Norway

Paul UK
29th November 2005, 14:17
Norway has been spotted being towed off Singapore destination unknown, owners claim that she is still off Port Klang.

Paul

Thamesphil
29th November 2005, 16:44
Paul,

Any clue as to where this information came from? How reliable is it?

Cheers,
Phil

Paul UK
29th November 2005, 18:44
Yes Phil

Ruud has put the website up it is on maritimematters

see ruuds Norway Thread

Paul

ruud
29th November 2005, 19:02
Ahoy,
Yes so sorry for that, I couldn't put the link into here, so I did it in the other Norway, which all ready existed.

All codes are OFF

david smith
29th December 2005, 08:37
The Norway has been sold to Bangladeshi breakers and will be broken up at Chittagong. So much for assurances from NCL/Star cruises. Threat must be for the United States and Independance, both owned by the same company.
Sad end for such an Ocean Greyhound

Doug Rogers
29th December 2005, 09:33
Indeed David, very sad, their ilk will never ever be seen again.

flyer682
29th December 2005, 23:10
I feel priviledged to have been able to see this wonderful ship anchored off Klang last September. A sad end indeed to one of the last Atlantic liners.

Andrew Fisher
17th January 2006, 00:06
The Norway has been sold to Bangladeshi breakers and will be broken up at Chittagong. So much for assurances from NCL/Star cruises. Threat must be for the United States and Independance, both owned by the same company.
Sad end for such an Ocean Greyhound

I don't know which is worse, to be disfigured (nasty extra superstructure) and emalsculated (half the engines removed) like the France, or to remain in original condition but simply left to rot like the United States. Either way, the respective governments should surely have spent a fraction of the money they waste on (enter your choice of wasteful government spending here) to preserve these unique, irreplaceable, beautiful monuments of history.

Paul UK
17th January 2006, 10:33
Here Here Andrew

Very Sad

Paul

kelgels
17th January 2006, 10:55
There is a danish business man who has the cash ready to buy the norway/france and wants to convert her into a floating resort. The problem he has is he needs Star cruises to remove the clause from the sale contract prenting the breaker from selling her to anybody else other than another breaker. Hopefuly Star will remove the clause and she can be rescued. There is also another situation arising, if India rejects the French Aircraft Carrier it is likley they will reject the Norway also. There are also concerns wiether or not Norway can be accomdated at Alang or Chittagong, there have been reports that she is too big for these yards?

lakercapt
17th January 2006, 15:18
These breakers yards are not yards in any sense as they are just beaches.
Not the ones with palm trees and I must certainly would not swim on them!
I think of some of the ships I sailed on and think it would be great to put them full ahead from miles out and drive them right up the beach

fred henderson
14th February 2006, 15:51
It is reported that Norway is estimated to have between 1,250 to 2,000 tons of asbestos on board. That is a huge amount. The French Aircraft Carrier is thought to contain 75 tons.
If Norway does have that amount on board no one would be interested in trying to preserve her.

Fred

Principe_Perfeito
14th February 2006, 15:56
Hello Fred.

For sure ROTTERDAM (5) had a large amount of asbestos onboard and that didn't stopped the Dutch from saving here.
There are only two things you can do with a asbestos filled ship:
a) isolate it and don't disturbe it so it doesn't produce any dangerous dust;
b) simply remove it;

The second option is the more expensive and dangerous.

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

fred henderson
14th February 2006, 19:27
The point is that there is a major row in France because their MoD stated that their old Aircraft Carrier could go to India as there was only 35 tons of asbestos on board and they now have been forced to admit that there is 75 tons. This means that under EEC environmental regulations she should not have been sent to India until the asbestos had been removed.
It is now suggested that there is 2,000 tons in the cruise ship Norway. No one in Europe will want that liability.

Fred