Xmas Menu

ALAN TYLER
20th December 2010, 14:09
Just found this old Houlders Menu for 1982.

Smoked Scotch Salmon with Brown Bread & Butter
Goose Liver Pate with Melba Toast
Chilled Pacific Prawns & Golf Sauce
Avocado Pear Crustacea
Honeydew Melon Frappe
Creme of Tomato Consomme Royale
Grilled Whole Dover Sole Maitre d, Hotel
Fillet of Beef Wellington Chasseur Sauce
Baked Virginia Peach Ham Madeira Sauce
Roast Traditional Turkey Forcemeat Stuffing
Vegetables
Brussel Sprouts Glazed Baby Carrots Asparagus Tips
Potatoes
Croquette New Boiled Saratoga Chateau
Cold Buffet
Dressed Suckling Pig Roast Rib of Beef
Glazed Saddle of Lamb Fresh Tay Salmon in Aspic
Various Fresh Salads in Season
Cole Slaw Waldorf Nicoise Mimosa
Steamed Christmas Pudding and Brandy Sauce
Brandy Snaps Walnut and Chocolate Gateaux Yule Logs
Mincemeat Pies Strawberry Cheesecake Sherry Trifle
Christmas Cake After Eight Mints Qaulity Street
Petit Fours Assorted Nuts Dates and Figs
Assorted English and Continental Cheese Board
Various cheese Crackers French Bread Hot Rolls
Seasonal Fresh Fruit Platter
Coffeee Cigars Cigarettes
All washed down with Non Alcoholic Wine, Okay so it was Offshore. Happy Xmas Everyone Alan T.

MARINEJOCKY
22nd December 2010, 18:41
So there I was reading down the menu thinking to myself that we were well looked after with Houlders, the more I read the more I was thinking the Joule & Humbolt were not so bad after all, even the Black Max started to look good....

...but then I came to the last line, washed down with non alcoholic wine and offshore, of course what was I thinking we were on one pound 30 pence per man per day while the offshore guys were on something like 10 or 12 pound per man per day (correct me if I am wrong Leo)

I ate like a pig on the Uncle John while the other guys had to stick to there diets as I knew I was only going to be there for a short (dry dock) period so I made the most of it.

rob mcc
23rd December 2010, 02:47
spent one cristmas on the brandon priory the next two on the denby/stolt grange two on the cerinthus the food was good the crack was good but most of the lads would rather have been somewhere else

ALAN TYLER
23rd December 2010, 11:18
spent one cristmas on the brandon priory the next two on the denby/stolt grange two on the cerinthus the food was good the crack was good but most of the lads would rather have been somewhere else

Hi Rob I also had xmas away on the Clyde bridge 1969, Furness Bridge 1970, Stolt Tudor 1972 and the Humboldt 1974 plus the Offshore ones and agree with you the food and crack were good. Plus the fact that you could have the booze!!!! deep-sea.

tonymorcom
23rd December 2010, 13:53
Hi guys, I spent Xmas 1973 on the Hardwicke Grange which I seem to remember being rather grand because of the passengers. Xmas 1975 on the Black Max (see menu) which was a very alcoholic affair, Orotava for Xmas '77 and my last one was 1978 on the Upwey Grange safely iced in in Kotka up in Finland. That particular Xmas day was spent aboard a Russian cargo ship astern of us. Will always remember their hospitality which began with everyone being given a bottle of scotch as we walked aboard.That party lasted for 3 days!!!

marinero
23rd December 2010, 15:56
So there I was reading down the menu thinking to myself that we were well looked after with Houlders, the more I read the more I was thinking the Joule & Humbolt were not so bad after all, even the Black Max started to look good....

...but then I came to the last line, washed down with non alcoholic wine and offshore, of course what was I thinking we were on one pound 30 pence per man per day while the offshore guys were on something like 10 or 12 pound per man per day (correct me if I am wrong Leo)

I ate like a pig on the Uncle John while the other guys had to stick to there diets as I knew I was only going to be there for a short (dry dock) period so I made the most of it.

