Bank Line - On-Line crew list?

Alan Rawlinson
30th November 2010, 10:45
As the Bank Line story recedes into the far distance, it occurred to me it might be a good idea to have a list ( database) of people who sailed with the Bank Line, and who have been on SN. Any one agree? and are there any techos out there that could set up a suitable table?

Suggested headings.

Name Age(if agreed) Dates
(in the Bank Line service)

There could be a final column recording the impact of those years - on a scale of 1 to 10!!

jimthehat
30th November 2010, 15:06
As the Bank Line story recedes into the far distance, it occurred to me it might be a good idea to have a list ( database) of people who sailed with the Bank Line, and who have been on SN. Any one agree? and are there any techos out there that could set up a suitable table?

Suggested headings.

There could be a final column recording the impact of those years - on a scale of 1 to 10!!

Alan ,
you get someone to play and i will dance,good idea.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
1st December 2010, 08:01
Alan ,

jim

Thanks Jim, Just one of my wilder ideas! Did think about suggesting we do it ship by ship, i.e. everyone who ever sailed on Eastbank, for example, but when I thought about the Maplebank it appears to be only thee and me! Any other Maplebankers out there, I wonder?

Perhaps it's too late to pursue this idea already.

Abbeywood.
1st December 2010, 12:17
Thanks Jim, Just one of my wilder ideas! Did think about suggesting we do it ship by ship, i.e. everyone who ever sailed on Eastbank, for example, but when I thought about the Maplebank it appears to be only thee and me! Any other Maplebankers out there, I wonder?

Perhaps it's too late to pursue this idea already.

Bloody good idea, Alan, and it would help, me, at least, to remember some of the names lost in the mists of time.
Put me down for the Eastbank 26/06/63 -- 27/11/63. 4 Eng'
Marabank. 21/01/64 -- 13/05/66. 4/3 Eng'

I also did a little run job as a supernumery on the Willowbank, from New Orleans to Houston, about 25-26/10/65 but never signed articles
Good luck with the project.
ATB, Pete' Lambert, (a.k.a. Abbeywood)

xrm
1st December 2010, 13:15
Alan - was an apprentice on the Maplebank from January to August 1970

Alistair Macnab
1st December 2010, 14:35
Alan's idea is a good one. Perhaps other added columns could be "subsequent career" and "retirement location"?
I'm not sufficiently computer savvy to take on this job but I definitely plan to cooperate with the project!
Could SN help us?

Joe C
1st December 2010, 14:42
Alan ,

jim

Happy to be involved,but I don't want to dance with Jim!

ianian
1st December 2010, 14:45

Suggested headings.

Excellent idea, here's mine

Ian Shields, Sailed on Nairnbank as 3/eng 67/68, Laganbank as 3/eng 70, Taybank as 2/eng 70, Crestbank,Sprucebank as 2/eng 71 (rock dodging), Oakbank as 2/eng 71, Carronbank,Testbank, Rowanbank as 2/eng (rock dodging),Dartbank as 2/eng 72/73,Olivebank as 2/eng 73/74 and then left to go on the coast, now retired and 66, impact on me ,well! had a good and bad time but all in all I would do it again, total service with Bank Line = almost 7 years, rating 7/8 out of 10

Kind Regards ianian

Alan Rawlinson
1st December 2010, 17:07
Alan ,

jim

Jim,

Your comments remind me of a saying often used in jest when I was an apprentice, namely, " You heave, I'll grunt " !

Winebuff
1st December 2010, 17:26
Count me in.

Peter Smith
74-84

pete
1st December 2010, 17:37
If it is possible I will certainly put my 15 years on Bank Boats into the mix...............pete

China hand
1st December 2010, 18:35
Jaaa,I'll(Whaaa) give it a go, anyway.

