isleofthanet
7th January 2011, 00:46
Does anyone have any news as to the condition of the QM

Alan

John Cassels
7th January 2011, 10:35
Does anyone have any news as to the condition of the QM

Alan

She is in Los Angeles , laid up as a tourist attraction.

R58484956
7th January 2011, 16:34
Do you mean the ex Cunarder QM, if so, she is going to rack & ruin behind the closed doors which you are not supposed to look behind.
Regarding the other QM I have no idea.

John Cassels
7th January 2011, 19:15
Do you mean the ex Cunarder QM, if so, she is going to rack & ruin behind the closed doors which you are not supposed to look behind.

You've got me there , closed doors you are not supposed to look
behind ..............?.
I thought she was on public display somewhere in the area of LA.?

Bob S
8th January 2011, 16:29

The "other" QM if you mean the ex: ferry that became a restaurant on the Thames, has been laid up in Tilbury Dock since 9th November 2009. Apparently sold to French interests for further use but I've heard no more since she arrived in Tilbury.

Regards

Bob

isleofthanet
8th January 2011, 22:33
The "other" QM if you mean the ex: ferry that became a restaurant on the Thames, has been laid up in Tilbury Dock since 9th November 2009. Apparently sold to French interests for further use but I've heard no more since she arrived in Tilbury.

Regards

Bob
Yes Bob, I meant this one so she is still at Tilbury. owned by whom then?.
I thought the Cunarder was in great shape, obviously not then? mind you it must be a continuous struggle to maintain

Regards

Alan

Bob S
9th January 2011, 13:21
Hi Alan,

All that I heard back in 2009 was that she had been sold for conversion into a floating hotel and will be moored at La Rochelle, France. She will have three suites, 24 four-star rooms and 18 three-star rooms. There will also be a restaurant, bar and fitness centre.

No more info available

Regards

bob

S. Toth
9th January 2011, 17:18
with regards to the cunard QM i heard she was undergoing a sort of restoration...

Bob S
13th August 2011, 17:18
Now up for sale by auction

http://www.capitalmarineauctions.com/shedule-auction.html

Bob

charles henry
15th August 2011, 16:24
Saw her once at distance in the murky morning gloom near the hoogly approaches.

Bless em all
Bless em all
The long, the short and the tall
Bless all the Sargents and WO1's
Bless all the corporals and their bloody sons
For I'm saying goodbye to them all
As back to their billets they crawl
For you'll get no promotion
This side of the ocean
So goodbye me lads
BLESS EM ALL

She ended up as Restaurant/Hotel in California.

Chas (Pint)

captain61
16th August 2011, 11:11
Now up for sale by auction

http://www.capitalmarineauctions.com/shedule-auction.html

Bob

Thanks for the link Bob, looks like they have had a lot of interest in her including a group from france

Stephen

drwhoman
17th August 2011, 23:17
There is an article about her on the MaritimeMatters website encouraging wealthy Americans to take an interest. The article says that the Clyde authority has no interest in having her there. Reminds me of Peel Ports and the Manxman. These people, who are essentially real estate merchants, see no financial value in an old steamer. Just a possible expense to be avoided. You can understand it given what happens to some restoration ventures, which fail often due to an inconvenient location, but in the right setting they can be very successful. Look at the Britannia at Leith - yes she is linked into a shopping centre but she is successful. In the materialistic world in which we live shopping centres are the 'cathedrals' where the general population go regularly. If they can be convinced to spend a bit of time and money on an adjacent steamer (cream tea anyone?!) that help preserve that historic steamer then so be it. The general population has no interest in the sea today.

Davesdream
30th October 2011, 03:42
Here is a link to the current/Past Renovation projects for the Queen Mary.

http://www.queenmary.com/Renovations.aspx

I have heard through one of the other forums on the internet that they are looking at a possible dry dock. Apparently she had a bottom survey done.

Regards
Dave