Hi Mal.
When I first started offshore I believe it was in 3+ range. The figures you quote were for much later on and I think were inclusive of Catering Staff wages and expenses. Deep Sea, only the cost of food was taken into account and it depended on the number of extra meals you could include (Pilots,Agents and Charterers etc.)
Mind you though Mal when I did bacon sarnies for everyone pulling pistons late at night it all went down as extra meals. That way you could buy treats for the Ship's Crew and get away it. Although I must admit the feeding offshore was rather superior and on the "Oregis" we had a reputation for serving the Helicopter Pilots their meals on proper crockery rather than the "Take Away Cartons" much loved by other operators. Alan Tyler who started this thread was the Head Chef when I first went Offshore and his guidance stood me in good stead. (of course I paid for that later with copious amounts of alcohol)

Regards (Thumb)(Thumb)

Nick Batstone
23rd December 2010, 21:04
My first Xmas at sea was the Humboldt in '78 and although the menu wasn't as grand as our richer offshore cousins I recall it being a great laugh with some great food.

MARINEJOCKY
24th December 2010, 03:39
Hi Leo, have partaken in a verry good few tonight but really like the replies

tomorrow I will right more but tonight you guys are good

now,

thise other wankwers who like toi knock me on a regular basis, fuch u and your bouyfreidns, man thse tens beer sure did taste good

trotterdotpom
24th December 2010, 07:03
Only "tens beer" - what is known in Australia as a "two pot screamer">

John T.

ALAN TYLER
24th December 2010, 11:42
Merry Xmas Leo, Thanks for those kind words just wish you over here to buy me some more alcohol!! All the very best to you and all the family. Alan & Ann.
PS the alcohol wouldn,t cost much these days as I,ve slowed down, just about 8 pints worth of bitter!!

ALAN TYLER
24th December 2010, 11:44

now,

thise other wankwers who like toi knock me on a regular basis, fuch u and your bouyfreidns, man thse tens beer sure did taste good

Morning Mal, hope you had a good nights sleep, now time for a "livener" Merry Xmas Alan.

marinero
24th December 2010, 14:18

now,

Only ten beers Mal, you must be slowing down. Here's me thinking I had taught you well. I might even partake of a gin & tonic tonight.

We are in the UK for Christmas seeing the grandchildren, back to Spain 5th Jan.

All the best for the fetivities Mal. Take care.

Leo (Thumb)(Thumb)

marinero
24th December 2010, 14:27
Merry Xmas Leo, Thanks for those kind words just wish you over here to buy me some more alcohol!! All the very best to you and all the family. Alan & Ann.
PS the alcohol wouldn,t cost much these days as I,ve slowed down, just about 8 pints worth of bitter!!

All the best Alan to you and Ann.
Got the house in Spain up for sale. Valerie wants back to the UK to see the grandchildren grow. Although with the state of the market in Spain it could be quite a while. It's as bad as the market over here in the UK.

Take Care, Leo & Valerie (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
24th December 2010, 15:50
Funny what a good speller I become after partaking in a few.

Fear not Leo, lessons were well learnt, the ten beers were the start followed by copious amounts of Barcardi diluted with coke, bottle of wine with the food, more Barcardi, some good singing, better dancing, looking good (in my eyes) for the ladies.............

....reality, yes alot consumed and me thinking I could still do it however this mornings hangover proves otherwise.

Looking at my discharge book I was on the Cumbria for xmas 1973, Cavendish 1975, Cavendish 1976 and the Humbolt 1978. All Houlders.

I remember buying a guitar in Houston and trying to learn to play the darned thing to no avail, I was sent forward to practise as the noise I was making was upsetting everybody in the bar. I managed to learn the first 17 notes of Oh Come All Thee Faithful and was quite proud.

I went to play it in front of everybody on xmas day and was drowned out after 1 or 2 notes and that was my only sober memory of that Cavendish xmas.

