Britannic

Fairfield
12th May 2004, 08:54
Built by Alexander Stephen in Glasgow in 1967,she is moved from her fitting out berth because of a launch taking place across the river in September of that year.

flyer682
28th February 2005, 09:48
In 1974, BRITANNIC became the NZ WAITANGI of the newly formed Shipping Corporation Of New Zealand. Shaw Savill and SCONZ set up a subsidiary Company - New Zealand Line Ltd. - in which SCONZ had 75.1% of the shares and Shaw Savill the remaining 24.9%.
In her early days with the Corporation she had New Zealand Line emblazoned upon her hull in large capital letters, but this seemed to disappear after the first survey! (Thankfully).
The photo shows her at Timaru in April 1980 on what was to be her last voyage for the Corporation.

noel robson
20th July 2007, 16:35
Brittanic Sulzer RD90 main engine.
4-Paxman genys V12 rph-awful.
A very nice ship,sailed on her for 5 years with SS&A
any one else on here remember the Hobart incident.

John Crossland
23rd July 2007, 23:54
Hi Noel,

I was 3'rd Mate in Brittannic 1972, but am unaware of a Hobart Incident.

Please do spill the beans .....

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/5030/012britannictk8.th.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=012britannictk8.jpg)
(c) Victor Young

Cheers,
John

noel robson
24th July 2007, 02:22
Britannic had discharged cargo around the Australian coast and was due to load at Beauty Point and Hobart, we loaded at BP and arrived in Hobart, just across from the port there was a restaurant, a few of the crew tried it and complained about its very high prices for quite ordinary fare, a definite tourist trap.Durring our stay the old man
went there with the shipping agents etc.for a meal and a few drinks and some how he was left to foot the bill and he did not have enough cash on him, explained that he could return to the ship for more funds and return to pay. However the manager was not having that, so they beat him up and took what money he had and through him out. Well the old man(no name supplied)was not having that either so went back onto the ship collected more cash and the pistol from his safe and returned to have it out with the manager, there was another fight and the captain shot the manager not dead but very seriously hurt. Every one not on watch was up town and the first we new that
Something was up was when the local police picked us up and transported us back to the ship and stayed on the ship all night. Maybe thought that we would do something.
We was all told to say nothing to anyone, and it might be better if we stayed on the ship. The ship was sailed home with the mate acting as master forgets his name.
All the top lawyers from Australia where employed and he essentially got off, but was finished at sea. We heard that the manager, a bit of a lad if you get me, died from his wounds although I cannot confirm this. Just to finish this trip off we left without the ships papers and had to go back for them only about two hours out though.
Noel

Shamus
13th December 2007, 16:23
I did two trips on the Britannic from July 1970 to May 1971 as an Engineer cadet.

I remeber very well the Hobart incident!

Vince Scully
1st November 2008, 21:57
In 1974, BRITANNIC became the NZ WAITANGI of the newly formed Shipping Corporation Of New Zealand. Shaw Savill and SCONZ set up a subsidiary Company - New Zealand Line Ltd. - in which SCONZ had 75.1% of the shares and Shaw Savill the remaining 24.9%.
In her early days with the Corporation she had New Zealand Line emblazoned upon her hull in large capital letters, but this seemed to disappear after the first survey! (Thankfully).
The photo shows her at Timaru in April 1980 on what was to be her last voyage for the Corporation.
I spent most of my deck cadetship and first trip as third mate on NZ Waitangi's last voyage. This photo is not of NZ Waitangi. It looks like the Holmdale.

John Crossland
2nd November 2008, 00:21
I spent most of my deck cadetship and first trip as third mate on NZ Waitangi's last voyage. This photo is not of NZ Waitangi. It looks like the Holmdale.

Hi Vince,

Welcome to SN (Thumb)

I don't know where you are looking to see a photo of Holmdale ??? (EEK)

non descript
2nd November 2008, 08:49

Oh I have worked it out..... goodness I must be slow, because I have been looking at this for ages trying to work out the slip-up (EEK) .

The "photo" is the avatar of flyer682 and is merely the image he uses in the same way that I use the two flags as my avatar.

The photo that he actually added is of course the Brittannic.