Charlie Stitt
1st December 2010, 18:52
Alan, I am no computer wiz kid, but I would imagine a member would have to volunteer to draw a list up as a document, from details sent to him via private message, then post it on this site. Doing it this way, names could not be added on, but I suppose supplements could be posted at a later date. ????????. Perhaps a Moderater would suggest a better way of doing it.

jimthehat
1st December 2010, 22:55
Jim,

Your comments remind me of a saying often used in jest when I was an apprentice, namely, " You heave, I'll grunt " !

Alan looks like you have awoken the proverbial sleeping monster,it should prove an interesting read,interesting that for my 14 years in bank line,i have never come across any of the bankliners who post on the bank line forum,nearest I have got was you comimg up the gangway as i was going down,maplebank ,Bromboriugh jan1954.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
2nd December 2010, 08:22
Alan, I am no computer wiz kid, but I would imagine a member would have to volunteer to draw a list up as a document, from details sent to him via private message, then post it on this site. Doing it this way, names could not be added on, but I suppose supplements could be posted at a later date. ????????. Perhaps a Moderater would suggest a better way of doing it.

Charlie, Greetings..

Yes, it needs a proper database which has the flexibility to be sorted A to Z etc and expanded as required. Extra columns can be added at a later date. There is a huge potential for information to be added, so again , only an all singing and dancing Database would do the job justice. As you say, it could be posted as an attachment from time to time.

Now comes the hard bit - who might volunteer to compile such a database?

I hate the bloody things - too fiddly - and there is a learning curve before it can be manipulated quickly. Have had some unhappy experiences.

Any database whizzes out there with the time to spare? please!

P.S. I suppose we might consider paying for the service, or pay for a copy of the completed database. Another thought is that the nice SN people might be able to help for a fee?? Just brainstorming here - or could be a passing squall!

Pocket*trout
2nd December 2010, 15:03
What you require is an online database. There are a few free ones. Just "Google"
...free online database.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_database

Alistair Macnab
2nd December 2010, 16:30
I know "China Hand" is, as we say in Scotland, "a lad of parts' and did I see in his entry on this thread that he was volunteering? Its the sort of thing I would expect him to be very good at doing! He's done everything else and been everywhere!

Charlie Stitt
2nd December 2010, 16:32
Alan, it certainly is worth giving your idea a lot of serious thought, but sorry, I hate sounding like a damp squib, do we have the numbers here to really make it worth while. I have a son and a daughter who each have a degree in computing science, but unfortunately it will be the weekend before I see them,to get their views, and/or any ideas.

China hand
2nd December 2010, 18:40
I know "China Hand" is, as we say in Scotland, "a lad of parts' and did I see in his entry on this thread that he was volunteering? Its the sort of thing I would expect him to be very good at doing! He's done everything else and been everywhere!

Volunteer? MOI? Cummon Alistair; even Hamish would know that China is always ready to join in and lend a Hand, but actually DO IT? How? (Might know someone who does, though).
PS: Never been to Antarctica ~ until this week!

McMorine
3rd December 2010, 09:55
My profile lists all the ships that I sailed on, also the years.

Charlie Stitt
4th December 2010, 16:11
Read my profile.

Charlie Stitt
4th December 2010, 16:31
I go back to what I said earlier, we do not have the member numbers/data to consider an online database.Alexander makes the point, his profile has or can have, all the info required. Alan,what I suggest is, you start a new thread under a good BANKLINE heading, asking all ex Bankline staff to click on Post Reply with the message, Read my profile,(Nothing More) as in my specimen above. We will then have all names and their profile data in one place. ADD TO YOUR PROFILE.

Alan Rawlinson
4th December 2010, 17:49
I go back to what I said earlier, we do not have the member numbers/data to consider an online database.Alexander makes the point, his profile has or can have, all the info required. Alan,what I suggest is, you start a new thread under a good BANKLINE heading, asking all ex Bankline staff to click on Post Reply with the message, Read my profile,(Nothing More) as in my specimen above. We will then have all names and their profile data in one place. ADD TO YOUR PROFILE.

Thanks Charlie

I have been pondering this task, and one advantage of a database is the ability to slot in details after the initial effort...