Any way I am away to shoot a few loops with my son, that means in good old english I am going to play basket ball with him.

A very merry Christmas to you all, even to the poor people (another thread another story).

Best Wishes & a Prosperous New Year and if you are poor and in danger of loosing your job you probably deserve it. No I do not mean that but that little "chicken" who Tried to insult my son deserves what ever is coming his way.

Alan / Leo, Do you have any good recipes for ox tail in a brown gravy kind of sauce and also how do you cook bread sauce that goes with Turkey. My mother has forgotten and she buys the stuff in a pack that is now available in the UK.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year, ME

BOB.WHITTAKER
24th December 2010, 19:00
ALAN / LEO , if my memory is corect the alcohol free red wine on the offshore units was labeled as "BOOZENBURG", Ribena had a bigger kick. Cheers lads, Bob Whittaker

ALAN TYLER
27th December 2010, 13:46
Mal, Firstly Braised Oxtail Jardiniere, more commonly known as "Shithouse Lid".... Get the oxtail jointed at the butchers. Put the oxtail in a roasting tray and put in a hot oven to seal the meat,(this can also be done in a stewpan on top of the stove) Take the meat out of the pan/tray and add diced carrots,celery,onions after sweating the vegetables off till starting to go brown add the oxtail again.Take off the heat and add flour brown or white to absorb the fat. (if theres alot of fat drain some off before adding the flour). Now add 2pints of cool beef stock if its hot it will create lumps. Season with salt/pepper, herbs optional. Now leave to cook in the pan on the stove top or better still place in a casserole dish in the oven to cook slowly (3hours+) on a medium heat. A quick way to make the gravy is to use "bisto" granuals but be sure to drain off all the fat, before adding the bisto gravy.
ps for the Jardiniere bit cut the veg into strips!!
Bread Sauce....2ozs breadcrumbs,1/2oz fat 1 onion, 2 cloves, 1/2 pint milk seasoning.
Put the onion,cloves and milk into a saucepan, warm for 15 minutes (do not boil). Then strain the milk into the breadcrumbs beat in a knob of butter and season.
Hope this all makes sense to you..Bon Appetite.

ALAN TYLER
27th December 2010, 13:50
Mal just remembered if using white flour use plain and also you will need gravy browning!!!

MARINEJOCKY
27th December 2010, 14:33
Alan, Many thanks, I have printed off the recipe and handed it to the Chief Steward, she tells me that I am going to have to go to the butcher myself which I will do this week and will report back.

I cann't wait for the bread sauce as I used to love that stuff.

Cheers

vasco
27th December 2010, 21:03
Alan, Many thanks, I have printed off the recipe and handed it to the Chief Steward, she tells me that I am going to have to go to the butcher myself which I will do this week and will report back.

I cann't wait for the bread sauce as I used to love that stuff.

Cheers

Mal,

I used the quick method, a pressure cooker. Used to take half hour and meat fell off. As tasty as any, not got recipe anymore as it fell out of favour when the kids found out what it was.
John

MARINEJOCKY
17th July 2011, 12:53
Well guys, the chief steward is out of town so off I went to the butchers and bought the ox tail. Went to the store and bought the rest of the stuff. I followed Alans recipe only adding potatoes and browning / sealing the meat through everything into one of those slow cookers and cooked it for 4 hours. Used the bisto granules and cooked for another 20 mins after adding them.

It was wonderful, every bit of meat fell off the bone and every bite brought back many memories.

Now just to try the bread sauce....

rob mcc
17th July 2011, 18:14
can not believe it has taken you nearly severn months to try this exotic dish hope you get round to the bread sauce soon

MARINEJOCKY
17th July 2011, 18:37
I had banned her from cooking pop-corn while I was in the house so she (my chief steward from Texas) so had to wait until she was out of town and I had some time on my hands.

Her face is something else when cooking black pudding and she has a problem understanding the delight in eating beans on toast with the toast done on an open fire and butter with salt in it so you may get an idea of her reaction when I asked her about ox tail.

