Ice Cuter in Bristol Harbour

duquesa
7th December 2010, 11:10
I wonder if any members in the BBC Points SW catchment area picked up on this story yesterday. "The ice in the Floating Harbour was so bad that an ice cutter had to be used in order for the harbour ferries to operate". It was on at 18.30 and again at 22.30.
The ice yesterday was patchy and paper thin. The early morning commuter ferry was the only ferry operating between 06.30 & 10.30 and did so without any problem whatever. By the time the second ferry arrived on scene, the ice (such as it was) had dissipated. Odd how the BBC gets hold of these stories and presents them as gospel. This was total rubbish. I know - I was the commuter ferry driver (Thumb)

Apologies for the misspelling in the title -"Cutter" of course.

Sabastapol
7th December 2010, 17:29
I wonder if any members in the BBC Points SW catchment area picked up on this story yesterday. "The ice in the Floating Harbour was so bad that an ice cutter had to be used in order for the harbour ferries to operate". It was on at 18.30 and again at 22.30.
The ice yesterday was patchy and paper thin. The early morning commuter ferry was the only ferry operating between 06.30 & 10.30 and did so without any problem whatever. By the time the second ferry arrived on scene, the ice (such as it was) had dissipated. Odd how the BBC gets hold of these stories and presents them as gospel. This was total rubbish. I know - I was the commuter ferry driver (Thumb)

Apologies for the misspelling in the title -"Cutter" of course.

Par for the course these days I fear what err the media. Newspapers are the worst.

Keltic Star
8th December 2010, 03:18
Passage through wafer thin ice sure cuts a great waterline on a wooden boat but don't keep going too long.

By the way Duquesa, looking at your Location, how much ice have you actually got in Halki harbour? (==D)

duquesa
8th December 2010, 07:53
Not a lot!! (==D)
That balloon should have been removed when I sold my property there.
Thanks for drawing my attention to it. I'm not sure how to do that though.

duquesa
13th December 2010, 09:06
Well I've tried but a/ I cannot now find the page with the location balloons and b/ if I do I will have no idea how to change it.

gordy
13th December 2010, 11:50
I liked the spelling error, made me think you were boasting about your nice ice!

duquesa
13th December 2010, 11:52
Just a tired brain!

GWB
13th December 2010, 12:00
duquesa you were there and saw the facts in real time BBC staff are probably uni educated and have to gild the lilly to make new worthy stories.