Another approach to your suggestion is for me ( or someone better skilled) to start a database and to pass the log on details to the site so that anyone can amend the entries. This could be done by private email to prevent mischief makers) The guys that don't want to bother can have their details lifted from the profile and entered by another.. What do you think?

Charlie Stitt
4th December 2010, 18:38
Alan, I suppose I am just not all that keen on a database, as it would be distant from this great SN site and all the info and comments we have at our fingertips. Now it would be a different story if someone created a Bankline Website, but like a database, it too would have to be maintained, and would require a webmaster, but wouldnt it be great to have a Bankline Website? What do others here have to say??? Interesting. Cheers.

Alan Rawlinson
5th December 2010, 09:05
Alan, I suppose I am just not all that keen on a database, as it would be distant from this great SN site and all the info and comments we have at our fingertips. Now it would be a different story if someone created a Bankline Website, but like a database, it too would have to be maintained, and would require a webmaster, but wouldnt it be great to have a Bankline Website? What do others here have to say??? Interesting. Cheers.

Yes, like it.

Forget the Database.

Cheers

Charlie Stitt
5th December 2010, 15:39
With a lot of help from my son, I have taken the liberty of making a Bank Line web site. I am not sure how much storage we have but it is less than 400mb, to increase the storage capacity, it will be necessary to pay a small fee. The new web site address is.
www.banklinenostalgia.webs.com

Charlie Stitt
5th December 2010, 16:42
I have now upgraded the site to 400mb ( initial storage, only 40mb) and paid the fee for two years at 25% discount. Donations, max 5 welcome.

Charlie Stitt
5th December 2010, 17:21
The Bank Line Web Site may be unavailable while it is being upgraded. OK Back in business.

China hand
5th December 2010, 18:23
Why not approach Brian Lucy in the Bank Line Association? He surely has the contacts.

Charlie Stitt
5th December 2010, 18:23
When signing in to the Bank Line website, it would be a good idea to use your full name, Thank You (Thumb)

jimthehat
5th December 2010, 20:46
When signing in to the Bank Line website, it would be a good idea to use your full name, Thank You (Thumb)

Well done Charlie,
i will sign up, it will be a couple of days before i get down to it as i have a busy spell with hossie appointments,Will a cheque be OK? anyway I will send a private message soon.

jim

Johnnietwocoats
6th December 2010, 01:43

Great job Charlie.......I signed up with my full name.

I think that is a great idea.

Let me know about costs and I will get back to you.

I think that the Brian Lucy thing should join up as this is more interactive.

Again....Well done.

John

Alan Rawlinson
6th December 2010, 08:28
Charlie,

That is a fantastic job! Well done. I have been using computers and the web since day 1, and have never seen such a quick, clear, and conprehensive set up like the one you have arranged. Would like to thank your son(s) for all the good work which will surely be enjoyed for years to come.. Especially like the facility to invite friends from the Bank Line on, as there are a few who only read SN without contributing..

Cheers/ Alan

PS How do you suggest we make our payments? Paypal is one of the easiest online, if you have an account. Anyone can send cash to your email address.

pete
6th December 2010, 09:10
Charlie,

That is a fantastic job! Well done. I have been using computers and the web since day 1, and have never seen such a quick, clear, and conprehensive set up like the one you have arranged. Would like to thank your son(s) for all the good work which will surely be enjoyed for years to come.. Especially like the facility to invite friends from the Bank Line on, as there are a few who only read SN without contributing..

Cheers/ Alan

PS How do you suggest we make our payments? Paypal is one of the easiest online, if you have an account. Anyone can send cash to your email address.

I agree with all you say Alan, it is a good website and very well put together. Further a Paypal a/c is the easiest and most secure method of Payment. Needless to say I have already signed on for what I hope will be an Interesting Voyage.....................pete.

ianian
6th December 2010, 23:15
Yes, like it.

Forget the Database.

