Porthole ID

martinihenry
20th December 2010, 07:14
I received this nice, heavy porthole as a gift, and was curious to know if anybody has any thoughts on its maker and/or what sort of vessel it would have come from. The glass measures 16" across, and as you can see, it's a pretty typical looking two-lug affair. The only markings are shown in the second picture. The "16" is obvious, but I'm guessing the stylized "D" with a quill through it may be a maker's mark. Any thoughts much appreciated!

http://www.martinihenry.com/temp/porthole1.jpg

http://www.martinihenry.com/temp/porthole2.jpg

Ian J. Huckin
20th December 2010, 18:52
I would hazard a guess that it is less than 40 years, or so, old. Outside of that I wish I could help. Mine has the name of the ship stamped on it (but lacking the glass and one of the three lugs)

martinihenry
20th December 2010, 18:58
I would hazard a guess that it is less than 40 years, or so, old. Outside of that I wish I could help. Mine has the name of the ship stamped on it (but lacking the glass and one of the three lugs)

LESS than 40 years old? Really? I would have suspected it was much older than that, but what do I know. Thanks for your message.

Ian J. Huckin
20th December 2010, 21:51
My reasoning is that it appears rather light in design, though I knows it weighs a ton. Also, two dogs instead of three and the glass at 16" seems large too, though all these might be a function of where it was installed, like well above the weather deck but before they went square (ish)

Remember the old cast iron fire places? well each one had a casting number and there are actually books that record just about every fire place made. I am sure that some intensive research will come up with a result for your ID stamps. Good luck.

Boatman25
20th December 2010, 22:21
Would suggest that it is a 1940s Cargo ship main / upper deck accommadation porthole

william dillon
21st December 2010, 21:44
Could be a nautical toilet seat with seat belt anchor points fitted (for rough weather !!!).LOL.

randcmackenzie
21st December 2010, 22:19
To be on a freeboard deck it would probably be heavier, and have three dogs and a deadlight.

Therefore I would suggest it came from somewhere above the maindeck.

For example, even quite modern ships with rectangular windows in the cabins and messrooms would have portholes in the pantries and toilets.

Pat Kennedy
22nd December 2010, 20:09
This is only the internal part of the porthole assembly. There would also be the external brass ring with holes drilled in it to match those in the internal ring, plus dome headed brass bolts and brass nuts fitted internally. then there was the cast steel deadlight also fitted internally, and finally a steel 'eyebrow' welded to the bulkhead above the external fitting was an optional extra.
I once watched from my crane cab as a series of portholes were installed on the main deck of a BP tanker on the slipway at Cammell Lairds.
The number of men involved was extaordinary.
First a marker off and his mate, who measured up and punched holes in the bulkhead. Then a burner and his mate to cut out the hole. Then a caulker to fettle the rim, followed by a painter who applied red lead to the bare metal surfaces. Then a driller and mate to install the bolt holes. Next up were a coppersmith and a fitter and fitter's mate. These three actually fitted the porthole and deadlight.
They took the best part of a week to install a run of about twenty portholes.
All very understandable if you consider that in those days there was no continuity of employment. Once the ship was launched and handed over to the fitting out trades, most were laid off without pay until the next ship was started.

vickentallen
22nd December 2010, 21:42
Steel "eyebrow" = Wriggle

E.Martin
23rd December 2010, 09:35
When Oil Rigs appeared in the North Sea lots of Trawlers were converted for
rig standby vessels,all the port holes were removed from the caseing and replaced by a welded plate should imagine thousands of portholes were sold.