On your first posting may I say a warm welcome to you and I hope you enjoy the Site.
(Thumb)

John Crossland
2nd November 2008, 10:14
Ahhhhh I get it now.
Good deduction Mark (Thumb)

ferrandou
12th April 2009, 19:14
I was on the Britannic that voyage, the mates name was John Seidler

Butters
13th April 2009, 06:21
Regarding the South America incident . I sailed with Mike Culley in Union Co.,
who once told me that he took either 'MEDIC', or 'MEGANTIC', back from South America as Acting Master after his predecessor had been shot and I think it was a Captain Williams . It is about 35 years ago since he showed me a newspaper cutting about this incident but it is one thing that has stuck in the grey matter.

Butters

ferrandou
13th April 2009, 09:39
The mate's name was John Seidler and ironically the restaurant was oeiginally the old gaol for transportees.

Bob Hollis

Britannic had discharged cargo around the Australian coast and was due to load at Beauty Point and Hobart, we loaded at BP and arrived in Hobart, just across from the port there was a restaurant, a few of the crew tried it and complained about its very high prices for quite ordinary fare, a definite tourist trap.Durring our stay the old man
went there with the shipping agents etc.for a meal and a few drinks and some how he was left to foot the bill and he did not have enough cash on him, explained that he could return to the ship for more funds and return to pay. However the manager was not having that, so they beat him up and took what money he had and through him out. Well the old man(no name supplied)was not having that either so went back onto the ship collected more cash and the pistol from his safe and returned to have it out with the manager, there was another fight and the captain shot the manager not dead but very seriously hurt. Every one not on watch was up town and the first we new that
Something was up was when the local police picked us up and transported us back to the ship and stayed on the ship all night. Maybe thought that we would do something.
We was all told to say nothing to anyone, and it might be better if we stayed on the ship. The ship was sailed home with the mate acting as master forgets his name.
All the top lawyers from Australia where employed and he essentially got off, but was finished at sea. We heard that the manager, a bit of a lad if you get me, died from his wounds although I cannot confirm this. Just to finish this trip off we left without the ships papers and had to go back for them only about two hours out though.
Noel

grant1
26th April 2009, 10:26
Was on Majestic maiden voyage, Feb 1967 .The captain was J Williams,and I am pretty sure the mate was John Seidler,one of the best 1st officers I have ever sailed with. Thanks to ferrandu for nudging my memory.

Malcolm S
6th May 2009, 19:20
Noel

I am a bit late on this but only just noticed this posting. I was on the Britannic doing a coastal at the time. I had left the Saracen and was working my passage home. I flew from Hobart the day it happened and only heard about it after I had joined the Norther Star in Melbourne.
Hobart was a good run shore, as I recall the night before some of us had been out for a drink or two (as one does) and one of us - not me - fell through a shop window, we of course bolted and later while walking back to the ship completely lost were picked up by a cruising police car, the two police turned out to be Brits on assignment and gladly showed us some of the scenic sights before we all came on board for a few more drinks.
Malcolm

mickris
4th December 2011, 15:54
Here's a photo of the galley staff and Chief Steward on Brittanics maiden voyage.
Tony (Chief Cook) Gorden ex RN (2nd Cook and Baker) and myself Mick ( Galley Boy and first trip to sea aged 16yrs)

Malcolm S
6th December 2011, 01:56
I was on my way home from the Saracen and SSL had me do an Aussie coastal on the Britannic before joining the Northern Star for passage back to the UK. I left the Britannic in Hobart the day that happened and I heard they tried to get me back but too late as I was in the air flying to Melbourne for the NS.
The Captain I believe ran a pub in Dorset or Devon after this event.
The Mate was John Seidler, 2nd Mate R. Mimmack and Chris Jenman.
Chris kindly passed over his uniforms so I had something to wear on the NS.
Rgds
Malcolm

Noel

Brian Brown
8th June 2013, 15:17
I did two trips on the Britannic from July 1970 to May 1971 as an Engineer cadet.

I remeber very well the Hobart incident!

Hi Shamus

I also joined the Britannic July '70 as 2nd Eng leaving in Auckland where I joined the Amalric. Do you recall the near collision between these 2 ships in Auckland...the infamous "dragging the anchor incident" thankfully (no names mentioned) one of the vessels was able to maneuver out of harms way.

Happy days
Brian (Joe) Brown

ferrandou
9th June 2013, 11:16
Hi Shamus

I also joined the Britannic July '70 as 2nd Eng leaving in Auckland where I joined the Amalric. Do you recall the near collision between these 2 ships in Auckland...the infamous "dragging the anchor incident" thankfully (no names mentioned) one of the vessels was able to maneuver out of harms way.

