Northern Star

david smith
25th October 2005, 16:23
The 1962 built Northern Star off Port Of Spain, Trinidad.
24,731gt when built

Pompeyfan
26th October 2005, 21:50
I spent 6 very happy weeks on Northern Star as a passenger when I emigrated to New Zealand in 1968. This was before I joined P&O as crew three years later. I knew the senior chippy Ray Dyer, also from the Isle of Wight. David Cole

herbie
5th September 2006, 12:20
Sailed on Northern Star on what I think was her last cruise, We docked in Southampton( i think ) on about Nov 2 1975 having been to Lisbon,Madeirra and the Canaries, I was only 10 and with my late parents and Dads sixth form students

TOM FOX
19th November 2006, 17:57
I Am Looking For Any One With Infomation Or Photos Of The Inside Of The Northern Star I Am Particully Interested In The Bar Area Of The Vessel. Or Any Info Of The Decor Anyone Might Have.
Tom Fox

bobk
7th February 2010, 08:22
I was on the Northern Star, Australia to UK arriving Southampton April 1965.
I would like to know the fare for the trip in a 6 birth cabin, I think it may have been around the 200-250 Australian pounds, can someone give me the correct fare. Would like to hear from anyone who was on the same voyage, they sure were good times.

british hazel
7th February 2010, 17:20
Hello There ...

Nice to hear you were on the "Northern Star"... I was also on this vessel but as a crew member, I worked in the Bakery on board as Third Baker, but my time was a couple of years later... I sailed on her from Southampton on the 25th of October 1968 to 13th of January 1969... with regards to the price of the voyage, I am sorry I cannot help you there, But I hope you get the information which you require...

All The Best...

Dave McConnachy...

I would like to know the fare for the trip in a 6 birth cabin, I think it may have been around the 200-250 Australian pounds, can someone give me the correct fare. Would like to hear from anyone who was on the same voyage, they sure were good times.

Pompeyfan
7th February 2010, 23:16
Hello There ...

Nice to hear you were on the "Northern Star"... I was also on this vessel but as a crew member, I worked in the Bakery on board as Third Baker, but my time was a couple of years later... I sailed on her from Southampton on the 25th of October 1968 to 13th of January 1969... with regards to the price of the voyage, I am sorry I cannot help you there, But I hope you get the information which you require...

All The Best...

Dave McConnachy...

Dave

That is amazing. I emigrated on Northern Star leaving Southampton on 28th October 1968. You must have joined on the 25th?.

You will see a full day by day in SN sister site the Cruise Forum which I have recently posted. I did the same here on SN, but the Cruise Forum log is much more detailed with pictures. Did you know the Chief Carpenter Ray Dyer?.

As to the question asked by Bobk, I paid 249 single fare for the Africa route to Auckland in October. I actually disembarked in Wellington due to be late, so she did not call at Auckland. Please read my full daily log in the Cruise forum. http://www.thecruisingforum.com/index.php

Look under Passenger Ship Emigration Research and you will find My Emigration From the UK to New Zealand aboard Northern Star in 1968.

David

british hazel
8th February 2010, 00:58
"Hello There David"...

Well,Well, isn,t it a small world,... Fancy being on the "Northern Star" at the same time... Yes I did join the ship on the 25th of October... as Third Baker, Did you manage to visit the galley,... they allowed people to walk around to see where they prepared their meals etc.... there wasn,t many that came into the bakery...

I have read all about the begining of your trip, excellent David...Yes I do recall it was a little choppy through Biscay... Good that you never suffered like your mates did... Mind there is nothing worse than getting sea sickness, and to have someone standing there eating a nice bacon butty, is torture...

Sorry David I didn,t know the Chief Carpenter, we were always pretty busy in the Bakery, so we never had much time to wander around... there was always plenty of work for us to occupy our minds...

One part of the trip which I enjoyed was going through the panama canal... That was a fascinating part of the trip... on the return journey we saw an American Aircraft Carrier go through, the overhang from the flight deck was an amazing sight...

Anyway David I will look out for more revelations concerning your trip, just to think you were eating our bread and rolls... You didn,t get a bad stomach did you...Only joking...

Take Care For Now,

All The Best,

Dave McConnachy...

Dave

That is amazing. I emigrated on Northern Star leaving Southampton on 28th October 1968. You must have joined on the 25th?.

