New York 13 January 2011.

EMMESSTEE
22nd January 2011, 12:37
The following site has some stunning images of the three Queens departing New York together 13 January 2011.
http://wearecunard.com/tag/thre-queens-in-new-york/
---------
Mike.

pensioner
22nd January 2011, 19:00
Thought you meant proper Queen's
Rgds

EMMESSTEE
23rd January 2011, 03:34
My apologies, pensioner, if you were disappointed - LOL!!
---------
Mike.

GEORDIE LAD
23rd January 2011, 03:55
A wonderful posting.Thank you......Doug

pensioner
23rd January 2011, 22:26
Not really, I'm not hung that way. I was refering to the shape of these floating Holiday Camps - nothing like the proper Queens or the 600footers I sailed on.
rgds

Jacko123
24th January 2011, 00:28
I once saw 4 queens leaving the Kent Arms. So there!
(good pics emmesstee, Thanks)

Klaatu83
24th January 2011, 00:31
Quite a sight. It was bitter cold and the city was still digging out from the under the last snowfall, but at least the weather stayed clear.

john g
24th January 2011, 13:53
Remarkable pictures and a brilliant publicty stunt but it keeps the Cunard brand up to date. Does any one remember the old Queens coming off the berth without tugs? I seem to remember this happening when I was an engineer on the "Mickey Mouse Boats "

woodend
24th January 2011, 14:42
Thanks very much for posting the excellent pictures. I read about the event but these are the first pictures I have seen. Advertising stunt or not it was certainly spectacular.(Applause)

pensioner
24th January 2011, 21:50
John G
That was in the early 60's when the longshore men or tugs were on strike.
When you were on the 'Mickey Mouse' boats did you know a leckie called Big/Black Jake from Scotland. I was with him, in Liverpool, during the 66 Strike.
Rgds

Gulpers
24th January 2011, 22:41
Thanks for the link Mike.
Whether we prefer the traditional or new Cunarders is irrelevant in this case.
These are magnificent photographs. (Applause)

john g
30th January 2011, 20:45
Hi Pensioner, sorry don't recall the name there were a lot of bods on the "boats" the trips were so short compared with Brocks where I ended up. Maybe I should start a new thread but.....is there any one out there who was on the "Queens" when they pulled off the berth without tugs particularly what went on in in the engine room(s). I heard stories at the time but don't know how true they were .

peter johnston
24th July 2011, 02:23
yes john! i was on the Queen Mary when we docked in New York in 1966 without tugs or longshore men! it during the cuba crisis....under the command of Captain Geoffrey Marr,the next day they called off the strike...well done to the deck hands ...