M/S Falster

erussellrv
2nd December 2005, 19:04
I am looking for information and/or a picture of the M/S Falster. It was a general cargo ship sailing the Atlantic. I obtained a passage from Newport, Wales to Montreal in August 1966.

In the spirit of nostalgia I was wondering if anybody had some information.

Eric

Gulpers
2nd December 2005, 19:17
I am looking for information and/or a picture of the M/S Falster. It was a general cargo ship sailing the Atlantic. I obtained a passage from Newport, Wales to Montreal in August 1966.

In the spirit of nostalgia I was wondering if anybody had some information.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Could this be her - although this one looks like a bulker rather than general cargo (Thumb) http://kommandobryggan.se/brostrom/falster.htm

erussellrv
2nd December 2005, 22:13
Thanks for trying.
It was a cargo ship rather than a bulk carrier. It was managed in Montreal and the UK by the Federal Commerce & Navigation Company.
I travelled in the owner's cabin at $5.00 a day for food. I think it took from 10 to 14 days for the crossing.

Eric

Patalavaca
10th December 2005, 17:16
Hi Eric,
I am on the case and may get an answer to you in the next day or so....

Regards,
Patalavaca
(Gleam)

Patalavaca
15th December 2005, 00:03
Hi Eric,
this is causing a bit of head scratching here.
There are only two ships named " FALSTER" which we can find:

1) As listed below, by " Gulpers" . Bulk carrier built 1962.
&
2) A motor coaster built by Goole Shipbuilding in 1949, 1,119 g.t & 1,504 dwt.

Neither seem to fit the bill.

Despite enlisting the help of David Hazell, a local expert here in Felixstowe, and searched many Lloyds publications ( registers & Indexes) we are unable to locate her at the moment.

She is NOT in the 1966 Lloyds Register.
One more course of action to take , searching through " Marine News", which may reveal the solution.

Please let me know if there are any other details which you recall that might be helpful or of interest.

Regards,
Patalavaca

erussellrv
15th December 2005, 03:07
Thanks for your continued interest.
Gdynia found this for a private message:
Cargo ship Built: 1962 Tonnage: 11 376 gross.
Owner: Angbats A/Bm Ferm, Sweden.
Source: New Zealand Marine News 1965 Vol. 17 No. 1 Pages 29-30
Title: Port News: Wellington

It seemed like a newish, clean ship. One of the officers' wives travelled on board and she did the vacuuming and cleaning. The ship was spotless and the meals were first class. I sat at the officers' table and everyone was very kind. I had just finished a 3 year's marine electronics training course with Kelvin & Hughes and was on my way home via Montreal for a job in Vancouver as a Marine Electronics Technician.

I'm having a nostalgia experience and am trying to remember or look-up the names of the 4 ships in which I travelled across the Atlantic when I was younger. So... more questions when I locate the names of the 3 others.

Thanks for helping.
Eric

Patalavaca
27th December 2005, 17:21
Eric,
still no progress on "your" Falster.

I have now checked Lloyds Register from 1966 to 1969 as well and cannot find another ship named " Falster".

I strongly suspect that the ship you were on was the Swedish one, as described.

Can you recall what her cargo was, or even, when you joined her was she under cranes or on a quay ???

What nationality were the officers & crew ?

Now officially ( almost ) stumped on this one !!

LOl

Regards,
Patalavaca

(Gleam)