Happy days
Brian (Joe) Brown

Yes, we were both at anchor behind Rangitoto Island waiting to discharge a cargo of explosives and a gale blew up. It was the Amalric which was dragging her hook. At first we (Britannic) paid out more cable but Amalric kept coming so engine saved a potential big bang.[=D]

Malcolm S
9th June 2013, 17:11
I was on board doing a coastal as an extra 2nd Mate around Australia that trip. I had just signed off the Saracen. I left the day that happened and flew to Fremantle to join the Northern Star to work my passage home. I heard later they had tried to get me back to make up the Bridge team numbers, but failed. I also understand the Captain involved ended up running a pub somewhere in Devon or Somerset.
That was not the only incedent in Hobart bringing the police on board but not so serious!

Malcolm

Noel

Rogerfrench
9th June 2013, 19:13
Funny, when I read "Britannic" I immediately thought of the old White Star liner that I remember seeing in Liverpool when I was a Cadet. I'll bet a few others did too!
http://www.thegreatoceanliners.com/britannic3.html

Brian Brown
10th June 2013, 13:35
Hi Shamus

The
Happy days
Brian (Joe) Brown

Thanks for your reply and obvious interest:
More interesting info re above...

Being in the Britannic's engine control room with the C/Eng on this occasion Bridge initiated main engine movement(s) were noted.
Quoting Captain Charlie Beck's radio telephone conversation with local press that night...
"...The wind gusted up to 57 or 58 miles an hour and before you could say Jack Robinson the anchor dragged...we steamed back to where we were...
An observer aboard Amalric stated ..."...the Britannic's stern swung across the Amalric's bow at an amazing speed...this might have been because the Britannic was being maneuvered under power at the time.
There is a further reference also drawn from a press cutting of the day..."Captain Carter (Auckland Harbourmaster) said it was probably the combination of a high flood tide and strong winds which caused the Britannic to move..."
Almost like reliving the occasion...
Cheers and all the best
Brian (Joe) Brown

ferrandou
10th June 2013, 20:15
Yes, we were both at anchor behind Rangitoto Island waiting to discharge a cargo of explosives and a gale blew up. It was the Amalric which was dragging her hook. At first we (Britannic) paid out more cable but Amalric kept coming so engine saved a potential big bang.[=D]

I know this as I was the person on the wheel of Britannic.

Shamus
29th July 2013, 18:31
I just got around to reading the latests post on this thread.

Yes I remember vey well the incident with the Amalric dragging it's anchor. If I remember correctly we were sitting in the dinning room when we had to move quickly.

I think that this is a picture of the Amalric which I took from the Britannic as we were at anchor in Auckland harbour waiting to unload the explosives when the weather was better.

Shamus
29th July 2013, 18:36
Coming back to the Hobart incident. Here is a picture of the Britannic while we were in Hobart at the time of the incident.

I have few other pictures of the Britannic all taken around 1970/71 if anyone is interested.

ferrandou
30th July 2013, 18:43
Coming back to the Hobart incident. Here is a picture of the Britannic while we were in Hobart at the time of the incident.

I have few other pictures of the Britannic all taken around 1970/71 if anyone is interested.

Yes Please, good photo' of Her in Hobart. Do you remember a greaser from Deal, Bob Murray? Also the fourth engineer, he was from Glasgow and name George ?, I believe he had been one of the engineers installing the engine and decided he would love to sail on her.

Shamus
31st July 2013, 09:10
Yes I remember Bob Murray. I remember George very well. His second name escapes me for now. He got married while we were in Glasgow prior to us departing for Australia which was my second trip on the Britannic in 1971.

I will prepare the pictures I have an let you know where you can access them in the next few days.

Brian Brown
31st July 2013, 13:33

I would certainly like to see further photographs of the Britannic and congratulations on this 'slide' it is one of the best I have seen of any SS & A Fleet vessels
Regards
Brian (Joe) Brown

Shamus
31st July 2013, 17:31
Hello Brian,

I can still remember my first day on the Britannic in 1970 when I joined in London. It was you who gave me and the other engineer cadet our very first task. As this was the the first ship we had ever sailed on, you asked us to trace the bilge system and draw up a diagram of it!