Cheers

Great Job Charlie have signed up
ianian

jimthehat
6th December 2010, 23:22
Charlie,

Cheers/ Alan

Charlie,
looks as if the site is off to a good start,I have now donated by paypal,I am getting a message "membership pending approval"and my photo has come up as a white square with a little red cross,any ideas.
jim

tina thompson
7th December 2010, 09:21

Suggested headings.

hello im not sure if this is the right place to leave my message,but here gose. my uncles worked with the bank line and im trying to trace my only living uncle frank hunter.i have put some photos up on site of him and his brothers my dad was called david hunter,any one who can help me find frank i whould be most graetfull for any informasion.thank you (Thumb)

Winebuff
7th December 2010, 11:01
Great start Charlie, donation on its way.

Peter Smith

Waighty
7th December 2010, 11:29
Like the idea but alas my computer savvy is, on a scale of 10, about 1.5!!!!

pete
7th December 2010, 19:05
Like the idea but alas my computer savvy is, on a scale of 10, about 1.5!!!!

Don't worry Waighty, on the same scale my knowledge is about 0.001'ish.....................pete

Alan Rawlinson
8th December 2010, 17:50
When I started this thread, I had no idea where it would lead. It led to a fantastic web site set up by Charlie Stitt, ( with a bit of help from his family) So please sign on to the Bank Line Nostalgia site. I estimate somewhere in the region of 16,000 persons ( excluding crew) sailed with the Bank Line between 1950 and 1990 ( approx years) and although it is early days, there are 27 members on the site - so come on, please!

pete
8th December 2010, 18:10
A you have probably realised Alan I have already joined the site and I find it well worth-while. As long as Google pick up on it, about 10 to 14 Days if memory serves, other members will turn up. For the sake of 5 nobody loses. Well done Charlie and Family. ......................pete

Alan Rawlinson
9th December 2010, 03:58
A you have probably realised Alan I have already joined the site and I find it well worth-while. As long as Google pick up on it, about 10 to 14 Days if memory serves, other members will turn up. For the sake of 5 nobody loses. Well done Charlie and Family. ......................pete

Hi Pete,

You are right, and expect the numbers will grow. It's interesting to ponder the potential numbers, and we would all likely come up with different guestimates.... My own calculations and assumptions whittle the potential total down to around 300 only!

This figure is left after deducting:-

Those who have passed on
Non computer people
Non interested people
Passive viewers only

On this basis we have about 10% already!

Cheers

Alan Rawlinson
10th December 2010, 15:22
Hi Pete,

You are right, and expect the numbers will grow. It's interesting to ponder the potential numbers, and we would all likely come up with different guestimates.... My own calculations and assumptions whittle the potential total down to around 300 only!

This figure is left after deducting:-

Those who have passed on
Non computer people
Non interested people
Passive viewers only

On this basis we have about 10% already!

Cheers

Keep reworking the figures, and don't want to bore everyone with the assumptions made. Whichever way I cut it, I reckon 16,000 to 20,000 people were employed between 1950 approx and 1990 approx. Also, feel that there are 300 to 500 potential users of the Bank Line website out there, after whittling down the gross figure. ( Last one left, please switch off the lights!)

The signed up members in the first week amount to 27, so some way to go....

Alistair Macnab
11th December 2010, 15:35
Joined yesterday. Its a great site and promises to be the place to go to connect with those Bankers out there who want to do the same! Very professional!

Joe C
19th December 2010, 22:41
Joined yesterday. Its a great site and promises to be the place to go to connect with those Bankers out there who want to do the same! Very professional!

I don't know if I want to be called a Banker Alistair,it's Cockney rhyming slang isn't it?

McMorine
20th December 2010, 11:17
To all the ex Bankline staff out there, (Bankers or not) I wish you all a Very Happy Christmas and hopefully, a Healthy New Year(Applause).

