Happy Ship

Alan Rawlinson
24th November 2010, 17:32
We all had different experiences with a common thread, but also we had trips that would fall under the title of ' Happy Ship ' This was a subtle mix of shipmates, atmosphere, Ports of Call, and maybe something special....

Among many, I nominate the Crestbank under Capt. Don McCaffrey, C/O John Appleby, self 2/0, C/E D Buck. The usual USA Gulf Ports, NZ ports, India, W Africa, BA and home with iron ore from Brazil but easy working atmosphere,fun, and best of all, plenty of leg over......

Any memories out there?

Burned Toast
24th November 2010, 18:50
Would find it hard to get a better ship than Lutetian regarding a happy ship, same crowd onboard for years.

Ray

jimthehat
24th November 2010, 23:03
We all had different experiences with a common thread, but also we had trips that would fall under the title of ' Happy Ship ' This was a subtle mix of shipmates, atmosphere, Ports of Call, and maybe something special....

Among many, I nominate the Crestbank under Capt. Don McCaffrey, C/O John Appleby, self 2/0, C/E D Buck. The usual USA Gulf Ports, NZ ports, India, W Africa, BA and home with iron ore from Brazil but easy working atmosphere,fun, and best of all, plenty of leg over......

Any memories out there?

possibly mentioned before..
Clydebank. Capt Holland..

C/o Wilkie rutherford me as senior appy
second happy ship ettrickbank..master Lynch..me as second mate.
jim

Alistair Macnab
25th November 2010, 16:18
Any ship on which Don McCaffrey was Master showed all signs of being a 'Happy Ship" whenever I had the opportunity to observe them in the U.S. Gulf. I am sure that Chief Engineer Doug Buck on the same ship was a winning combination!
Who could not find Wilkie Rutherford a splendid addition to the "happiness' quotient on any ship? He certainly made the "Inchanga" one of my most memorable voyages where he was Mate and I was Third Mate. Even under the command of a certain Master who shall not be named, "Inchanga" was my idea of a 'happy ship'.

But possibly the 'happiest' voyage I made was a short copra run on the "Laganbank" when I was Mate and the Master was Commander Freddie Feint. We had a magnificent group of officers. Even a call at Houston (not usually one of the 'best' ports at the time) was filled with high school football entertainment and as for the Aussie Coast, every port was better than the one before with all the shipboard and shoreside parties. I suppose we worked hard as well, but I don't remember that!

Alan Rawlinson
25th November 2010, 18:59
Any ship on which Don McCaffrey was Master showed all signs of being a 'Happy Ship" whenever I had the opportunity to observe them in the U.S. Gulf. I am sure that Chief Engineer Doug Buck on the same ship was a winning combination!
Who could not find Wilkie Rutherford a splendid addition to the "happiness' quotient on any ship? He certainly made the "Inchanga" one of my most memorable voyages where he was Mate and I was Third Mate. Even under the command of a certain Master who shall not be named, "Inchanga" was my idea of a 'happy ship'.

But possibly the 'happiest' voyage I made was a short copra run on the "Laganbank" when I was Mate and the Master was Commander Freddie Feint. We had a magnificent group of officers. Even a call at Houston (not usually one of the 'best' ports at the time) was filled with high school football entertainment and as for the Aussie Coast, every port was better than the one before with all the shipboard and shoreside parties. I suppose we worked hard as well, but I don't remember that!

Mentioning parties in the Aus ports reminds me of the regular drill on arrival - in the 50's anyway. Not sure if all the ships followed the same procedure, but on a couple of visits we would ring the local hospital or nurses home to invite the girls to an onboard party. It worked a treat. Once the formula was practised, could'nt wait for the phone to get hooked up... Happy days.

ps this was before there were fancy decorated bars on board. Can remember the old ' smokeroom ' being used and even the mate's cabin being pressed into service..

jimthehat
25th November 2010, 23:28
Mentioning parties in the Aus ports reminds me of the regular drill on arrival - in the 50's anyway. Not sure if all the ships followed the same procedure, but on a couple of visits we would ring the local hospital or nurses home to invite the girls to an onboard party. It worked a treat. Once the formula was practised, could'nt wait for the phone to get hooked up... Happy days.

ps this was before there were fancy decorated bars on board. Can remember the old ' smokeroom ' being used and even the mate's cabin being pressed into service..

Used to remember it was the nurses homes on the kiwi coast that rang up as soon as the phone was connected,mainly on the south island ,but including new plymouth ,ah happy times.

jim

david harrod
26th November 2010, 03:49

Any memories out there?
I sailed with all those guys (except you, Alan!) Don McCaffrey on the Lindenbank; a very happy ship, top Master...Doug Buck was a lot of fun and we had many laughs together...Iron ore on the crestbank sounds like fun as well; I imagine she was so stiff everyone got whiplash?

Alan Rawlinson
26th November 2010, 08:08
I sailed with all those guys (except you, Alan!) Don McCaffrey on the Lindenbank; a very happy ship, top Master...Doug Buck was a lot of fun and we had many laughs together...Iron ore on the crestbank sounds like fun as well; I imagine she was so stiff everyone got whiplash?

Hallo David,

The trip home was not with iron ore as mentioned ( memory lapse!) That was on the Maplebank ( a Liberty) and we loaded in the iron ore port of Vitoria, Brazil, and took it to Hamburg, where we paid off. On the Crestbank the trip home ended in Victoria Docks , London, and can't recall what we brought back. Unlikely to be Copra - was it grain, I wonder?

Don McCaffrey was on his first command, but still quite a relaxed and fun guy. The only time he got mad with me was when I ducked the Xmas dinner in Galveston, where I had better things to do ashore.