Royal Fleet Auxiliary- Unofficially ???

the brit
15th February 2011, 19:32
Has this site been taken off the web or is it just down for maintenace have not been able to access for two days now says :-

Not Found
The requested URL / was not found on this server

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.rfa.freeuk.com Port 80

anyone else with same message ??
thanks

stonkingjohn
18th February 2011, 20:03
Same response when I tried.

Ian6
18th February 2011, 20:42
Ditto
Ian

the brit
17th May 2011, 19:04
any idea why this site is not available was Mr Sands not in favour with the hierachy of the MOD, this was a wonderful site such a shame it's no longer available.

Marsovin
18th May 2011, 08:29
No need for conspiracy theories. The site is not available because the owner has not paid a fee to the hosting company. The guestbook is still operating here - http://pub28.bravenet.com/guestbook/2403061654/
"Historically, FreeUK provided webspace for customers to use as an additional free service as part of their Dial-up or Broadband connections. According to our records, the Dial-up or Broadband service that this webspace was associated to has now been cancelled and the website is currently offline as a result."

Trevane
4th June 2011, 21:46
A lot of Clan Line's fleet were taken over by the Royal Navy in WW2, presumably as part of the RFA.
I served as an engineer on both Clan McDonald and Lanarkshire in the late
1950s, and am interested in their wartime activity.
Thanks.
Trevane

hillshepherd
5th June 2011, 07:28
Trevane - I can find no record of these two ships ever being taken over as RFA's as such. Three Cameron Class steamers were taken over in building and commissioned as HMS ATHENE, HMS ENGADINE (later to be used as an RFA name) and HMS BONAVENTURE, and CLAN LAMONT saw Pacific service as HMS LAMONT. There are masses of resources on line about Clan Line but the best I have found is a full account by Captain John Bax at http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/clanline5rev.html This covers the wartime history of your two ships.
Regards Hillshepherd

Trevane
6th June 2011, 00:02
Thank you Hillsheperd.
I followed the link you gave and found a lot of fascinating information about Clan Line in wartime including the ships I served on. My recollection is that a number of the senior officers I sailed with, proudly wore two or more rows of campaign ribbons from those dark days. Sometimes they would talk of those days Maybe their tales had gained a little embroidery with time, but were very much in line with the facts in the documents you lead me to. So nice to have found this supporting data.

In the late 1950s Clan Line officers still wore Royal Navy rings on their sleeves, but I believe they were a quarter inch narrower.

Trevane.

hillshepherd
7th June 2011, 09:01
Thank you Hillsheperd.
I followed the link you gave and found a lot of fascinating information about Clan Line in wartime including the ships I served on. My recollection is that a number of the senior officers I sailed with, proudly wore two or more rows of campaign ribbons from those dark days. Sometimes they would talk of those days Maybe their tales had gained a little embroidery with time, but were very much in line with the facts in the documents you lead me to. So nice to have found this supporting data.

In the late 1950s Clan Line officers still wore Royal Navy rings on their sleeves, but I believe they were a quarter inch narrower.

Trevane.

Very glad to be of help, Trevane. Your colleagues with wartime service certainly earned their medals - I see no less than 21 CLAN Line ships have losses listed on the plates at the MN Memorial at Tower Hill, and no doubt there will be others from the Scottish Shire Line. The similarity with naval uniform is often mentioned - there is an interesting item at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/Mariners/2006-04/1145521097 and I see the Scottish Maritime Museum has a Clan Line commodore's uniform in its collection which can be see at http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottishmaritimemuseum/4901413302/in/photostream At first glance the stripes could be seen as a rear admiral's.
Best wishes Hillshepherd