Captain Matheson:- Almerian / City of Leeds

papayanni
19th January 2011, 18:13
My first trip as an Apprentice with E & P was in 1963 under Captain Matheson on the Almerian, renamed City of Leeds for the Borneo run under Bucknall colours. Captain Matheson was a great guy for a first tripper, a good coach, took an interest in study progress, happy to impart knowledge, etc.. He stands out in stark contrast to some of the indifferent and aloof Old Men I sailed under later!

Anyone remember Matheson and knows what became of him?
Tks
Peter Mann

tugman22
19th January 2011, 19:35
My first trip as an Apprentice with E & P was in 1963 under Captain Matheson on the Almerian, renamed City of Leeds for the Borneo run under Bucknall colours. Captain Matheson was a great guy for a first tripper, a good coach, took an interest in study progress, happy to impart knowledge, etc.. He stands out in stark contrast to some of the indifferent and aloof Old Men I sailed under later!

Anyone remember Matheson and knows what became of him?
Tks
Peter Mann

I sailed with a Capt Matheson years ago with Holyhead Towing. This "old man" had been involved in the "Yangtze Incident", had a limp and stole all the chocky biscuits!! Doubt if he was your guy though.

JL

papayanni
1st February 2011, 17:49
Hi JL,
Thanks for this but probably not the same one, probably a bit older and I don't remember a limp!
I've since realised that Matheson seems to have been a common name at sea, so I was asking rather a long-shot question really!
Peter

tugman22
2nd February 2011, 14:24
I thought it wouldn't be him. Good luck with your search.

Venetian
10th November 2011, 21:02
I was the radio officer when the City of Leeds/GJGV first went down to Borneo in 1963, but I'm sorry to say that she was the ex Venetian under capt Willi Brownley. I'm a very fine drawing of her I made in the monsoon in the run back to Aden when I spent many an evenings on the bridge with the mate Brian Middleton. I have cine film taken in the canal with my old ship one of the Orient liners in the Bitter Lakes for company. happy days - my first ship on my own. We had a crew of British Somalies. It was her first trip down to the Far East and as a 19 year old she remains my favourite ship, but boy was I sick! A very fine large model of the Egypian and her sisters is pride of place at the National Sea Training Centre Denton Gravesend. I've some hope of looking after it if it is to be moved for any reason.

I have a Marconi CR300 receiver which is identical to the one I battled with in my attempts to keep in touch with Portishead radio. It was okay for the Med, but once through the canal it was a different story.

Willi has passed away, but his antics with the R N in Aden will live on......

ANDREW JON WILSON
22nd February 2012, 12:34
I was 3rd Mate on City of Leeds in 1964 for a coastal ex London, to Le Havre, Hamburg etc then off at Middlesborough. The master was J. Irvine and the Mate a guy called Liversedge I believe. The trip was the most incredible and eventful i ever spent aboard and many years later I was told our trip went down in the annals of E.P folk law. Anybody out there aboard that coastal ? maybe i should write a short story about it one of these days.

Duncaninfrance
8th March 2012, 16:50
I served on the Almerian when she was on charter to Cunard. She was then the Assyria.

Cpt Matherson was the master and my trip was 16/9/66 - 8/11/66.
London/Rotterdam/Le Havre/Quebec/Montreal/Toronto/Detroit/Chicago/Montreal/Liverpool(?)

I remember having my 17th Birthday in Chicago and enjoying the Whiskey A-Go-Go on Nort Rush when we told the GoGo dancers that we were from Liverpool and new the Beatles(*))

On the way back towards the St.Lawrence the US Pilot was responsible for us hitting a bridge and Cpt.Matherson stopped the ship immediately and threw him off - in the middle of nowhere!
That meant a few days in Montreal while Lloyds assessed things and we had repairs to a large hole in No:4 hold done. Nice nurses in Montreal!!
Trip back was in a Force 10 which kept pace with us all the way which meant no hot food BUT amazing sights...............

