RFA myths

George.GM
4th February 2011, 16:50
I remember a few myths that were current in my time in the RFA.
Has anyone details of any of the following ?

The RFA Radio Officer who passed himself off as the Irish ambasador to Israel and was piped aboard a RN aircraft carrier in Haifa.
The crew of an O boat that caught a baby shark, kept it and put it in the swimming pool of the Rock Hotel in Gib.
The RFA Officer that persuaded (by forged circular letter) all the HM ships in Singapore Naval Base to appoint a "Rodent Control Officer"
and submit all rats tails for which they would be paid 10c each.

There are probably many more.

King Ratt
4th February 2011, 17:03
Hi George. I remember the rat scam. Reckon the perpetrator's initials were DFF.
The RO in Haifa was, I believe, one J Mark Sutton.

Pat Thompson
4th February 2011, 18:30
Greetings,

I can just imaging Mark Sutton, "Marcus Sparcus" as he was known in Tidepol doing that, there was never a dull moment with him.

There was also one to do with a special plastic coating for 'Ness Boat Funnels as I remember, something to do with being very expensive and requiring the funnel to be measured personally by the Co and CEO ????

As I write there was also the tale of Yeoman Bungy Gwilliam passing himself off as the Far East fleet Chaplain or the like...... It was all a long time ago.

hillshepherd
5th February 2011, 07:54
Pat, George - plastic or fibreglass funnels for the WAVE class were introduced by Director of Stores Cicular Letter at some time in the 1960's and particularly affected ships in Singapore where, as you say, instructions on measuring were specific. This was because the originator of the letter was in fact the NO of RFA WAVE SOVEREIGN, Second Officer David Freeman. Mentioning sharks and Mark Sutton in the same post reminds me that Mark received the Royal Humane Society Medal for diving overboard and saving a colleague in shark-infested waters. No myth there.
Regards Rex

Purser52
5th February 2011, 10:15
I recall a spoof circular letter "appearing" in Brambleleaf whilst I was there announcing HMY Britannia would be manned by the RFA in future after a spending review and asking for anyone interested to register their interest with the Purser. We had a few come to state their interest!

Mick Spear
5th February 2011, 11:16
I recall a spoof circular letter "appearing" in Brambleleaf whilst I was there announcing HMY Britannia would be manned by the RFA in future after a spending review and asking for anyone interested to register their interest with the Purser. We had a few come to state their interest!

Ha ha! I like that one Purser52. Given me some ideas for next trip.
Mick S

dab
6th February 2011, 10:58
We had a Catering Officer on Tidepool in 1964 who was a "Schizo" and used to dine at the best places and pay by cheque, signing himself as various fictitional titles including "Sir", "M.P.", etc. You get the message. He was eventually found out, and the way he was disposed of was when the Captain and Ch/Eng invited him out for lunch in Gibraltar. However waiting at the bottom of the gangway were two ABs who grabbed him and he was taken to BMH where he was treated. When his personal possessions were being got together they found two pistols, "ammo" and a variety of whips! They also found headed notepaper with fictitional names he used. This is not fiction but fact.
Dave Burns.

trotterdotpom
6th February 2011, 11:09
There have always been these Walter Mitty characters around and they seem to be on the increase! I met several at sea. They seem to end up believing their own stories. Even when it's obvious they're bullsh*tting, nobody wants to challenge them because it's quite embarrassing.

Are RFA ABs permitted to grab people at the bottom of the gangway and take them anywhere? What is BMH?

John T.

Pat Thompson
6th February 2011, 11:24
Greetings,

Don't know about grabbing people at the bottom of the gangway (or anywhere else for that matter).

BMH British Military Hospital, RNH Royal Naval Hospital. In 2000 I had cause to spend a couple of days in RNH Gibraltar. Incredible, it was like going back 50 years even down to the beige decor. All that was lacking was Hattie Jaques as Matron. Incidently I was not "Grabbed" or restrained in any way at the bottom of the gangway en-route to RNH.

King Ratt
6th February 2011, 21:09
Whilst serving in RFA Oleander in 1966 we visited Gib. A request came over the local radio station for anyone who had a certain unusual blood type to get in touch with RNH. I had the group as did our Yeoman of Sigs and the SRO Fred Gravil despatched us off to donate. This is the one and only time I have ever been offered a beer on completion of the "pumpover" - certainly beats a cup of tea hands down. Fred, being teetotal, was not impressed.

Sandy Mitchell
6th February 2011, 22:00
Rab,
They also gave you a beer along with a wee enamel badge showing your blood type when they came out to the ships at anchor in Hong Kong for your blood. They did a roaring trade!
Sandy.

King Ratt
7th February 2011, 13:14
Damnation Sandy. Missed out on that one!