Cruise Line Survey

John Rogers
29th November 2005, 20:33
I spotted this survey on the best cruise line ships thought you may like to read it.
John.

CRUISE SHIPS
Large ships*
1. Crystal Cruises 94.1
2. Radisson Seven Seas 93.3
3. Celebrity 85.3
4. Oceania 84.8
5. Disney 82.4
6. Holland America 82.1
7. Princess 80.2
8. Royal Caribbean 75.4
9. Cunard 70.8
10. Orient Lines 67.2
* At least 500 passengers

Small ships
1. Silversea 92.4
2. Seabourn 91.9
3. SeaDream Yacht Club 90.2
4. Radisson Seven Seas 89.6
5. Grand Circle 87.0
6. Windstar 83.8
7. Sea Cloud 80.7
8. Peter Deilmann 80.5
9. Lindblad Expeditions 78.5
10. Abercrombie & Kent 78.4

fred henderson
29th November 2005, 20:56
Hi John
Can you tell us who carried out the survey and who was surveyed?

Fred

Gulpers
29th November 2005, 21:58
John,

Hard to believe that Stelios with easyCruise.com doesn't feature. Hmm, I wonder why? (Jester)

John Rogers
29th November 2005, 23:30
Fred, after reading your post I did some back-tracking trying to find the website,I was lucky, it didnt give any source of the survey but the info came from the website concierge,com and from a magazine called Conte nast Traveler. It also listed hotels,resorts and rental cars.
John.

Paul UK
30th November 2005, 09:55
Interesting where are Carnival and P&O Brands and how can Raddisson Seven Seas be in both lists.

Paul

Doug Rogers
30th November 2005, 10:26
The reason for the double entry for Radison SS may be that they only have three vessels and one of them is about half the size of the other two,,and they arent big at all by standards today!!.

fred henderson
30th November 2005, 11:16
Oceania only have two of the ex-Renaissance ships Doug, both of which are limited to 700 passengers, yet they appear in fourth place in the large ship class. The result of any survey really depends upon who is asked.
Travel magazines and the travel sections in newspapers do not seem to like anything that is popular with the general public. They devote several pages to pony trecking in Outer Mongolia, but rarely mention package holidays.

Fred (Read)

Paul UK
30th November 2005, 12:30
Thanks for that it would be interesting if they went by ship and not brand.

Paul

John Rogers
30th November 2005, 16:12
I just came off a Holland-American cruise (12 days) and it was fantastic,cant believe where HA stands in the rating. Going back for another in May to Alaska on the same line.
John

mclean
30th November 2005, 18:13
I just came off a Holland-American cruise (12 days) and it was fantastic,cant believe where HA stands in the rating. Going back for another in May to Alaska on the same line.
John

John, If you call at Victoria on your Alaska cruise, give me a call and we could have a pint. Regards Colinl

John Rogers
30th November 2005, 20:02
We will be in Vancouver for only a day before we sail so I will be downing a couple of pints of IPA which I enjoy. Last time there was in June 2003,Took the Trans Canada Train from Vancouver to Toronto, a great trip. Thanks Colin for the offer.
John

John Rogers
30th November 2005, 21:00
Fred, More data on that survey,sorry its so long.
John

METHODOLOGY
Every year since 1988, a select sample of Condé Nast Traveler readers have taken the Readers' Choice Survey. In 2005, the questionnaire was made available to 387,205 subscribers: 289,403 subscribers were sent by mail one of several partial, 16-page editions of the survey; and 97,802 subscribers received an invitation to a secure Web site that contained the complete 84-page questionnaire. The final tabulations of 27,957 responses were done by Mediamark Research, Inc., of New York City.

Organization Poll categories (Cities, Hotels, etc.) appear below, followed by the criteria for each. Questionnaires contained lists of candidates (individual cities, hotels, etc.), and space was allowed for write-ins. Only candidates that received a required minimum number of responses were deemed eligible for an award.

Evaluation Each candidate was rated, criterion by criterion, as excellent, very good, good, fair, or poor. Criterion scores, which represent the percentage of respondents rating a candidate excellent or very good, were averaged to determine the final score; e.g., Sydney's 88.8 is the average of its scores for Ambience, Friendliness, Culture/Sites, Restaurants, Lodging, and Shopping.

Airlines
Cabin Comfort
Cabin Service
Entertainment Options
Food/Beverages
Ticketing/Ground Services

Car Rental Agencies
Locations
Rates
Reliability of Fleet
Staff Efficiency
Vehicle Selection/Options

Cities
Ambience
Culture/Sites
Friendliness
Lodging
Restaurants
Shopping

Cruise Lines
Activities/Facilities
Cabins
Crew/Service
Design/Layout
Food/Dining
Itineraries

Islands
Activities
Beaches
Friendliness
Lodging
Restaurants
Scenery

Hotels
Food/Dining
Rooms
Service

Resorts and Safari Camps
Activities/Facilities
Food/Dining
Rooms
Service

fred henderson
30th November 2005, 23:00
Thank you John for a very full reply. It still means of course that the listing is the views of the Conde Nast readers. I have from time to time come across the magazine in hotel rooms but have never completed a survey for them, or any one else for that matter. I would be suprised if many of our members have participated. Nonetheless interesting information and thank you again John.

Fred (Thumb)