Ferry 'cross The Mersey

PADDY
20th December 2010, 20:12
Doing the old nostalgia thing today, came across a CD with Jerry Marsden singing
‘ Ferry ‘cross the Mersey’. One line that struck me was “ We don’t care what your name is boy, we’ll never turn you away”
I thought how true that was, , as a 16 year old green kid from Dublin( no pun intended!) I was always welcomed to my mates homes on both sides of the Mersey.
So to all Scousers , A Very Merry Christmas!!

eldersuk
21st December 2010, 00:18
Thank you Paddy, very civil of you.

Derek

Cutsplice
21st December 2010, 21:54
Thanks Paddy for confirming what we know to be true, there are some who would disagree with you but they generally have never been to Liverpool so they do not speak from experience.
Its nice to hear someone from other parts speak highly of us and thanks for your tribute. Have a great Christmas and 2011 also.

sparkie2182
22nd December 2010, 00:45
"there are some who would disagree with you"

I can't think of many, Cutsplice, and none worth worrying about.

Happy Xmas to all Merseysiders.

astew3184
23rd December 2010, 16:48
Doing the old nostalgia thing today, came across a CD with Jerry Marsden singing
‘ Ferry ‘cross the Mersey’. One line that struck me was “ We don’t care what your name is boy, we’ll never turn you away”
I thought how true that was, , as a 16 year old green kid from Dublin( no pun intended!) I was always welcomed to my mates homes on both sides of the Mersey.
So to all Scousers , A Very Merry Christmas!!

I would agree with Paddy at 16 and away from Perth in Scotland in 1964 December I attended Alfred Holt & Co. deckboy training in Birkinhead, you could not meet a friendlier bunch of people, Likewise a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all both sides of the Mersey.(Thumb) Andy Stewart
R805875

barrypriddis
23rd December 2010, 19:16
Married a scouser. Never regretted it. In fact best thing I have evr done:)

Coastie
23rd December 2010, 19:20
Aww, you auld romantic!!(Flowers)(Jester)

woodend
23rd December 2010, 19:40
I am still proud to have been an imitation Scouse'! Born and bred in Wallasey : the bedroom of Liverpool (fur coat and no drawers) as the expression went.
A very blessed, peaceful and safe Christmas to all who make this website what it is!

terence
24th December 2010, 00:13
most of my mates was scousers
but when you get to an age of say 21 why do they keep on calling you [boy]
terry music man

tony poutch
28th December 2010, 16:29
Before I ever went to the deck boy school in Birkenhead ,I heard all about the warmth and the wit of the scouser from one of Liverpools adopted sons .When back home in Dublin Peter Farrell never stopped talking about his favourite city ,the people and the friendly banter that went on between Liverpudlian and Evertonian.I'm delighted to say that I found everthing that Peter told me about this great city to be true. Even though Peter was an Evertonian he is remembered by both the blue and red side of the city

degsy
28th December 2010, 18:10
Well said and thank you Tony, the same could be said for Dublin crowds. I well remember the craic on the Onitsha. Wishing you a Happy New Year (Applause)

Pat Kennedy
28th December 2010, 19:07
Before I ever went to the deck boy school in Birkenhead ,I heard all about the warmth and the wit of the scouser from one of Liverpools adopted sons .When back home in Dublin Peter Farrell never stopped talking about his favourite city ,the people and the friendly banter that went on between Liverpudlian and Evertonian.I'm delighted to say that I found everthing that Peter told me about this great city to be true. Even though Peter was an Evertonian he is remembered by both the blue and red side of the city

Peter Farrell was one of my heroes. He was captain of Everton in the first match I saw at Goodison Park as a twelve year old schoolboy, a 3-3 draw with Manchester United, and Peter played a blinder. a great footballer.
regards,
Pat(Thumb)

tony poutch
29th December 2010, 08:16
Peter Farrell was one of my heroes. He was captain of Everton in the first match I saw at Goodison Park as a twelve year old schoolboy, a 3-3 draw with Manchester United, and Peter played a blinder. a great footballer.
regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Peter scored an away goal on his home ground when Ireland played England in 1949 at Goodison ,he also demolished the heads of my mams roses when teaching me how to hit a ball on the volley.He was still great pals with his boyhood pal Tommy Egglinton who also signed for Everton in 46.What would that pair cost now.