You will see a full day by day in SN sister site the Cruise Forum which I have recently posted. I did the same here on SN, but the Cruise Forum log is much more detailed with pictures. Did you know the Chief Carpenter Ray Dyer?.

As to the question asked by Bobk, I paid 249 single fare for the Africa route to Auckland in October. I actually disembarked in Wellington due to be late, so she did not call at Auckland. Please read my full daily log in the Cruise forum. http://www.thecruisingforum.com/index.php

Look under Passenger Ship Emigration Research and you will find My Emigration From the UK to New Zealand aboard Northern Star in 1968.

David

Pompeyfan
8th February 2010, 22:29
"Hello There David"...

Well,Well, isn,t it a small world,... Fancy being on the "Northern Star" at the same time... Yes I did join the ship on the 25th of October... as Third Baker, Did you manage to visit the galley,... they allowed people to walk around to see where they prepared their meals etc.... there wasn,t many that came into the bakery...

I have read all about the begining of your trip, excellent David...Yes I do recall it was a little choppy through Biscay... Good that you never suffered like your mates did... Mind there is nothing worse than getting sea sickness, and to have someone standing there eating a nice bacon butty, is torture...

Sorry David I didn,t know the Chief Carpenter, we were always pretty busy in the Bakery, so we never had much time to wander around... there was always plenty of work for us to occupy our minds...

One part of the trip which I enjoyed was going through the panama canal... That was a fascinating part of the trip... on the return journey we saw an American Aircraft Carrier go through, the overhang from the flight deck was an amazing sight...

Anyway David I will look out for more revelations concerning your trip, just to think you were eating our bread and rolls... You didn,t get a bad stomach did you...Only joking...

Take Care For Now,

All The Best,

Dave McConnachy...

Hi Dave

Yes, we did go into the galley, I spoke about it in my log, and was not too impressed, but never got a bad tummy. I never missed a single meal. Can't remember the rolls?!. When we reached Fremantle Oriana was in, leaving just before us. The Old Man was D.T. Mouldey. Purser R.D. Oliver, Catering Officer S.L. Browne, staff Catering Officer E. Murphy. It does not say who the chef was.

David

john strange
1st May 2010, 07:16

Fare from U.K. to Oz at that time about 240 stirling. U.K., pound at that time was worth about one pound two shillings and sixpence, so would think the fare from Oz would have been nearer to 300.

Pompeyfan
3rd May 2010, 12:56
I have posted a thread about emigrating on Northern Star, but I am going to do it again because in SN sister site the Cruising Forum I wrote the whole thing again from my diary adding a lot more in which include ships we saw en-route not in the original and photographs. There could well be some ships mentioned that SN members sailed on or aboard at the time.

David

bobk
24th February 2011, 13:22
Thanks for the replies re fare on Northern Star, Melbourne to Southampton 1965. Must be someone out there who was on that trip bobk

bobk
24th February 2011, 13:30
Northern Star, Melbourne to Southampton march/april1965,
anyone out there that was on this trip

John.H.Clark
28th February 2011, 09:07
I did two trips on Athenic, UK to NZ in 1961, she was called first class only and fares started at 300 for the 30 day voyage
John

GWB
28th February 2011, 10:07
I read recently the Southern Cross, and Northern Star were designed to carry passenger, at a cost of twopence-halfpenny per mile which was cheaper than a bus or the underground in London.
I dought the Star did as she was never the shp her sister was.

David Stockham
20th April 2011, 06:52
I was one of the ships photographers 1968-1970,17years old when I started with Med cruises then round the world three times,transferred to Aranda for a fourth round the world in Nov 1970.Where did those 41 years go,anyone remember those trips?

brandane
6th September 2011, 08:22
Hi David

I recall these days very well but not on Aranda - I served on Arawa - three voyages in 1970 and on Southern Cross in 1969 and 1971, then to Northern Star when the Cross finished. I knew a few of the Transocean photographers - including Mike Barlett from Southern Cross and Dougie Vaughan on the Star. I am somewhat surprised that you have not posted many photos of your sea going days on this website as you must have many good photos of Aranda, and other Shaw Savill ships. Best days of my life - the few years I spent with Shaw Savill 1967-1973 and today still talk about these great days. Not surprising you enter airline industry as I did in 1973 till I retired last year 2010.
Cheers Jamie

