Captain in Tights

ALAN TYLER
6th December 2010, 16:30
Just been out for a walk with the good lady, its rather cool to say the least. She remarked on clothing we were wearing and she said she had "tights" on under her normal clothing. That got me thinking I,m sure there was a certain Master who used to wear tights in cold weather!!! Who was he?

ART6
6th December 2010, 16:54
Captain Hook?

Binnacle
6th December 2010, 17:33
That got me thinking I,m sure there was a certain Master who used to wear tights in cold weather!!! Who was he?

"Long John" Silver
(Jester)

Ian J. Huckin
6th December 2010, 17:43
I wear tights under my hunting gear when the weather starts getting below -20f Just pray I do not wreck my truck or anything.....

john fraser
6th December 2010, 18:18
Just been out for a walk with the good lady, its rather cool to say the least. She remarked on clothing we were wearing and she said she had "tights" on under her normal clothing. That got me thinking I,m sure there was a certain Master who used to wear tights in cold weather!!! Who was he?
I was with one Master,a good few years ago, who showed me a pair of black woollen tights his wife had given him as a Christmas present.Trying to keep a straight face,I remarked that they would be fine on the long pilotage up the Elbe to Hamburg.in winter.He replied that were for him to wear while standing watching his beloved rugby.

Thats another Story
6th December 2010, 19:02
errol flyn.

Sister Eleff
6th December 2010, 20:04
My Mother would cut the feet off her tights or stockings (when she had laddered them) and give them to us to wear under our socks when wearing wellies in the snow, to keep our feet warm. We of course did it to humor her as we couldn't see what use they would be however, our feet did stay warm.

NoR
6th December 2010, 20:46
For a while I was 2nd Mate on the FE6 (mid 70s). In the winter it was perishing cold on the ramp Dover or Zeebrugge particularly at night. I used to wear flannel pajamas under my uniform (later upgraded to damarts).

One night I was at the top of the ramp in Calais with one of the assistant pursers, he remarked on the fact that my pajama trousers were visible over my shoes. He said "people will laugh at you if you wear pajamas, I wear a pair of my wife's tights".

No answer to that really.

Thats another Story
6th December 2010, 20:49
For a while I was 2nd Mate on the FE6 (mid 70s). In the winter it was perishing cold on the ramp Dover or Zeebrugge particularly at night. I used to wear flannel pajamas under my uniform (later upgraded to damarts).

One night I was at the top of the ramp in Calais with one of the assistant pursers, he remarked on the fact that my pajama trousers were visible over my shoes. He said "people will laugh at you if you wear pajamas, I wear a pair of my wife's tights".

No answer to that really.

i hope you never shared a cabin with him Allan(Jester)

Don Matheson
6th December 2010, 21:16
As part of the survival course for the North Sea rigs and platforms we were told to wear tights under our clothes to help keep us warm if we went into the sea. The thought of around sixteen North Sea Tigers in hospital having their tights removed seemed to discourage most guys.
Lifejackets also had a flashing light which fitted onto the hood.
Think about it, a flashing head on a guy thats wearing tights,,,,,,,,,,,,I would rather drown.

Don

The old longjohns dont half keep you warm in the winter though. Nighttime in the NS can be dammed cold.

cueball44
6th December 2010, 21:23
one of my nephews who worked in a dry dock in Hull slipped and broke his leg, he asked his workmates to ring him a taxi so he could get home, they took no notice and rang an ambulance instead, when the ambulance arrived he was screaming and bawling (not because of the pain) and effin and blinding shouting ''just get me a taxi i will be OK'', one of the lads who went with him to the hospital soon found out what all the fuss was about when the nurses removed my nephews jeans, he had his wife's tights on and was laying there staring at the ceiling with a big red face!. (LOL) 'cueball44'

billyboy
6th December 2010, 22:38
A gentleman with nice suit, bowler hat, briefcase and rolled umbrella was brought in by Ambulance. He said he was fine and didnt need to be in our accident and emergency department. He protested about getting undressed and putting a gown (hospital policy)
Nice black suspender belt and stockings he had on too. Didnt go with his red face though.

sparkie2182
6th December 2010, 22:50
Required attire for the Parachute Regiment and R.M. at the Falklands, and many places since.

Pat McCardle
6th December 2010, 22:53
I was a frequent wearer of said attire, black polka dot ones prooved to be the most popular with my shipmates! I had these on when I fell down the hold, needless to say the British Army heli-crew & Dr must have had a good laugh afterwards?

tsell
7th December 2010, 01:44
I tried a pair of them on once. I soon found out why they call them 'tights'.

Taff

Jon Vincent
7th December 2010, 04:38
I believe there was an old joke going round about what you could find in a pair of tights, it referenced several farm animals and a dead marine creature. In polite company the rest will have to be to your imagination.

Barmyclaresdad
7th December 2010, 16:06
Found them to be ideal to wear under my dry-suit when scuba diving in the UK

marinero
7th December 2010, 16:08
You could always tell if someone was wearing tights, as when they broke wind their ankles swelled. (Jester)(Jester)

Regards (Thumb)

cueball44
7th December 2010, 17:33
Just because they lack a flyhole should not put us off wearing them, especially in this weather, anyway where does it say that they are for female use only, i just class them as lightweight longjohns, and our lass enjoyed watching me dusting while wearing them.(LOL) 'cueball44'

Thats another Story
7th December 2010, 18:16
I'm a stocking and suspender man myself.(Jester)(Jester)

tonymorcom
7th December 2010, 18:20
they make the hairs on my legs itch personally.

Thats another Story
7th December 2010, 18:32
as we are going into the realms of cross dressing time for stormy weather(Jester)

cueball44
7th December 2010, 18:43
Max Wall must have put the idea in us males heads that it was OK to wear them, and he made plenty of money while performing in them.(Jester) 'cueball44'

Ron Stringer
7th December 2010, 22:01
Max Wall ... made plenty of money while performing in them.(Jester) 'cueball44'

So did Rudolf Nureyev[=P]

Jacktar1
7th December 2010, 22:26
mmmm........think I met up with all you guys in "Danny's Bar", ...Antwerp...(LOL)

vasco
8th December 2010, 16:15
It was rumoured Captain Jacques used to waer them when the Humboldt was on the Riga run. Don't know why, he really needed something to warm his heart up a bit.

ALAN TYLER
9th December 2010, 14:29
[QUOTE=vasco;475817]It was rumoured Captain Jacques used to waer them when the Humboldt was on the Riga run. Don't know why, he really needed something to warm his heart up a bit.[/QU

Could well be right there Vasco, I sailed with him on the Riga/Rouen run in the winter of 74/75 and it was certainly a bit chilly. Wonder if he,s still around he could admit or deny!!!

rob mcc
10th December 2010, 02:22
it was quite cold in riga in febuary i remember being stuck in the ice a couple of times in 1980 but i think our old man at the time captain allen was more in to stockings and susps than tights