Alistair Macnab
20th December 2010, 17:16
Oops! Sorry! My knowledge of Cockney rhyming slang is somewhat limited and I never made the connection! Henceforth, the word shall never again be uttered by me!
In plain English, however, Let me wish all you Bank Line stalwarts a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.
We all need it!

pete
20th December 2010, 19:21
Seasons greeting to all on this site, especially to the retired members of Bank Line. All you have to do is find the Bank Line Nostalgia website to join, I find it well worth while but I feel there is not enough of us YET.....pete

boatlarnie
20th December 2010, 19:29
I don't know if I want to be called a Banker Alistair,it's Cockney rhyming slang isn't it?

The correct term for a group of bankers is a WUNCH!! Hence the expression 'A Wunch of Bankers'??

Merry Christmas and may 2011 bring you guys all you want and richly deserve after those never to be forgotten days in the Bank Line!

Regards,
Boatlarnie

Scoddie
21st December 2010, 01:02
Great site Charlie. I wish a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all Bankliners on the site.
Regards,
Scoddie

RayL
27th December 2010, 21:03
Alan's idea is a good one. Perhaps other added columns could be "subsequent career" and "retirement location"?
I'm not sufficiently computer savvy to take on this job but I definitely plan to cooperate with the project!
Could SN help us?
This rings alarm bells with me. I'm a family historian and people of my ilk are well used to the need to be sensitive to the giving away of personal details of living people. On family trees we write "Living Jones" rather than "John Macintyre Jones, born 1940, married Liverpool 1965", for example. Similarly, when one orders certs one is challenged to say why one needs them (all about identity theft, you see).

Ron Stringer
27th December 2010, 22:12
Similarly, when one orders certs one is challenged to say why one needs them (all about identity theft, you see).

Ray,

Where does this happen? I have purchased many BMD certificates from the GRO whilst tracking down forebears and relatives but have never yet been challenged in any way (other than financially. (Jester))

Alan Rawlinson
28th December 2010, 08:28
This rings alarm bells with me. I'm a family historian and people of my ilk are well used to the need to be sensitive to the giving away of personal details of living people. On family trees we write "Living Jones" rather than "John Macintyre Jones, born 1940, married Liverpool 1965", for example. Similarly, when one orders certs one is challenged to say why one needs them (all about identity theft, you see).

The internet is a veritable mine field in the respect of revealing personal information, and cannot be cleared ever, unlike a real minefield. The possibilities for fraud, identity theft, or simply settling old scores are endless.... Great, isn't it!

I think anyone nervous, or highly sensitive, or simply a private person etc shouldn't touch a computer or fill in forms. Google for a start has the whole picture on most of us. Online banking is only operating because the banks swallow millions, if not billions of losses ( we pay) racked up from volumes of online fraud. There is a call centre industry out there just handling fraudulent transactions...

Social networking is a wonderful gift to baddies..

I think that most of us rely on the fact we have nothing to hide ( well almost) and any problems in this respect will be tackled at the time they occur, just like fences..

RayL
28th December 2010, 11:26
Ron - This was the case say three years ago when one visited the Family Records Centre in London and filled in a form ordering a cert. I haven't ordered one online recently so I don't know whether it has changed. Perhaps the traceability of online ordering is deemed sufficient.

Alan - I agree with all you say, and that is why I won't touch online banking with a barge-pole; it seems like a great big Gift to the thieves in our midst. There's still a difference between offering your details on a plate, and not. An analogy is a car thief in a car park - does he not select the one that the owner has in some way made easy for him?

Ron Stringer
28th December 2010, 12:11
Ron - This was the case say three years ago when one visited the Family Records Centre in London and filled in a form ordering a cert. I haven't ordered one online recently so I don't know whether it has changed. Perhaps the traceability of online ordering is deemed sufficient.

Sadly the Family Records Centre was closed down a year or more ago, to be temporarily transferred to Chichester until software, supposedly then under development to permit searches to made available on line, was completed. Neither of those facilities have been forthcoming and, in the light of current financial ''policy'', they are unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future.

So you are forced to search elsewhere on line or visit individual County Records Offices to identify the GRO reference so that you can purchase certificates from the GRO Southport centre. No check is made of your reasons for requesting copies of certificates. Recently the charge was raised from 7.00 to 9.50 and the cross-checking of details (to make sure you get the right person where more than one exists with the same name) was discontinued as part of the service.