I asked her if I should save her some for when she comes home on friday and was told the garbage truck (dustbin) comes on monday morning.

Dustin Clark just won the Open so all is good.

ALAN TYLER
17th July 2011, 20:07
Hi Mal, Glad you enjoyed the "Sh.. House lid!! it really is a great dish. By the way Darren Clarke won the Open, not a player of the game myself but made great viewing on a wet dismal "summer" afternoon. Off to Paris this weekend to see "Cav" win the last stage of the Tour. Alan T.

MARINEJOCKY
17th July 2011, 20:37
Dustin, Darren, maybe mad cow disease was in that Ox Tail, what ever it was it tasted very good, thanks Alan.

vasco
20th July 2011, 02:55
Mal,
20 mins in a pressure cooker does the trick.
My kids used to love the Beef and Bone stew until they discovered what it was. Now, with apartment living, the pressure cookers gone and so have 2 of the kids. The other one eats bird and pork so I only get swinging steak at restaurants.
J

MARINEJOCKY
28th July 2011, 01:44
Mal,
20 mins in a pressure cooker does the trick.
My kids used to love the Beef and Bone stew until they discovered what it was. Now, with apartment living, the pressure cookers gone and so have 2 of the kids. The other one eats bird and pork so I only get swinging steak at restaurants.
J

Having survived one trip on the Brandon many years ago I have avoided all things connected to steam pressure ever since except for boiling the kettle and will stick to that, thanks very much JP.

Do pressure cookers come with soot blowers :sweat:

marinero
28th July 2011, 12:59
Hi Mal/Alan Have sold the house here in Spain and looking forward to getting back to the UK end of September (all being well)
It's going to be weird house hunting at our age and starting all over again but looking forward to it. Will have lots of time for the grandchildren now, having weekends away in a caravan somewhere.
If we get over to Disneyland Malcolm you had better lookout as we will be calling.

Regards

Leo(Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
28th July 2011, 13:12
Maybe's we could have a Houlders reunion with Donald Duck.

You returning to the UK in September for the good weather. Where abouts are you going to be house hunting, good luck and enjoy those kids.

marinero
28th July 2011, 14:57
Maybe's we could have a Houlders reunion with Donald Duck.

You returning to the UK in September for the good weather. Where abouts are you going to be house hunting, good luck and enjoy those kids.

I never knew Donald Duck worked for Houlders Malcolm. Mind you though we put a little nodding duck in the bar on the "Cavendish" because of Mike Mitchell's habit of nodding back and forth.
We are going back to County Durham which is where I am from and all the family live. Looking forward to it.

Regards

Leo(Thumb)

George Simpson
30th July 2011, 16:46
On your way back Leo I'm sure County Durham has been calling you for a while. Have a smooth safe trip back.

Best Regards

George

PS I was playing golf with Ian Cowieson a few weeks ago he said to say hi to all the guys here who know/knew him. By the way I bumped into Mitch a few months ago old buggers still going strong.

MARINEJOCKY
30th July 2011, 17:01
I never knew Donald Duck worked for Houlders Malcolm. Mind you though we put a little nodding duck in the bar on the "Cavendish" because of Mike Mitchell's habit of nodding back and forth.
We are going back to County Durham which is where I am from and all the family live. Looking forward to it.

Regards

Leo(Thumb)

Hi Leo,

County Durham, Bishop (& West) Auckland, Shildon, brings back memories for sure, my mams family moved there from Rose Cottage,Redesdale, Northumberland back in the early '60's. MY granda was a train driver and go down there to rid on his steam train and go to watch the "Rocket man" at the saturday morning movies. We had no movie theater in our village. I guess Consett iron works has been closed for a while by now.

Once you get settles you will have to make it back up the North Tyne, I was telling my folks that you were moving back and they (so they say) say they remembered you.

