RMAS Victoria

NickNZ
30th December 2010, 07:18
Having just seen a photo of her on this website; I have to ask. What is occurring??
She is described as " For inserting Special Forces..."
Can someone explain why this is so?
I am not questioning the RMAS in any sense. But rather why the RN does not have this vessel under it's auspices.

wigger
30th December 2010, 07:35
I'm sure somebody can shed more light Nick, but her predecessor Newton often supported SF as well, saw her a few times with interesting craft on deck.

Kinnie
30th December 2010, 10:40
Her name is SD Victoria. RMAS is long defunct. I would be surprised if the SF function was anything more than training. Don't be taken in by the builder's publicity blurbs.

NickNZ
30th December 2010, 21:45
Her name is SD Victoria. RMAS is long defunct. I would be surprised if the SF function was anything more than training. Don't be taken in by the builder's publicity blurbs.

Apologies for the RMAS/SD gaffe, force of habit. Perhaps you should take the Moderators to task for naming this section RMAS instead of the 'proper' SD.
What IS her 'normal' purpose then?

OLD STRAWBERRY
31st December 2010, 08:38
Apologies for the RMAS/SD gaffe, force of habit. Perhaps you should take the Moderators to task for naming this section RMAS instead of the 'proper' SD.
What IS her 'normal' purpose then?
Don't start that Nick!. It has taken ages to get the MODS to set up an PAS/RMAS section both in the gallery and forums. Don't rock the boat now Mate. The SN has decided to add Serco Denholm vessels into the same category as most of them work in the dockyards and for the MOD and many of them were ex PAS/RMAS as well, admittedly I wasn't too keen on the idea Myself but I am happy to accept the status quo. All You have to do is make sure You get the titles correct I am sure it is not that difficult!. And with that a happy new year to You.

NickNZ
31st December 2010, 10:41
I am happy to abide by your suggestion Strawbs. I have no axe to grind on this subject.
I have family who have. and comtinue to serve in the the tugs (The Fosters of Devonport) which are operated by the powers that be, at least they have kept the main part of the vessels buff and black.

Waighty
12th January 2011, 11:29
Don't start that Nick!. It has taken ages to get the MODS to set up an PAS/RMAS section both in the gallery and forums. Don't rock the boat now Mate. The SN has decided to add Serco Denholm vessels into the same category as most of them work in the dockyards and for the MOD and many of them were ex PAS/RMAS as well, admittedly I wasn't too keen on the idea Myself but I am happy to accept the status quo. All You have to do is make sure You get the titles correct I am sure it is not that difficult!. And with that a happy new year to You.

I spent some time correspondingng with "Andy" who agreed to set up the Royal Maritime auxiliary Service sub site and I'm very grateful for his help. I feel the site should serve the ex RMAS side and the current SD side, after all it's the same job being done - marine support to the RN principally, the other two services and OGDs (other gov't depts).

SD Victoria has been given the Red Ensign I assume to make her able to go anywhere without dipclear restraints and not forgetting it's cheaper than a RN vessel!

Please support this sub site otherwise it will disappear.

Slowone
12th June 2011, 11:07
SD Victoria, like SD Newton before her sailed under the red ensign when not working on MoD business, read into that what you want. She is offering ship staff new challenges working out how to undertake tasks with new equipment and a ship with different characteristics to the good old Newton. I understand they are basking in the sun at the moment.

joe732
13th June 2011, 09:41
SD Victoria, like SD Newton before her sailed under the red ensign when not working on MoD business, read into that what you want. She is offering ship staff new challenges working out how to undertake tasks with new equipment and a ship with different characteristics to the good old Newton. I understand they are basking in the sun at the moment.

SD Victoria was built for Serco, to be run under the Red Ensign.

I don't see how this could change just because she was working on MOD business?

Would that not entail re-flagging the vessel every time, if there is an implication that, on some tasks, she is not Red Ensign?

I don't think for a minute, that the MCGA, for all it's faults would allow any opting in and out of flag status, just to suit any commercial/MOD business, whichever is the flavour of the day.
Also, the costs would be prohibitive for a commercial company.

I'm quite sure that this would be news to the crew working on her also. (That she is not Red Ensign when operating on MOD business?)

James_C
13th June 2011, 18:49
It is quite possible to be British flag and then opt in and out of the regulations dependant on the nature of the task the vessel is performing, indeed warships, auxiliaries and state owned or operated ships have the right of exemption from the SOLAS and MARPOL regulations. The relevant text for these exemptions can be found in the "Application" preamble in both documents.
Regarding change of ensign (red to blue and vice versa) there are precedents, and in the legal sense not a huge amount changes as the vessel concerned is still a British flag ship, all that changes is the nature of her work.
For instance, a good few years ago the RFA would occasionally charter out its tankers to commercial companies for one off voyages or the like when they weren't required for use with the MOD.
For the duration of those (civilian) charters they flew the Red Ensign, even though the ship was still painted grey and had a full RFA crew. Said ships then reverted back to the RFA ensign on completion of the charter.
There has also been a number of red ensign commercial survey ships chartered by the MOD/Govt, and when in Govt service they have flown the blue ensign.

Regarding 'SD Victoria'; as has been mentioned, she has directly replaced 'Newton' and is used for training purposes, not operations.

mil511mariner
17th June 2011, 18:53
It is quite amusing how the AIS signal from SD Victoria appears and disappears at times..............

Slowone
18th June 2011, 19:40
AIS comes and goes because of the nature of the system - VHF range is quite short plus many area outside of europe do not have full coverage - well thats what I understand of the system

RetiredPMSO
20th June 2011, 15:09
It is quite amusing how the AIS signal from SD Victoria appears and disappears at times..............

Back up and showing on Marinetraffic as arriving in Plymouth today, though how the heck it works out that she was doing 57.6 knots is beyond me!

Slowone
20th June 2011, 18:28
Its a secret, have to wipe you out if anyone gets to know ;-) !!!!!!!!!

or the hardware is buggered .... again

mil511mariner
21st June 2011, 17:01
Back in Plymouth as Ron says in his post - but no vessel history - the boat just turns up in mid channel.

Marinetraffic,com and shipais.com both usually have good coverage out to Ushant and marinetraffic covers many areas of the world.

And yes slow one you are correct limited to VHF range aprox 45 miles or so depending on atmospherics, aerial height and power of the transmitter.

STRAWBERRY
8th October 2011, 18:58
SD Victoria, was built to replace the Newton. But the Newton was originally a trials vessel, but later to adopt a role as a training vessel for the royal marines and the like, and that is pretty much all she did. Trial seemingly no longer taking place. So the Victoria, was built to adopt this Training role solely! Not requiring the vessel to take on a trials role! Andy[=D]

tyneboy
9th May 2012, 14:26
I always thought that as Victoria was built as a World Wide Support ship that she was supposed to be much more than a training ship. With its complement of marines and both fast attack motorboats and RIBs it would be great for anti-piracy role

RetiredPMSO
9th May 2012, 14:42
I always thought that as Victoria was built as a World Wide Support ship that she was supposed to be much more than a training ship. With its complement of marines and both fast attack motorboats and RIBs it would be great for anti-piracy role

Good theory but Victoria does not have a complement of Marines the numbers will vary from nil to whatever the size of the training task is, and the worldwide is to allow training to take place on worldwide basis ranging from Norway to the tropics. Equally any change of role would require a change to the contract with Serco.