Recently, having ordered the death certificate of my great-grandfather, I received that of an infant of the same name who had died in the same quarter of that year. Precocious child! (Jester)

Alan Rawlinson
28th December 2010, 15:46

Alan - I agree with all you say, and that is why I won't touch online banking with a barge-pole; it seems like a great big Gift to the thieves in our midst. There's still a difference between offering your details on a plate, and not. An analogy is a car thief in a car park - does he not select the one that the owner has in some way made easy for him?

RayL

Just an afterthought... I suffered some fraud last year, and later heard from an IT specialist working for the banks, whose job it was to set up and monitor the online banking system, that he personally always used the old fashioned over-the-counter system for his own transactions! Says it all, I thought.

tina thompson
29th December 2010, 09:53
good morning guys,hope you all had a merry xmas.im still trying to trace any one who knew my dad david hunter,he worked on the bank line but im not sure for how long.if any one out there knows of my dad or who has any photos of him it whould be great to see them.[QUOTE]

Alan Rawlinson
29th December 2010, 16:11
[QUOTE=tina thompson;480135]good morning guys,hope you all had a merry xmas.im still trying to trace any one who knew my dad david hunter,he worked on the bank line but im not sure for how long.if any one out there knows of my dad or who has any photos of him it whould be great to see them.

Hallo Tina - Happy New Year to you...

It would help a lot if you could provide the dates or year that David Hunter served, and especially what ships??? You may not have this of course, but the more you can provide the more the chance that someone's memory may be jogged. What rank did he serve in?

With some info it may be possible to post this on the Bank Line Nostalgia website, on the Forum page......

Cheers/AL

Tracy
30th December 2010, 19:05
Hi Tina
I just sent you a private message.

Joe Whelan
31st December 2010, 14:30
Anyone remember David Barbour.

John Dryden
1st January 2011, 22:25
Tina,just been talking to my mate and he sailed with Frank on the Northbank in 1970.Said he remembers he used to send postcards with drawings on them back home.He last saw him 4 or 5 years later and he was living at the old Anchor House on Anlaby road,Hull which is now an old folks home.Hope you can find him.
JD.

tina thompson
6th January 2011, 11:21
[QUOTE=tina thompson;480135]good morning guys,hope you all had a merry xmas.im still trying to trace any one who knew my dad david hunter,he worked on the bank line but im not sure for how long.if any one out there knows of my dad or who has any photos of him it whould be great to see them.

Hallo Tina - Happy New Year to you...

It would help a lot if you could provide the dates or year that David Hunter served, and especially what ships??? You may not have this of course, but the more you can provide the more the chance that someone's memory may be jogged. What rank did he serve in?

With some info it may be possible to post this on the Bank Line Nostalgia website, on the Forum page......

Cheers/AL

hi al,thank you for your reply..i hope you all had a lovely xmas and that your new year will be a good one for you all.i have my dads fishing records and a list of the trawlers he was on,rossella,magnolia,lord ancaster,artic viking,stella polaris,cordella and this is just the first page.my dads rating was c/a i dont know what that is i know he was a spare hand some times too.he first sailed on the 16/7/1956 till the 22/8/1956,i have 14 sheets with ships and dates he lived in leconfeild close greatfeild estate.(Wave)

tina thompson
6th January 2011, 11:25
Tina,just been talking to my mate and he sailed with Frank on the Northbank in 1970.Said he remembers he used to send postcards with drawings on them back home.He last saw him 4 or 5 years later and he was living at the old Anchor House on Anlaby road,Hull which is now an old folks home.Hope you can find him.
JD.

hi john,so far i have had no luck in finding my uncle frank.i have tryed all his old places where he went and all the old pubs he drank in,i have left messages at some of the places in case he turns up there.i will keep looking,i think my aunty remembers the old post cards with drawings on them when i go see her again i will see if she still has them.(Wave)

tina thompson
6th January 2011, 11:27
Hi Tina
I just sent you a private message.

hi tracy,i hope you are well.