All the best, Malcolm

I thought ir easier to write Donald Duck as I expected alot of smart a55 comments about Mickey Mouse and Houlders (Gleam)

marinero
31st July 2011, 12:08
On your way back Leo I'm sure County Durham has been calling you for a while. Have a smooth safe trip back.

Best Regards

George

PS I was playing golf with Ian Cowieson a few weeks ago he said to say hi to all the guys here who know/knew him. By the way I bumped into Mitch a few months ago old buggers still going strong.

Thanks for that George. You're right about being called back. It's where you come from, it never leaves you.
Say hello to Ian the next time you see him and it's nice to know Mitch is still going strong.
Weather rather hot here at the moment 100 in the shade.

Regards

Leo(Thumb)

marinero
31st July 2011, 12:16
Hi Leo,

County Durham, Bishop (& West) Auckland, Shildon, brings back memories for sure, my mams family moved there from Rose Cottage,Redesdale, Northumberland back in the early '60's. MY granda was a train driver and go down there to rid on his steam train and go to watch the "Rocket man" at the saturday morning movies. We had no movie theater in our village. I guess Consett iron works has been closed for a while by now.

Once you get settles you will have to make it back up the North Tyne, I was telling my folks that you were moving back and they (so they say) say they remembered you.

All the best, Malcolm

I thought ir easier to write Donald Duck as I expected alot of smart a55 comments about Mickey Mouse and Houlders (Gleam)

Hi Malcolm.

Consett closed many years ago and all the red dust has gone from the town and the surrounding countryside. It's funny you mention Bishop/West Aukland, my ancestors moved there from Ireland about 1860 to work in the coal mines and we have stayed in County Durham ever since.
We certainly will look your folks up when we get settled and as to Mickey Mouse and Houlders, I reckon a lot of people myself included did very well working for them. John Houlder was a very enlightened & fair man and very forward thinking with regard to the people he employed.

Best Regards

Leo (Thumb)

rob mcc
31st July 2011, 14:35
had many good times sailing with houlders micky mouse charickters there where no cowboys just a few oddballs who wanted to be goucho"s after being on the south american run for a long tme

MARINEJOCKY
31st July 2011, 15:06
No, I did not mean Houlders were in any way Mickey Mouse, I was trying to give a funny answer that does not look funny now.

I like many others had great times with Houlders and was it not JH who came up with the idea of using crude oil as an insulator in the gas tankers.

My dad used to take Marley Tiles from Ebchester and it was a big thing if we went down there to see the **** stuff being dumped over the edge from the iron works, bright red and it would light up the sky for miles. Went there on a visit from Ashington Tech once as well, pretty amazing those mills.

marinero
1st August 2011, 16:45
No, I did not mean Houlders were in any way Mickey Mouse, I was trying to give a funny answer that does not look funny now.

I like many others had great times with Houlders and was it not JH who came up with the idea of using crude oil as an insulator in the gas tankers.

My dad used to take Marley Tiles from Ebchester and it was a big thing if we went down there to see the **** stuff being dumped over the edge from the iron works, bright red and it would light up the sky for miles. Went there on a visit from Ashington Tech once as well, pretty amazing those mills.

I knew what you meant Mal. I don't know about using oil as an insulator(bit beyond my pay grade) but he was that sort of bloke.
Busy arranging someone to transport our belongings to the UK for when we go.

Take Care

Leo(Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
6th August 2011, 10:59
Hi Leo, Great to hear you,re coming "home", hope all goes well with the move and house buying. At least you won,t have any problem with hot weather over here unless you moved to the south east. Take care will e-mail you more fully soon. Alan.

marinero
7th August 2011, 18:33
Hi Leo, Great to hear you,re coming "home", hope all goes well with the move and house buying. At least you won,t have any problem with hot weather over here unless you moved to the south east. Take care will e-mail you more fully soon. Alan.

Hi Alan. really looking forward to getting back now. Got some of the grandchildren coming out on Tuesday so looking forward to that. Once we get settled in we will have to meet up with you and the good lady.

Speak Later Leo (Thumb)