Calchas - Deck Cargo

gadgee
27th November 2005, 16:57
I was a BP Deck Apprentice in the mid to late 1960's. I have just been re-reading my Journal which you had to keep then; it says that on March 27th 1967 we were at anchor off Aden when the "Calchas" steamed past with a complete Lightning jet fighter aircraft stowed on her fore deck. Wonder what was the story behind that?

Rhiw.com
20th February 2006, 18:34
I was a BP Deck Apprentice in the mid to late 1960's. I have just been re-reading my Journal which you had to keep then; it says that on March 27th 1967 we were at anchor off Aden when the "Calchas" steamed past with a complete Lightning jet fighter aircraft stowed on her fore deck. Wonder what was the story behind that?
That is strange!!! I saw a Blue Funnel boat bunkering at Las Palmas (circa 1970) with a Lightning jet on her deck, (without wings) I'm sure someone mentioned that she had loaded it at Hong Kong, but I can't remember what ship it was. Someone who sailed on Blue Flue must know the answer. Regards Tony.

john meekin
4th September 2008, 10:57
a shipmate dave duffy, did the maiden voyage on priam, in singaphore they loaded a fighter plane that was more expensive than the ship.the mate didn,t trust the dockers to operate the "stulken"so the crew loaded her.its strange because B.F.did,nt think the crews needed any training on new gear.i brought out the prometheus and we had zero training.we just had to feel our way. regards to all yorky meekin