Alan Rawlinson
6th January 2011, 16:17
Anyone remember David Barbour.

Sailed with a Barbour ( think it was David) who was 3/0 on the Ernebank 1953 - would this fit in?

Joe Whelan
7th January 2011, 14:47
Thanks for the info. I think you have the correct person. I sailed with him when he was Master. Heard he crossed the bar in the early eighties. His father was a Bank Line engineer superintendent.

Alan Rawlinson
7th January 2011, 16:23
Thanks for the info. I think you have the correct person. I sailed with him when he was Master. Heard he crossed the bar in the early eighties. His father was a Bank Line engineer superintendent.

Joe,

The chap I remember was tall and thin ( at that time)

Joe Whelan
8th January 2011, 14:30
Alan,
Dave was medium height,home town Dunoon. A Bank Line cadet he departed soon after completing his indentures.
1953/1954 would in my estimation be when he left Bank Line. Perhaps some more information will surface later. Thanks for your assistance.
Joe.

Alan Rawlinson
21st January 2011, 17:09
I would like to make an appeal to all of the Bank Line readers to log on and join the Bank Line Nostalgia website - just google it, and bingo, pick a mugshot of your choosing, ( optional) and maybe upload a few pics from the ' good old days ' ! You might catch up with long lost shipmates ( careful)

Seriously, I can't believe that out of thousands of apprentices, mates and engineers that sailed with Bank Line post war, that we cannot get the numbers up to a few hundreds at least. Where are you all?

pete
22nd January 2011, 09:03
I agree Alan, it does seem a little strange that there are only 48 of us at the moment. I sailed on 15 trips in B/L which equals in excess of 200 shipmates of which only 2 are on the site. So come on lads where in the blazes are you ?????.......pete(?HUH)(?HUH)(?HUH)

Chris Isaac
22nd January 2011, 09:55
Not wishing to intrude but I suggest that a useful starting point could be to set up a Group page on Facebook.
Also you can trawl through "Places of Work" on Friends ReUnited

Alan Rawlinson
22nd January 2011, 16:26
Not wishing to intrude but I suggest that a useful starting point could be to set up a Group page on Facebook.
Also you can trawl through "Places of Work" on Friends ReUnited

Hallo Chris,

You're not intruding, me ansome.....

The Bank Line Nostalgia site is a dedicated site, with all the goodies necessary, but agree it would be possible to use Facebook. Can't see that it would tempt any more ex Bankline to join. As for Friends reunited, I did my level best to erase any of my details on there when I found out that people were settling old scores from school days, and sometimes in a violent way!

Cheers

Andy
23rd January 2011, 12:09
Just a reminder of SN guidelines, gents.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=17182

Our primary focus is building and nurturing the community. We respect that every forum has their own unique qualities of good and bad, however we ask that you do not use the website to promote other maritime discussion forums without express permission from the administrators.

The above applies to both forum posts and using SN private message system.

Cheers,
Andy

Charlie Stitt
23rd January 2011, 15:47
Sorry Andy.

China hand
24th January 2011, 18:23
Just a reminder of SN guidelines, gents.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=17182

Our primary focus is building and nurturing the community. We respect that every forum has their own unique qualities of good and bad, however we ask that you do not use the website to promote other maritime discussion forums without express permission from the administrators.

The above applies to both forum posts and using SN private message system.

Cheers,
Andy

Hear, hear him. This is correct.

McMorine
17th February 2011, 16:28
Have put some crew lists for the 1970's on my gallery, some seem to have been transfered to "Life On Board" so you need to check both. I think they are from the first Bank Line Magazines as they are not in alphabetical order for some reason and also, some of the ships are not listed and I can assure you, none of the pages are missing from the mags.

simomatra
18th February 2011, 19:13
Have put some crew lists for the 1970's on my gallery, some seem to have been transfered to "Life On Board" so you need to check both. I think they are from the first Bank Line Magazines as they are not in alphabetical order for some reason and also, some of the ships are not listed and I can assure you, none of the pages are missing from the mags.