David Stockham
6th September 2011, 21:01
Hello Jamie.
I worked with Fritz Birchtold on the Star and alone on Aranda but I met Mike Bartlett a couple of times.I went on to work for Jalcruise cruising out of US ports.been here ever since.Best days of my life too,retired last year and hope to teach in a new flight school opening here later this year.
Regards.
Dave.

brandane
14th September 2011, 11:28
Hi Dave

Yes, I remember Fritz too ~ in fact he also lives in Sydney, as does Mike Bartlett. Fritz attended one of our Shaw Savill reunions in Sydney a few years ago and offered his services free for our members. Have now lost touch Mike and Fritz as the Shaw Savill Society closed down in Australia. Do you recall an assistant purser on Aranda by name of Derek Pell? We sailed together on Southern Cross in 1971 ~ Derek went on to be assistant purser on Ocean Monarch. Some years later when all the passenger ships had finished, Derek joined Air New Zealand ~ not knowing that I worked with them for 3 years before he join. Small world to work with same guy twice worlds apart and in same capacity as Airline Customer Services.
Wish you well with your flight training school.
Cheers Jamie

roy barker
12th February 2013, 15:40
Hi David

I recall these days very well but not on Aranda - I served on Arawa - three voyages in 1970 and on Southern Cross in 1969 and 1971, then to Northern Star when the Cross finished. I knew a few of the Transocean photographers - including Mike Barlett from Southern Cross and Dougie Vaughan on the Star. I am somewhat surprised that you have not posted many photos of your sea going days on this website as you must have many good photos of Aranda, and other Shaw Savill ships. Best days of my life - the few years I spent with Shaw Savill 1967-1973 and today still talk about these great days. Not surprising you enter airline industry as I did in 1973 till I retired last year 2010.
Cheers Jamie
hi i was on the southern cross the last 3years til she was laid up in southhamton then joined the northern star for about 2 years i was laundry manager do you remember eddie christy shop manger i heard he went out to aussie and died i met up with kevin who worked in the shop a few years ago but lost touch had some good times on the cross tony

David Stockham
12th February 2013, 18:11
hi i was on the southern cross the last 3years til she was laid up in southhamton then joined the northern star for about 2 years i was laundry manager do you remember eddie christy shop manger i heard he went out to aussie and died i met up with kevin who worked in the shop a few years ago but lost touch had some good times on the cross tony
Hello Jamie.
I remember Mike Bartlett, when I joined NS in 1969 we cruised the Med. I then went on to three round the world trips on NS with the German photog Fritz Berchtold then one as the only photog on Aranda. I will dig out some photos. I retired to Las Vegas in 2010 from United Express.
Dave,

kauvaka
12th February 2013, 23:39
Does anyone remember the Masters at Arms on the Southern Cross and Northern Star, they were hard men and had to be, mostly ex Brigade of Guards I think.

adamgullidge
4th December 2013, 22:21
My father John Gullidge was a waiter on the Northern Star, I'm not sure the exact dates but it was between 1967-1969. He sadly passed away in 1992 from a heart attack. I have a ton of his photos from his cruising years. If anyone remembers him I would love to hear some stories. email me adamgullidge@yahoo.co.uk

adamgullidge
4th December 2013, 22:31
Anyone know who these guys are?

yogi t
1st August 2014, 13:21
Northern Star, Melbourne to Southampton march/april1965,
anyone out there that was on this trip

I was deck cadet on her that voyage, my fourth and last.Then did a trip on Gothic to finish my time and then 2nd mates.
I recall that that the forward lounge was a mess with all these bodies asleep on settees with curtains draped over them on the morning of arrival at Southampton.

Regards
John Taylor

ben27
3rd August 2014, 01:44
good day britich hazel,m,8th feb,2010.02:20.#6 re:"northern star"i have been reading this old thread.i noticed you were a baker,did you know ken bain,he was a master baker.thanks in advance.regards ben27

brandane
10th August 2014, 03:18
Hi Roy (or is it Tony)
Sorry have not seen your message before now ~ have replied by email to you.
If you have a look at my photos (Brandane) you will see some photos of the Cross and Star ~ including a very nice model of Southern Cross which I have in my collection.
I am sure you will remember me from the photos taken on both ships.
Both Eddie & Kevin are very much alive and members of the Shaw Savill Society ~ if you are interested in joining the group ~ please let me know your personal email. Next UK Reunion is in Southampton in March 2015 and in Napier, NZ in April 2016.
I am sure Eddie would love to see you again,
Cheers Jamie (ex asst Purser)

adrianvare
10th August 2014, 14:47
Bloody hell ...I was on her then ....In charge of all the pots and pans ....run crown & anchor in Pig

brandane
11th August 2014, 00:35
Hi Adrian

Great to know you are on Cross same time as me ~ sorry I cant place you as not often in the galley ~ but regular visitor to the Pig to pay out subs ~ so you may recall me. Loved the atmosphere in the Pig ~ and wished I could have joined the boys for a beer more regularly but usually only there on invite to Sods Opera.
Joined the Cross Dec 1967 ~ 68 & 69 and last 3 voyages 1971.
Cheers Jamie ~ the purser

