Real Photographs Ltd and John Callis

Roger Jordan
1st March 2011, 11:56
The transport photography firm of Real Photographs Ltd, originally of Broadstairs, Kent, and later of Southport, Lancashire, apparently sold its railways and maritime negative archives to Ian Allan Ltd in the later 1960s or earlier 1970s. I understand that both of these archives were subsequently disposed of by Ian Allan, and I would be grateful to hear from any member of this forum who is aware of the current location of the Real Photographs maritime negative archive. I am also trying to locate the owner of the John Callis negative archive. John, as many will know, was a Trinity House employee and took thousands of very good photographs of vessels underway, particularly in the Dover Strait. He died a few years ago.
Any pointers in respect of the above would be appreciated.
Regards
Roger Jordan

Hugh Ferguson
1st March 2011, 16:19
Here are a couple of John Callis's photographs-he was a friend of ours.
Left: Glenroy passing South Goodwin L/S
Right: My wife when she was coastguarding with John.

andysk
1st March 2011, 21:44
The transport photography firm of Real Photographs Ltd, originally of Broadstairs, Kent, and later of Southport, Lancashire, apparently sold its railways and maritime negative archives to Ian Allan Ltd in the later 1960s or earlier 1970s. I understand that both of these archives were subsequently disposed of by Ian Allan, and I would be grateful to hear from any member of this forum who is aware of the current location of the Real Photographs maritime negative archive. I am also trying to locate the owner of the John Callis negative archive. John, as many will know, was a Trinity House employee and took thousands of very good photographs of vessels underway, particularly in the Dover Strait. He died a few years ago.
Any pointers in respect of the above would be appreciated.
Regards
Roger Jordan

Hi Roger

Have you tried contacting John (Ships in Focus Record) Clarkson in Preston ?

My guess is that if anybody knows, he is the most likely ...

Fancy IA doing the dirty like that ....

Good Hunting

Cheers

Andy

Hugh Ferguson
2nd March 2011, 15:52
Click HERE (www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/45467/title/glenroy/cat/500) Roger, one of the comments may assist.

Roger Bentley
12th March 2011, 12:04
Has anyone information about a firm called Pamlin Prints of Croydon, I recently bought a selection of postcard size phots from Oxfam and they are all credited to this firm with various dates and of course the copyright symbol, the subjects range from ss Umbria c 1890, a three funneled Strathnaver c 1931, Isle of Wight Paddlesteamer ss Shanklin - the prints were obviously in series using the letter SM followed by three figure numbers beginning always with the figure 6. e.g. 613 618 etc.

andysk
14th March 2011, 14:00
Has anyone information about a firm called Pamlin Prints of Croydon, I recently bought a selection of postcard size phots from Oxfam and they are all credited to this firm with various dates and of course the copyright symbol, the subjects range from ss Umbria c 1890, a three funneled Strathnaver c 1931, Isle of Wight Paddlesteamer ss Shanklin - the prints were obviously in series using the letter SM followed by three figure numbers beginning always with the figure 6. e.g. 613 618 etc.

Roger,

These used to be available from Lens of Sutton who was at Westmead Road for many years, but I don't know if the current owners of the LoS archive, the Lens of Sutton Association, have the Pamlin prints as well as the LoS originals.

Take a look at the LoSA section of this site : http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lensofsutton.htm

Good hunting !

Cheers

Andy

Roger Bentley
14th March 2011, 16:54
Andy, Many thanks for the information. Regards, Roger