Alex,

They seem to have disappeared, the dockyard and newspapers are there but not the crew list from the magazine (Sad)

McMorine
19th February 2011, 12:16
Bruce, the crew lists are on my gallery, Ships nostalgia and also under "Life on Board" Ships Nostalgia, hope that clarifies things. Did try to get them all on "My Gallery" Ships nostalgia, but some of them got moved by the Moderator for some reason, think I must be getting senile in my old age.

simomatra
20th February 2011, 04:28
Many thanks Alex
I have found them now and see a few names that I remember.

Good to see all the old pictures. I have recently found my blue book and some wage slips that i will scan and post

Thanks once more

Sam

John Dryden
20th February 2011, 21:27
Any crew lists out there from 1969 to 1972?
Incidentally, simomatra,I met up with an ex Bank Line pal last night after 32 years and while we were gassing away he mentioned a guy called Boatwright who we looked up on SN and saw you were asking about him.All I can tell you is he was first mate when my pal sailed with him about 1971/72.

simomatra
21st February 2011, 21:16
Any crew lists out there from 1969 to 1972?
Incidentally, simomatra,I met up with an ex Bank Line pal last night after 32 years and while we were gassing away he mentioned a guy called Boatwright who we looked up on SN and saw you were asking about him.All I can tell you is he was first mate when my pal sailed with him about 1971/72.

Many thanks John, Dick was an apprentice near the end of his time when I sailed with him on the Pinebank in 65

PETER LAWRENCE
14th June 2012, 12:12
Does Anyone Have Any Crew Lists For Bank Line Vessels 1958-1963
Trying To Track Down Old Shipmates

jimthehat
14th June 2012, 23:20

No crew lists,but Isipingo 57-59 me Jim ferrier 3/0 Bert Lynch ..mate frosdick..master
Fleetbank late 59..me 3/o master TS Robertson
Ettrickbank.2years 59/61 me 2/0 bert lynch ..master
Forresbank..62-63 me 2/0 R Angle..master

so thats a start.

jim

John Dryden
15th June 2012, 00:26
Good start Jim..your memory is as bad as mine!Even though I was 10 years later than you.
Having said that, Captain Lynch was a fair man indeed when I met him in Durban and explained the situation sailors can get themselves in.

jimthehat
15th June 2012, 14:17
Good start Jim..your memory is as bad as mine!Even though I was 10 years later than you.
Having said that, Captain Lynch was a fair man indeed when I met him in Durban and explained the situation sailors can get themselves in.

just remembered another isipingo mate who took over from Lynch.. McKKINK he was a great chap and his brother was senior examiner in Durban.

jim

Aberdonian
15th June 2012, 23:07
I have copies of the 1976 Spring and Summer Bank Line House Magazine.

Although "recent" and so probably already well recorded, I would be happy to scan and post the "Where Are They Now?" crew lists contained therein should anyone consider these of use.

Aberdonian

jannie4321
4th August 2012, 06:43

Suggested headings.

5th eng levernbank and riverbank 4th, 1960 to 1967 out of durban

jannie4321
4th August 2012, 06:48

any body from the levernbank or riverbank, i was out of durban.

jannie4321
4th August 2012, 06:56
any body from the levernbank or riverbank, i was out of durban.

bank line reunion at the bromsgrove hotel 6th oct , phone brian lucy . 01953882873

jannie4321
4th August 2012, 06:59
bank line reunion at the bromsgrove hotel 6th oct . phone brian lucy 01953882873. see ya .

mike gale
18th October 2012, 16:36
Sailed on Sheilbank (coal) Titanbank, Dartbank, Ettrickbank

Mike Gale

jannie4321
21st October 2012, 06:39
we just had our reunion at the bromsgrove hotel on the 6th oct , brian lucy is the chap to get in touch with . i myself sailed on levernbank and riverbank out of durban . 5th eng , 4th eng , alt 3rd eng , from 1960 to 1967 .