BobGrif
15th August 2014, 22:18
Hi Adrian

Great to know you are on Cross same time as me ~ sorry I cant place you as not often in the galley ~ but regular visitor to the Pig to pay out subs ~ so you may recall me. Loved the atmosphere in the Pig ~ and wished I could have joined the boys for a beer more regularly but usually only there on invite to Sods Opera.
Joined the Cross Dec 1967 ~ 68 & 69 and last 3 voyages 1971.
Cheers Jamie ~ the purser

Talking about the 'Pig and Whistle' were you there when the bar and piano burnt out to the back bulkhead/bunker tanks on the homeward trip to the UK after the first ever SS&A 'cruise'/charter out (Sydney/Brisbane to Japan, via other exotic places, etc)? Now that could have been a disaster .. but not for a ship like SX that had a certain inner spirit only common to certain ships that just go on and on without too many problems.

brandane
25th August 2014, 01:01
Hi Bob

Yes I was on that trip ~ when the Lions of Australia and NZ chartered the ship to visit the Lions Convention in Tokyo ~ but I do not recall the fire in the Pig on the way home.
Think you must be the only person I have made contact who sailed on that trip to the Far East in 1969.
Many happy memories of Southern Cross,
Cheers Jamie

GWB
25th August 2014, 02:25
I did my first Genny watch on her in Southampton in 1963 with only the one genny running (alternator) the other was stripped down. Thankfully i was sent to the Cross a better boat.

BobGrif
25th August 2014, 10:22
Hi Jamie, pretty sure it was that trip on the way home after the Japan escapade ... but time fades the memory. The much respected and loved,Willie Newport, was the old man so it must have been that trip or the one immediately before it because he had a voyage off after the Japan trip when Wheatley came over from PSNC (or wherever they all swarmed in from!!) on his first SS&A command. It happened about 2 am!!

Recently when turning out stuff I found a file in the roof with every 'Daily Newsletter' (or whatever it was called) issued by you guys for passenger info of what was on for the day and where we were, all together with a shed load of other SS&A stuff like menus from SX and Gothic. I continually promise to pass it all on to Graham and must do it soon!! Best to all, Bob

brandane
31st August 2014, 01:10
Hi Bob ~ your memory may serve you better than mine ~ but if fire incident occurred at 2am ~ can assure you I would be doing the 1am to 7am zizz duty ~ and being a purser would not necessarily hear of incidents in the Pig. I do have fond memories of wee Willie ~ as I was always late for work in the office ~ I usually leapt down the companionway from the bridge (pilots cabin) to lower decks ~ one morn Willie caught me ~ and said " walk ~ dont run, laddie". His granny lived half mile from my home at Ardbeg, Isle of Bute ~ and he always reminded me of his Scottish heritage.
Have fond memories of Walter too !
Cheers Jamie

brandane
31st August 2014, 01:20
Bob ~ in your collection of memorabilia ~ do you have copy of the Japan cruise booklet featuring nice photo of Southern Cross? If you are disposing your collection to Graham ~ I would dearly like a copy of that booklet which is missing from my archive collection. I ~ am custodian of much of the NZ archive collection ~ as sadly maritime museums have no interest in this material now. You maybe aware that Graham has downsized and moved to be closer to "Howards Way"

BobGrif
1st September 2014, 21:24
Bob ~ in your collection of memorabilia ~ do you have copy of the Japan cruise booklet featuring nice photo of Southern Cross? If you are disposing your collection to Graham ~ I would dearly like a copy of that booklet which is missing from my archive collection. I ~ am custodian of much of the NZ archive collection ~ as sadly maritime museums have no interest in this material now. You maybe aware that Graham has downsized and moved to be closer to "Howards Way"

As this is a N Star thread I have sent u a PM :)