Pat Kennedy
29th December 2010, 19:25
Tony,
Tommy Eglington ,the flying winger, another Everton great.
I remember when both he and Peter Farrell signed for Tranmere Rovers after their Everton days were over and played some blinders in Birkenhead.
One of my Dublin cousins took me to Tommy Eglingtons butcher's shop in Clontarf some years later, but the great man was having a day off.
regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Cutsplice
29th December 2010, 20:29
Pat, obviously Tommy was pre warned of your impending visit and decided to do a runner. It was nice yesteryear when footballers retired from playing and became pub landlords where on could meet them on ones social rounds. The last footballer I came across as mine host was Rodreguis who played for Leicester and won the FA cup with Southampton in 73 or 74. I was doing a shiphandling course at Marchwood Southampton and he was mine host in a pub in Marchwood where we went for lunch.

Pat Kennedy
29th December 2010, 21:33
Cutsplice,
There was a Scottish international goalkeeper, Kenny Campbell, who played for Liverpool before the war, and ended his career playing for New Brighton, which was then a 3rd Division North team.
When he finally hung up his boots, Kenny opened a sports shop in Liscard, and sold me my first pair of boots and tin of dubbin, and advised me never to smoke cigarettes. He was about sixty by then, and I didnt believe my dad when he told me that Kenny was a famous footballer.
Dixie Dean had a pub in Chester called the Dublin Packet, and Tommy Smith the Liverpool hard man had a pub in Billinge called the Smithy.

MARINEJOCKY
29th December 2010, 22:22
I bet those boots had high sides and nailed in studs, dubbin, there's a word I had not heard of for a long time.

I heard Hodgson was fired tonight ?

petermc
29th December 2010, 22:25
Cutsplice,
There was a Scottish international goalkeeper, Kenny Campbell, who played for Liverpool before the war, and ended his career playing for New Brighton, which was then a 3rd Division North team.
When he finally hung up his boots, Kenny opened a sports shop in Liscard, and sold me my first pair of boots and tin of dubbin, and advised me never to smoke cigarettes. He was about sixty by then, and I didnt believe my dad when he told me that Kenny was a famous footballer.
Dixie Dean had a pub in Chester called the Dublin Packet, and Tommy Smith the Liverpool hard man had a pub in Billinge called the Smithy.

Pat
Ted Sagar the everton goalkeeper had the Blue Anchor in Aintree for a while in the sixties

Pat Kennedy
29th December 2010, 22:35
Just internet gossip at the moment Malcolm. A lot of fans want to see him gone. There are rumours that Manuel Pellegrini, ex real Madrid coach, has been in talks with the club.
Meanwhile, back on the Coastguard thread, your honour is being traduced, they are saying you dont know what a pan loaf is!
Come on MJ, get back there and kick ass.
Pat(Jester)

Derek Roger
29th December 2010, 22:52
I was at Riversdale 1963 to 1965 . Lived in digs at Aiggie Vale . As a young lad away from home I was impressed at they way we Scots were welcomed into the Scouse fold . Many good mates from there .
Everton fans seemed to like us as they had Alex Young ( King of the Scots ) and Jimmy Gabriel ( ex Dundee ) playing .
Our class at Riversdale had a real mixture of nationalites ; Singapore ; Wales ; Scotland ; Ireland as well of many English from all over .
All were treated the same and very well too. Invited into their homes for a Sunday dinner of spare ribs or Scouse ; most were not well off but were happy to share with strangers who were away from home .

