The G class or Brunei fleet

Archie2009
21st January 2011, 11:37
Just heard that the first of the Brunei fleet of LNG tankers will be heading for a recycling yard in China this year.

Billieboy
21st January 2011, 13:51
They have certainly earned their keep, a little outdated today, but an awful lot has been leared on the old "G" fleet!

Archie2009
10th May 2011, 16:47
The Bekalang (ex - Gadila) was handed over to her Chinese buyers in April and the Belais (ex Gastrana) today.

Ex-Joe
11th May 2011, 07:50
I sailed on Gari, Gadila and Gadinia. I'm surpised that they have lasted this long. Still, Joe has made billions from this contract. Sorry to see them go.

Archie2009
17th May 2011, 11:52
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SS-Belais/184032871646059

loylobby
17th May 2011, 20:20
Thanks for that link Archie2009

James_C
17th May 2011, 20:31
Just had a look on that facebook link and there's a photo there of the final crew onboard at the breakers yard, all sitting out on the deck with so much PPE on that you can hardly recognise them - boots/boilersuits/hard hats (with chinstraps on!)/goggles/gloves etc.
This on an open deck, with a 'warmed up' and gas free ship.
I'm minded to say something along the lines of "the mind boggles", but that's typical of modern day oil companies etc.

One thing's for sure, the Shell Tankers of today is unrecognisable compared to the old Joe Shell as was when they were built - so much change, and a good chunk of it for the worse.

Jim Glover
5th June 2011, 02:58

One of the best Captains that I sailed with.

Jim Glover
Ex Gastrana Gara Third Engineer 1976/77

Manchester
9th June 2011, 19:49
Fully agree Jim. I sailed with Harry on Labiosa in 1976 and Gadinia in 1979.

A fine man and condolences to his family.

John Thompson REO

Mark McShane
10th June 2011, 21:53
all sitting out on the deck with so much PPE on that you can hardly recognise them - boots/boilersuits/hard hats (with chinstraps on!)/goggles/gloves etc.
This on an open deck, with a 'warmed up' and gas free ship.
I'm minded to say something along the lines of "the mind boggles", but that's typical of modern day oil companies etc.

Jim,

You have no idea (Sad)

Mark

marinemec2004
27th August 2012, 05:52
Jim,
I left the merch in 1990. Already the HSE B+lls++t was creeping in.
I also noticed that the personnel were also changing -for the worse not the best. Arrogant , big headed jumped up juniors were coming through ticketed to the top but with no experience , but most hell bent on promotion at any cost! Old traditions were ignored . Even some of the senior officers ( who were youngsters) behaved like this Young Chiefs who hadnt earned their stripes -through "serving their time " working through the ranks. However, if you think this is bad, then try the industry I now work in -the Oil and Gas industry! Steeped in HSE B+lls++t! -Especially offshore on the oil and gas platforms, and who are the worst offenders?? The majors like bp, Shell, bg!!!! You wouldn't believe what one has to go through to 1, get a job, and 2, keep your job!!

thuan van
21st July 2013, 08:55
Hi Joe
Did you sailed on the GADINIA on july 1978.

Bobmac
22nd July 2013, 06:17
oh dear, I was expecting to hear of the Mosquito fleet ships Gina, Geomitra and so on. I was 2nd mate of Geomitra from Curacao to Newcastle in 19 canteen.

Ken Wood
23rd July 2013, 00:04
Thought I was old Bob. I was second mate on Geomitra in 1976, but not the same one! Had my wife with me and had our South China Sea daughter shortly after. A great ship and good company.