ANDREW JON WILSON
9th March 2012, 00:13
Hi Duncan,
Your message got me puzzled. Back in 1963 I was third mate June/August 1963 on the Cunard cargo vessel Assyria. She was in London Docks for quite a bit of this period I seem to recall. I think maybe she then was sold ? Are we talking of the same vessel here ?

Duncaninfrance
9th March 2012, 08:51
Well, as I said, that is what happened in 1966. My Blue Book stamp is;

SS ASSYRIA LIVERPOOL
O.N. 187148
G.R.T.3648.99
N.R.T. 1519.29
N.H.P. 572

The photo was taken on a lay-by birth in the Seaway before my trip.
She was built in 1956 As the Almerian. I think she was sold to Pakistan or some such the trip after I served.
YOUR Assyria must have been the 1950 Cunarder of G.R.T.8638. with Steam Turbines. The Almerian (Assyria) had Combined Steam Reciprocating and Turbines

Hope that clarifies the detail:)

papayanni
28th July 2012, 15:23
Hi Duncan,
Thanks for your interesting information and photo. That's definitely the Almerian of 1956, and your story of the pilot sounds definitely like the Captain Matheson I remember! He had obviously stayed with the Almerian for quite a few years. Do you have any idea which way his career went after that as the Ellerman fleet disintegrated?

(By the way, I count myself lucky to have seen a steam reciprcoating engine on my first trip as late as 1963!).

papayanni
28th July 2012, 15:29
Hello Venetian,

I think you must mean 1964, because Venetian was Venetian during 1963.
I joined her in May '63 as the Venetian and spent the rest of the year on her in the Meddie. my favourite ship, a very happy one.

Cheers
POeter

Duncaninfrance
28th July 2012, 17:01
Afraid I can't add any more to Cpt Matherson's history.
My next (and last) trip was on the Arcadian into the Med with Cpt Jones.
In 1976 I joined Ellerman City Liners as a shipping rep based in Birmingham and sold all the groups services. I stayed in shipping until about 1984 as a rep and then a shipping manager for a company in Halifax.

JMD48
9th August 2012, 12:58
Good day, I sailed on the Salerno June/Oct 1974 as second mate. The vessel was chartered to the Canadians and traded in the Arctic for the summer. Capt Willi Brownlea was master but Capt (Angus?) Matheson relieved him part way through the voyage.
ireverted back to City Line after that voyage and have no knowledge of Capt Matheson's subsequent commands.

Regard

papayanni
24th July 2013, 09:05
I was the radio officer when the City of Leeds/GJGV first went down to Borneo in 1963, but I'm sorry to say that she was the ex Venetian under capt Willi Brownley. I'm a very fine drawing of her I made in the monsoon in the run back to Aden when I spent many an evenings on the bridge with the mate Brian Middleton. I have cine film taken in the canal with my old ship one of the Orient liners in the Bitter Lakes for company. happy days - my first ship on my own. We had a crew of British Somalies. It was her first trip down to the Far East and as a 19 year old she remains my favourite ship, but boy was I sick! A very fine large model of the Egypian and her sisters is pride of place at the National Sea Training Centre Denton Gravesend. I've some hope of looking after it if it is to be moved for any reason.

I have a Marconi CR300 receiver which is identical to the one I battled with in my attempts to keep in touch with Portishead radio. It was okay for the Med, but once through the canal it was a different story.

Willi has passed away, but his antics with the R N in Aden will live on......

Hi Venetian, you wrote a few years ago, but I was wondering if you knew what became of the models of the Egyptian and others? Are they still at Denton?
Cheers
Peter

Venetian
15th August 2013, 21:47
Hello Venetian,

I think you must mean 1964, because Venetian was Venetian during 1963.
I joined her in May '63 as the Venetian and spent the rest of the year on her in the Meddie. my favourite ship, a very happy one.

Cheers
POeter

You are quite correct - 1963 was my first memorable trip around the world on the Orcades/MABA. City of Leeds/GJGV in '64 was a very big change but a voyage that I relate to all who will listen with much amusement and laughs. Willi once said the Radar wasn't working correctly because the colour of the picture had changed..... But we were happy as you say, but rather hotter in the Red Sea than we would have wished. Oh that the fleet now was as it was then- days of adventure!