Life Aboard A Wartime Liberty Ship

Bob Murdoch
23rd November 2010, 16:29
Hi Guys,
Although Ian did not respond to my e-mail asking for information on pre-ordering his book back in August(?), the book has now been released and as I pre-ordered it from Amazon, it was received today.
Obviously, I have not had time to read it yet, but I have done enough of a scan this afternoon to be watering at the mouth to get into it properly when I have finished my present read.
I can definitely recomend it to anyone interested in the wartime M.N., especially the work of the radio officer.
Life Aboard A Wartime Liberty Ship, Ian M. Malcolm
ISBN 978-1-4456-0020-8 Amberley Publishing.
Cheers Bob Murdoch (Scribe)
Incidentally, my present 'read' is Coastal Convoys, 1939-1945, by Nick Hewitt ISBN 978 1 84415 861 4
I have all Woodward's Convoy books and Business in Great Waters, (Atlantic Convoys) and Winston's Specials. This one fills in the ignored coastal ones which was every bit as rough as the others. Pretty well written but for a professional, he does get small things wrong. Skippers and wireless operators!! However, that is nitpicking.
Again, Cheers Bob

Hamish Mackintosh
23rd November 2010, 20:00
Thanks for the ISBN's,will see if I can download to my "kindle', but as for Skippers and radio ops, on the "smaller" colliers we didn't carry a radio operator, the skipper did it all, interesting at times

Bob Murdoch
24th November 2010, 03:50
(Wave)Thanks for the ISBN's,will see if I can download to my "kindle', but as for Skippers and radio ops, on the "smaller" colliers we didn't carry a radio operator, the skipper did it all, interesting at times
I understand that, but in this case, he is referring to radiio officers.
Nitpicking as I say. Get a life, Murdoch
Cheers, Bob

IAN M
2nd December 2010, 20:01
Dear Bob

Delighted by what you say about my book. Can't understand that I didn't reply to your email in August, as I always answer everything. Many thanks.

Ian

Bob Murdoch
28th December 2010, 17:40
Hi Ian,
Sorry for not getting back sooner, sort of missed your post. Idiot. me
Anyway, to anyone interested in the work and ife of a young 2nd world war RO, I do indeed recommend this work. Extremely interesting and,obviously, Ian had a good eye for the young ladies as well. And why not?
Again, now that I have read it, I thoroughly recommend it.
Also, as a stocking filler, I received Dots Dashes and Spindrift by Dan Williams. ISBN 141208430. I read this small book on Christmas day in a 'oner' , it is only 121 pages, but very readable of a young Marconi then Bibby sparks of the 1950's . Iwould like to know what he progressed to after going ashore.
Also in the last couple of months got a copy of Through Salt Sprayed Eyes ISBN 9780956298508. If you google this you will find it easily. It is available direct from the author, Robert Welsh and is again an excellent insight to the Radio Officer's work in WW2. This time Marconi, and not Blue Flu as with Ian's work.
Again, it is great to see that such well written and readable books are available of the RO's work in the 40's and 50's. I am glad to see that these experiences are not being allowed to disapear.
Hope this is of help to all you other readers. Just about to start part 5 of Woodward's History of the British Merchant Navy.
Cheers, Bob

IAN M
1st January 2011, 22:55
Thanks again, Bob. Glad you enjoyed it.

Ian