First Female Nav Cadet

Stephen J. Card
15th December 2010, 01:32
Does anyone remember Sheila Edmondson, first female nav cadet in the Merchant Navy. Denholms from 1969 and I believe was sailing as 2nd Mate with Ellermans when she sat Masters FG in 1980.

Does anyone have details of her subsequent career?

Stephen

Billieboy
15th December 2010, 09:05
I seem to remember meeting her once in Rotterdam, I think she was a third mate on a Denholms ship by then.

John Cassels
15th December 2010, 18:21
Never sailed with her but knew many who did.

Decline to comment further .

Bigmo
15th December 2010, 19:32
Sailed with Shelia on her first trip as 3rd Mate on the sulphur boats in the early 70's, did her job professionally.

paisleymerchant
15th December 2010, 20:10
Never met her, but as I recall I was on the Loch Lomond and we had a female cadet, I think her first name was Helen.

randcmackenzie
15th December 2010, 21:11
Hello Stephen.

Her name was indeed Sheila Ann Edmundson, and she was doing her first trip on the Jersey Bridge when I joined in August 1968.

She had made a huge and commendable effort to get to sea, without having any idea what it entailed.

One of her minor disappointments was finding out that you didn't get knocked off all the time in port.

I do recall seeing in the Telegraph that she was presented with a bottle of champagne by Ellermans when she got her Master's, and had the grace to enquire whether they had given the same consideration to all the men who had done the same.

I suppose she accepted the bubbly just the same - wouldn't we all?

No idea what she did subsequently.

B/R.

Stephen J. Card
15th December 2010, 21:41
Gentlemen, thanks for your input.
You may have read in the news that Cunard have appointed a female master to their QUEEN VICTORIA.
It would be interesting to compare seagoing careers between Sheila and Cunard's female master. One spent her time on bulkers, tankers, nasty sulphur boats and tween deckers and the other seems to have raised on board passenger ships.

Stephen

Jon Vincent
16th December 2010, 01:33
Hi Paisleymerchant, you are right, it was Helen Hughs and another was Judith Durham, never heard what happened to any of them after their first trips.

Ron Stringer
16th December 2010, 07:27
Hi Paisleymerchant, you are right, it was Helen Hughs and another was Judith Durham, never heard what happened to any of them after their first trips.

Didn't Judith gain employment in the music business?

Jon Vincent
16th December 2010, 14:30
Ron, my mistake it should have read Marion Durham, but she was an Australian, there was one more female cadet but the name escapes me at the moment.

Stephen J. Card
16th December 2010, 17:08
Ron, my mistake it should have read Marion Durham, but she was an Australian, there was one more female cadet but the name escapes me at the moment.

Judy Matthews?

Graham Wallace
16th December 2010, 21:22
As far as I can find out the earliest BP female Navigating Apprentice was around 1973, 4 of them

Misses ( no Mz's in those days) Birtwhistle, Rutherford,Stroud and Thomlinson

Graham

randcmackenzie
16th December 2010, 23:21
As far as I can find out the earliest BP female Navigating Apprentice was around 1973, 4 of them

Misses ( no Mz's in those days) Birtwhistle, Rutherford,Stroud and Thomlinson

Graham

See my Post no.6 on this thread.

AlanHrpr
17th December 2010, 14:01
Judy Matthews?

Sailed with Judy on the Spey Bridge but lost track of her when she flew home from Chile. Any updates?

Alan

Kingham SJ
17th December 2010, 15:55

Didnt Helen sail as third mate,then married a chief engineer.

Angus Murray
18th December 2010, 13:17
Does anyone remember Sheila Edmondson, first female nav cadet in the Merchant Navy. Denholms from 1969 and I believe was sailing as 2nd Mate with Ellermans when she sat Masters FG in 1980.

Stephen

Sailed with female cadet on Avon Bridge (1971/72). For the life of me can not recall her full name, but first name was Anne. Seem to remember that she belonged to Fort William area. No idea what became of her. Maybe someone can shed some light ?

Paul Barford
18th December 2010, 13:29

Stephen
Sailed with Shiela on the Benreoch her first Ben Line ship back in 1974,she did a couple of trips and the last time I saw her she was on the Bencruachan around 1975/6. Believe she went on to the channel ferries and then became spokesperson for females in NUMAST.

DCMARINE
23rd December 2010, 00:07
Never sailed with her but knew many who did.

Decline to comment further .

John,
Wonder why you decline to comment further - maybe what is not said tells more than what is.
By the way I did not sail with her, or any of the others, either.
Donald

Calsatch
4th February 2011, 11:38
Ann Rutherford? believe she is in Tasmania, not an easy job to be a lady on the Spey Bridge, didn't the lady notice there was something odd about No 1 hatch?
+
C

Ian Brown
7th February 2011, 22:40
Met Sheila Edmonson at Vera Cruz when she was 3/O on the Bibi (as I had been previously) and I was 3/O on the Gina Maria.
Remember she said it was hard working with Spanish deck crew who were not happy taking orders from a female.
I recall they were a pretty macho bunch.
Seemed a pretty gutsy lady to handle it.

muldonaich
8th February 2011, 00:58
Ann Rutherford? believe she is in Tasmania, not an easy job to be a lady on the Spey Bridge, didn't the lady notice there was something odd about No 1 hatch?
+
C so what was wrong with no1 hatch brgds kev.

Malky Glaister
8th February 2011, 09:07
Calum, What was wrong with no 1 hatch also. All I can remember was it was smaller than the rest and the wrong end of the ship for me anyway!
regards Malky