Benlawers

Bob S
7th January 2011, 12:45
Hi,

Would anyone happen to know the date that Benlawers was on charter to the South African Marine Administration?

Regards

Bob

john fraser
7th January 2011, 14:25
Hi,

Would anyone happen to know the date that Benlawers was on charter to the South African Marine Administration?

Regards

Bob

Bob.
I joined her in Yokohama on28th.January 1978.That is around the date she commenced the charter as they painted on the Safmarine funnel colours in Kobe around then.I think she only did the one voyage from Far East to South Africa.back to Far East.There were many port delays,1 month at anchor off Durban.As she had a large cargo capacity,Safmarine were unable to get full cargoes for her from SA to FE.I remember she had a record day/rate charter as the Durban paper had an article about" The ship that costs a lot and does nothing".Later she went on to the mailboat run to Europe.when one of the mailboats had a fire on board.Hope this helps.

Bob S
8th January 2011, 15:01
Thanks John, that's brilliant. I have been trying to date a photograph taken at Southampton, one of the vessels was BENLAWERS and she became the GLOBE EXPRESS in 1978 so if she got the funnel colours that year also then I have a year for the photo.

Scan of photo attached, unfortunately the original is a bit faded but didn't come out to bad.

Cheers

Bob

Bob S
11th January 2011, 16:04
Ahhh

Just when I thought I had dated the photo, I see a photo of her in "Ships in Focus" in SAMA colours at Cape Town dated 1975.

Can't win them all :-(

Bob

john fraser
11th January 2011, 16:16
Ahhh

Just when I thought I had dated the photo, I see a photo of her in "Ships in Focus" in SAMA colours at Cape Town dated 1975.

Can't win them all :-(

Bob
Sorry about that Bob.Just checked my Seamans book again and it is 1975. Actually it is a badly written 5. In 10:78 she was sold to Zepconcorde.Inc and became the Globe Express.I couldn,t understand myself why it seemed she was such a short period on Safmarine charter.After Globe Express.I remember seeing her in Rotterdam with the name.Unicer.loaded with heavy earth moving gear.Then she became a cattle carrier.

DAVY F
26th February 2011, 01:56
Hi Bob,

I sailed from Tilbury London to South Africa on the Safmarine charter,this was in May 1977 as I had just joined the company as junior engineer.
The ports of call were Cape Town, Durban, East London and Port Elizabeth.
We had a stowaway on the way back to Tilbury, and he wasn't happy when this was changed at the last minute to Rotterdam.

Cheers

Davy Flaherty (Pint)

krisC
3rd March 2011, 20:09
Aye, Davy

I was 4th eng. on that trip &payed off in Rotterdam.

Chris

roymuir
28th March 2011, 08:35
I joined her toward the end of 1977 and she had just come off the SAF Marine charter. She was then chartered by PSNC and we did the one trip down the west coast of South America and then back to the Far East run. I will have to wait until next week, when I'm on leave, to check my discharge book for dates.
Regards, Roy.