate I ever sailed with was on the same watch as me. A big Kiwi from Auckland named Dessie Auld. We always went ashore together and believe me a night ashore with Dessie was better than a two week holiday in Spain. One night at sea we came off the 8 to 12. Had a few drinks, then Dessie got hungry. Yours truly being a shortarsed Glaswegian was pushed through the porthole of the galley and stole a very large piece of lamb. We cut it up with a hacksaw and cooked it. I can`t remember how we cooked it but we did. The next morning whilst we were on watch the Chief Steward was going ballistic because that days dinner was missing. As far as I recall they followed the bloodstains to Dessies cabin and found the remains of the lamb, by this time going bad with the heat. I can`t remember the repercussions, I think Dessie said he was being framed but we laughed the rest of that trip. Truly truly definately the best time of my life. To all seamen, look at the memories we have. I still marvel to this day of people who spend their life working for Tesco.!!!!!!!!

Hi "Jocko",or should i say my old mate "Wee Hughie" S------,this is "Wee Jock",i joined the "Waiwera" in london 1962,you were the first guy to speak to me asking are you an engineer or lecky,when i said engineer you said,have a cup of tea! My first gennie watch was with "Big Des" then the three of us went out to the pub,it was a little local pub,there was a young woman with a bunch of hangers on who she was buying drinks for,we bought her a drink then got bladdered,we carried a crate of cans of beer all the way back to the ship.We sailed to Belfast and spent six weeks there,you and your girlfriend took me out to a dance ,when i was going to let you be by your selves,both of you would not hear of it,instead i spent half the night dancing with your lady,she was a lovely lady,a real cracker,and your brother Bob [i think] whom i met a couple of years later,told me that you had married her,which i thought was great.That six weeks we had some whale of a time,Des could sup enough Guinness to float a battleship,do you remember when he borrowed the Cheif Stewards keys [nicked] as he was bladdered which also meant he was hungry,the only problem was that the"BOND" keys was on the bunch and then next morning when the Cheif Steward was going absolutely spare looking for his keys,Des could not find or remember where he put them! I have often thought about you ones and Des over the years and i hope this finds you! If so i,ll give you my phone number and we can have a chat! Hope you are well.Best Regards "WEE Jock"