Captain / Commodore John Salvidge

RSalvidge
6th January 2011, 22:49
Hello,
My grandfather - John Salvidge - was a Captain and (I think) Commodore with Palm Line in the 60s/70s/80s. I was wondering if anyone knew him and could give me any information about him? He was with the Merchant Navy during WW2 and was sunk more than once. That's about all I know I'm afraid! He lived near Hull. There's very little online about the ships and crew!
Thanks
Rachel

ray1buck1
7th January 2011, 10:24
Rachel
I can’t add much but a little from his earlier seafaring days

John Salvidge signed on the “Radport” as 3rd Mate on the 19th June 1942 in Hull, he was 23years of age with 8 years service ( which means he went to sea circa 1934) the ship arrived in New York on the 27th July 1942 having sailed from Hull via various ports

Between February 1945 and October 1946 he made 7 voyages to the US New York as 2 Mate on the “Consuelo”

John Christopher Salvidge, Dia A No R184593 DoB 4th May 1919.

His Medal entitlement is given in this link
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?CatID=12&searchType=quicksearch&pagenumber=1&query=salvidge&first_date=&last_date=&queryType=1&sortSpec=first%5Fdate+desc&pagetitle=

Ray

stan mayes
7th January 2011, 12:33
Hello Rachel,
I knew your grandfather for many years when he was with Palm Line..
I did not sail with him -I was a ships rigger in Tilbury docks and we were contracted to Palm Line.
I have just posted information with his photo in the Gallery under Life Onboard..
Some members of this wonderful SN site sailed with Palm Line so you may hear
from them..
Regards
Stan

father john
9th January 2011, 10:24
Hello Rachel,
I remember your grandfather quite clearly. I sailed with him on two occasions on Palm Lines MV Bamenda Palm from Liverpool to west Africa, on the first occasion in 1963 I had recently obtained a second mates certificate and had joined Palm Line a couple of months beforehand, I was 4th Officer, your grandfather was the Captain. I sailed with him again in 1965 when I rejoined Bamenda Palm as 3 rd Officer. Your grandfather was a successful and talented ship-master who was well regarded by his crew and by the company. I found him to be a calm and understanding man whom I learned quite a lot of seamanship from.
John.

LSCH
15th May 2013, 09:44
Dear Rachel,

I am working on a history of the Nigerian National Shipping Line, and I have come across a report from the Union Archives at the University of Warwick that provides a very favourable evaluation of your grandfather as the Commander of the Dan Fodio. If you would like me to send you a copy of this offline via PDF, please let me know.

Lynn