I can not say enough to explain how well I enjoyed my stay in Liverpool for that short time ( Beatles were a bonus at the Cavern Club )

Derek

Cutsplice
29th December 2010, 23:58
In the sixties the United Powers a Threlfalls pub in Tithebarn St had an ex Blackburn Rovers player as manager, cant recall his name. Tony Hateley when he hung his boots up was a brewery rep dont know which brewery he worked for.
I agree the Scousers are quite a friendly lot my wife is an exception can be a real foe at times.

tony poutch
30th December 2010, 00:16
I remember my firsit morning in Liverpool as if it was yesterday.I had just come over on the cattle boat and was walking up the dock road .I stopped a docker and asked him how to get over to Birkenhead ,what a culture shock I stood there jobsmacked all I caught was over der Paddy lad .I couldn't make out what he said .I soon picked up on the accent and wit and for me Liverpool was to become home from home.The funny thing all my mates in the school reckoned I spoke funny.I remember the Spinners playing in the YMCA ,seeing Everton one wk and Liverpool the next ,doesn't get better than that

Derek Roger
30th December 2010, 00:40
I remember my firsit morning in Liverpool as if it was yesterday.I had just come over on the cattle boat and was walking up the dock road .I stopped a docker and asked him how to get over to Birkenhead ,what a culture shock I stood there jobsmacked all I caught was over der Paddy lad .I couldn't make out what he said .I soon picked up on the accent and wit and for me Liverpool was to become home from home.The funny thing all my mates in the school reckoned I spoke funny.I remember the Spinners playing in the YMCA ,seeing Everton one wk and Liverpool the next ,doesn't get better than that

The Orange and the Green ; Tony ; The Spinners + fried bread and brandy 'O .

Have a good new year . Derek

MARINEJOCKY
31st December 2010, 13:18
Hi Pat,

Anything but giving Bolton a good hammering on saturday and I can see him being out and after watching Bolton last week it may be that they will give Liverpool a good hammering.

I would like to see somebody like Alex Mcleish be the new manager, or some other younger british guy but certainly not "Big Sam".

Travelled to Liverpool twice as a kid, first time was to be met at the railway station by the then Liverpool football dentist who was a family friend. Ended up at the game next day and met Shankly and some of the team that night.

Next time was to travel to Canada docks to go aboard one of our ships for my interview to join Houlder Bros.

I think I told you before my dad had timber wagons running between Kielder in the borders and Ellsemere port so I have spent many many happy times in Liverpool, been through the tunnel a good few times but only went on the ferry once.

As for the other thread, to be honest I have a few days off and do not know what to do with myself and latched onto that. Pan Loaf, Daisy Island etc etc, not interested at all but thought I would wind them up, little did I know they are wound tighter than a ducks ar5e. Oh well what can I do, I think I will go for a walk around the estate, or take the boat out, no I will take my plane over to be in the Kop tomorrow to watch Torres score a double hat-trick along with Stevie G. falling over in the box five times and scoring each time from the spot.

Who said I live in a fantasy world.

All the best to you & your family (especially that one family member who is a Reds fan) for the New Year.

Pat Kennedy
31st December 2010, 14:39
Hi Pat,

Anything but giving Bolton a good hammering on saturday and I can see him being out and after watching Bolton last week it may be that they will give Liverpool a good hammering.

I would like to see somebody like Alex Mcleish be the new manager, or some other younger british guy but certainly not "Big Sam".

Travelled to Liverpool twice as a kid, first time was to be met at the railway station by the then Liverpool football dentist who was a family friend. Ended up at the game next day and met Shankly and some of the team that night.

Next time was to travel to Canada docks to go aboard one of our ships for my interview to join Houlder Bros.

I think I told you before my dad had timber wagons running between Kielder in the borders and Ellsemere port so I have spent many many happy times in Liverpool, been through the tunnel a good few times but only went on the ferry once.

