Clyde pilots

cunamara
3rd December 2010, 18:12
Can anyone tell me if there is a book available on the history of the Clyde Pilotage Authority

John Cassels
3rd December 2010, 19:17
Don't know about a book. what I can say is that in 1973 after getting Masters,
put my name on the list. In 1981 , was still bottom on the list, so gave it up.

NZSCOTTY
4th December 2010, 18:31
Don't know about a book. what I can say is that in 1973 after getting Masters,
put my name on the list. In 1981 , was still bottom on the list, so gave it up.

You did not have the right handshake John.

John Cassels
4th December 2010, 18:44
You did not have the right handshake John.

Actually I did John but it still didn't help.

NZSCOTTY
4th December 2010, 20:03
Actually I did John but it still didn't help.

Didn't know you had the same granny as me! How old was she?

My school mate's father Capt Conway was a Clyde pilot and when he heard I was going to sea said he would put my name down. Don't know if he ever did!!

NoR
4th December 2010, 21:33
John

Probably not a good time to apply. Post '73 was when things really started going pear shaped.

John Cassels
5th December 2010, 13:40
Didn't know you had the same granny as me! How old was she?

My school mate's father Capt Conway was a Clyde pilot and when he heard I was going to sea said he would put my name down. Don't know if he ever did!!

Six before she was twentySix in Firth of Clyde , Gourock.

NZSCOTTY
5th December 2010, 18:05
Can anyone let us know how many Clyde pilots there are and what is there work roster? How many jobs do they average? How much do they earn!!??

cunamara
5th December 2010, 23:01
When I lived in Gourock in the 50's and 60's I think there were 25 pilots at Gourock and 25 upriver. I remember Captain leslie who was old in those days but still did the CPR ships. Captain George Howison, I think, was a Cunard man.
The others, I am too old to remember.
Having recently read, and enjoyed, "She's all your'se Mister Pilot" a history of the harbour pilots of Saint John, N.B. Canada, I was curious to find any other history of piloting.

John Gurton
10th December 2010, 10:24
Here's a few more pilot tales.....
Illustrated History of a Thames Pilot ...John Foot
Business in Great Waters....(pilotage in BC)....David Hill Turner
Come Wind Come Weather ..(Tales of an Otago Pilot)....David Balderston

cunamara
10th December 2010, 15:04
Thank you, John, I will have a look at them

Gulpers
11th December 2010, 01:30
....... Captain George Howison, I think, was a Cunard man.

cunamara,

Small world!
It is interesting to see Capt Howieson's name appearing on SN again.
If you have a look at EMMESSTEE's photograph of RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2033/title/rms-queen-elizabeth-/cat/520), you will see I made a similar comment back in 2005. (Thumb)

John Cassels
11th December 2010, 09:18
Ray , can you remember who the choice pilot for the GTV's was ?.

Was it also GH ?.

Tom S
11th December 2010, 11:33
John
It was George
regards
Tom

John Cassels
11th December 2010, 18:56
Thanks Tom , thought it might have been but memory a bit cloudy.

cunamara
11th December 2010, 20:29
Yes, Gulpers,
Capt Howieson delayed his promotion to the upper reaches because Cunard wanted the same pilot to take RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH in and out of the dry-dock. An excellent 8mm movie was made of her docking which was presented to George. Cunard wanted a copy but, at that time no one would guarantee that it would not be damaged during the process. I wonder where it is now.

Gulpers
11th December 2010, 20:46
John/Tom,

George Howieson wasn't our Pilot - we had George Grierson - another old neighbour of mine when I lived in Cardwell Bay. (==D)

cunamara
13th December 2010, 02:20
There was three great pilot boats at Gourock, the Cumbrie, the Gantock and the Kempock (I think), They were almost as well known as Roy Ritchie's Granny Kempock and Westering Home. Also at that time Ritchie Bros had the Lady Jane Ritchie, the Tiger and another how's name I have forgotten. All the Ritchie boats were commandeered as pilot boats on various occasions

NZSCOTTY
13th December 2010, 18:20
Yes I remember the three fine pilot boats at Gourock pier. At the time I never thought about it but why 3 boats? The river was not that busy. Sure someone can explain.

joebuckham
13th December 2010, 19:59
Yes I remember the three fine pilot boats at Gourock pier. At the time I never thought about it but why 3 boats? The river was not that busy. Sure someone can explain.

maybe spare and repair/maintenance?

NZSCOTTY
13th December 2010, 20:23
If that the reason the must have had too much money!!

Gulpers
13th December 2010, 20:24
Cumbrae here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/117384/title/cumbrae/cat/534) used to take Pilots down to Cumbrae Heads for embarkation on the larger vessels e.g. Empresses and Cunarders.

Gantock here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/117959/title/gantcock/cat/516) used to work off Gourock and Kempock here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/117960/title/kempock/cat/534) was normally kept on a buoy in Cardwell Bay and covered with netting to deter the seagulls from perching ...... and other things that seagulls do! (EEK)

cunamara
13th December 2010, 23:55
Thanks for the pictures, Gulpers, but your making me homesick

NZSCOTTY
14th December 2010, 00:44
My schoolboy memory remembers all three at their berth at Gourock pier most of the time. I passed them often heading for the train to Greenock for school.

My old head now says there was some heavy overkill and too much money at this pilot station. Would be interesting to know how may pilotages took place in the 50's/60's and how many pilots were involved

John Cassels
14th December 2010, 08:36
Thanks for the pictures, Gulpers, but your making me homesick

You're homesick ! .

I'm homesick even without seeing these photos.

NZSCOTTY
14th December 2010, 20:24
You're homesick ! .

I'm homesick even without seeing these photos.

Throw Marcella over your shoulder with arms bound and mouth taped and get on the next ferry to UK and get back to Gourock - If you ar that homesick!!

sandystrone
14th December 2010, 20:56
Another pilot springs to mind was Bill Baird, who was a very fine yachtsman.
Gourock pier's western end used to get congested with pilot boats, and Ritchies ferries; which made it awkward to get in on Fergusons ferry from Kilmun.