Northern Star Itinerary 1974

gadgee
3rd December 2005, 17:33
Taken from postal dates information

samarai
12th February 2006, 11:12
I was a passenger on this sailing and this schedule is not the final list of ports. The sailing was plagued by mechanical problems with Melbourne an advertised port before Auckland. Passengers were not informed of the change until after they boarded in Sydney. Acapulco was almost missed when the ship ran out of fresh water - only a passenger revolt made Shaw Savill relent - and Trinidad was never seen. (Cloud)

R58484956
12th February 2006, 11:19
Welcome samarai to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

jim barnes
12th February 2006, 14:10
welcome samarai, keep it coming, give us some profile some of us like to read a little about you (Thumb)

gadgee
12th February 2006, 19:54
Hi Samarai
Hmmm - something amiss here! I was the Star's Third Officer on this voyage. We were only in Melbourne on 16th Dec 1973 on our outward voyage to Aus/NZ with no intention of returning later! I have no recollection of any mechanical problems. I kept a diary of the return voyage and we kept exactly to the dates. As for not seeing Trinidad, I took a photo of Port of Spain from offshore on April 30th 1974. Are you sure of your facts?

I was a passenger on this sailing and this schedule is not the final list of ports. The sailing was plagued by mechanical problems with Melbourne an advertised port before Auckland. Passengers were not informed of the change until after they boarded in Sydney. Acapulco was almost missed when the ship ran out of fresh water - only a passenger revolt made Shaw Savill relent - and Trinidad was never seen. (Cloud)

samarai
17th February 2006, 21:53
I no longer have the itinerary given to us by ShawSavill but I, along with the 8 other passengers I keep in touch with and 2 staff members, was defintely told Melbourne and Trinidad as ports to embark at - not just view from the ship. We also very keenly remember salt water showers/baths and doubts over Acapulco.

DURANGO
3rd September 2009, 12:43
Hi Samarai
Hmmm - something amiss here! I was the Star's Third Officer on this voyage. We were only in Melbourne on 16th Dec 1973 on our outward voyage to Aus/NZ with no intention of returning later! I have no recollection of any mechanical problems. I kept a diary of the return voyage and we kept exactly to the dates. As for not seeing Trinidad, I took a photo of Port of Spain from offshore on April 30th 1974. Are you sure of your facts? You would have sailed with my mother in law who was bathroom stewardess on that voyage her name was Doris Mellidine she has since crossed the bar she was in her from january 1972 until november 1975 best wishes .

NZ JollyJack
26th March 2010, 10:33
I was also a passenger on that trip, Her Last from down under. It was one long party from NZ to the UK.

voyagerx1
10th July 2010, 20:48
Northern Star:
I was on the Xmas Cruise December '72 and the World Cruise from the 6th Of January '73.
WE had boiler problems while crossing the Great Bight, heade for Melbourne but as they didn't have the facilities we docked a day or so later omn a Thursday night, the ships hull was also down to be cleared of mussels, so we, the A/Stewards, were called to load stores on the Friday, being told when we finished we had time ashore untill Monday morning, at 8am. The stewardesses having to be onboard to serve officers meals the whole weekend.... 12:30 we'd finished stores, looking forward to our freetime shoreside in Sydney... I remember also the ship breaking down just off Lord Howe Island. luckily they repaired it before we had to take to the life boats, the 'Star' drifting back onto that barren piece of rock...well done the engineers.......

Xairpert
29th November 2010, 17:46
I was only on the Star for a couple of weeks on standby watch, must have been around Nov 73. My first posting as a Jun eng., I was not that impressed with the engine room. She spent some time in Southampton dry dock being cleaned and painted. I did not sail with her but found this schedule in my loft last week, it may be of interest to some.

Steve

Powertrain
31st October 2011, 20:08
Now I am confused!
On the last trip that Northern Star made from NZ to the UK she broke down after leaving Auckland (off Lord Howe?) and returned to port.
The electrical load had been dropped off the main board and two of the Allen turbo-generators, which had been on 100% load for a long time without the valves being exercised, over-sped. I was the resident Allen engineer based in Auckland and we had to do a 50+ hour shift to get one of the sets re-built and working. Never managed full vacuum so the space was unbearably hot. I sailed with the ship and got off in Tahiti where the Shaw Savill gang-plank was loaded on-board as it was the last time the ships would use the port.
Surely that was the last trip and it took place in 1974?

gadgee
1st November 2011, 16:57
I was only on the Star for a couple of weeks on standby watch, must have been around Nov 73. My first posting as a Jun eng., I was not that impressed with the engine room. She spent some time in Southampton dry dock being cleaned and painted. I did not sail with her but found this schedule in my loft last week, it may be of interest to some.

Steve

Steve
I also have that schedule amongst others in my Shaw Savill memorobilia. I was on cruises 606 to 610, had the last one off and rejoined for the deep sea and Aussi cruising sailing fron Soton 9/11/73 and returning on 10/5/74. Very happy days indeed!!

mcglash
5th November 2011, 08:34
You have it right Powertrain I was working for A&G Price in Auckland around that time and had to work around the clock on her to get her back to sea as quickly as possible. Mike Saunders was Chief Leckie on the Star that trip!

pbeart1
5th November 2011, 15:53
You have it right Powertrain I was working for A&G Price in Auckland around that time and had to work around the clock on her to get her back to sea as quickly as possible. Mike Saunders was Chief Leckie on the Star that trip!

Where is Mike "Shifty" aunders these days? or what happened to him after this trip?. I sailed with Him and would like to contact him.
Paul Beart