As for the other thread, to be honest I have a few days off and do not know what to do with myself and latched onto that. Pan Loaf, Daisy Island etc etc, not interested at all but thought I would wind them up, little did I know they are wound tighter than a ducks ar5e. Oh well what can I do, I think I will go for a walk around the estate, or take the boat out, no I will take my plane over to be in the Kop tomorrow to watch Torres score a double hat-trick along with Stevie G. falling over in the box five times and scoring each time from the spot.

Who said I live in a fantasy world.

All the best to you & your family (especially that one family member who is a Reds fan) for the New Year.

MJ,
Check out today's Guardian online sports section.
There is a very good double page spread on what exactly is wrong at Liverpool FC, and why, and more to the point, whose fault it is.
Although a recent poll showed that 95% of the fans want Hodgson sacked, and King Kenny installed, this article points out that that is not going to do the trick, the malaise runs much deeper, and goes back to the days of Houllier and then Benitez.
As for my team, at least we are ahead of LFC in the league, but we just cant score goals. So not a very good outlook all round on Merseyside.
Anyway, Thanks for your good wishes, and the same to you and your's, and If I was in your shoes, I'd be out in the boat.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
31st December 2010, 15:26
Thanks Pat, just so you know in my fantasy world we do not wear shoes, in fact I was just checking the pool temp and there is something wrong with the heater.

Do you think that same story will be in the Daily Mail as SM sent me his copy of that paper. (*))

clevewyn
31st December 2010, 15:42
Never been to Liverpool but met plenty of Scousers in my time. Cant think of one I didn`t like.

tony poutch
31st December 2010, 16:11
Well said and thank you Tony, the same could be said for Dublin crowds. I well remember the craic on the Onitsha. Wishing you a Happy New Year (Applause)

A Happy New year to you and yours Degsy.Great times were had by all back then.

Cutsplice
31st December 2010, 21:14
Happy Yew Year to you and yours Tony. I always found Dublin to be a very friendly city, on my first visit there one evening I asked a pretty girl about a statue in O,Connell St why there were pieces missing from a statue there she explained the reason. Then said she was on her way to a dance in the Metropole and was meeting her friend outside, jokingly I said I would go with her.
She accepted but two of my mates declined to accompany me, the next morning while they nursed sore heads I had a smile on my face. Everytime I was in Dublin later I always made sure I went to the Metropole for a night or two, seen many bands there The Miami, The Royal etc.
Some years ago after a long period of absence I decided to visit the top of O,Connell St to see if the Metropole was still going and if so what was it, but could not locate it or recognise the building.
Now the question is "what became of it was it demolished or the building changed out of all recognition.

tony poutch
1st January 2011, 11:21
Happy Yew Year to you and yours Tony. I always found Dublin to be a very friendly city, on my first visit there one evening I asked a pretty girl about a statue in O,Connell St why there were pieces missing from a statue there she explained the reason. Then said she was on her way to a dance in the Metropole and was meeting her friend outside, jokingly I said I would go with her.
She accepted but two of my mates declined to accompany me, the next morning while they nursed sore heads I had a smile on my face. Everytime I was in Dublin later I always made sure I went to the Metropole for a night or two, seen many bands there The Miami, The Royal etc.
Some years ago after a long period of absence I decided to visit the top of O,Connell St to see if the Metropole was still going and if so what was it, but could not locate it or recognise the building.
Now the question is "what became of it was it demolished or the building changed out of all recognition.

Many Happy returns to you and yours Cutsplice.The Metropole was sold off in about 1972 to British Home Stores and a department store was built on the site .Penneys have a store there now .Many Dubliners would have great memories of the Metropole and many met their lifetime partners there .That pretty girl you met way back then more than likely does her Christmas shopping for the grandkids on your old stomping ground .Where does the time go .(==D)

The Dog
21st February 2011, 14:22
Bilol Tidy rightly says scousers are extremely witty, friendly, generous, and helpful......as long as you dont come from Liverpool..... then they just want to fight you. emmmmaybeeee.

Thats another Story
21st February 2011, 14:41
you can tell a scouser{but you can't tell him much}(Hippy)(Jester)