Ships Log.

ray morgan
1st March 2011, 12:59
After a Ship finished a voyage,were did the Ships Log of that actual voyage go.

Landlubber
1st March 2011, 13:16
In most companies that I worked for the carbon copies were removed and sent to the company offices. The original remained on board.

ray morgan
1st March 2011, 13:19
Hi Landlubber,But were did the actual log end up.

trotterdotpom
1st March 2011, 13:31
In most companies that I worked for the carbon copies were removed and sent to the company offices. The original remained on board.

Were there carbon copies of logbooks? I thought the whole box and dice was handed to the Shipping Master at the end of Articles and kept .... somewhere. Probably a lot of them ended up in Newfoundland with all our records.

John T.

ray morgan
1st March 2011, 14:00
Why I ask I always imagined them ,in a skip at the back of Threadneedle St, or somewhere ,when the company's finished,Surplus to Requirements.

Ron Dean
1st March 2011, 14:48
I'd be interested to know whether nowadays, log entries are made or backed up by computer.

Billieboy
1st March 2011, 15:23

With the possible exception of a death on board. Under English Law, the official logbook entry by the Master was the official note/certificate of death, the logbook would be landed to the Consul or Shipping Master(UK), and then transferred to national archive as proof of demise of the person. This was the rule up to about 1980, whether it's still the case, I don't know.

Landlubber
1st March 2011, 19:55
I understood that it was the Deck Log you were talking about. If you meant the Official Log then I think that was sent to the MMO.

Landlubber
1st March 2011, 20:01
The original copies of the deck log would often be found in a cupboard under the chart table. On one ship I sailed on, in the mid-seventies, all the logs back to voyage one were found in this location. The second mate and I wanted to search for details of an earlier second mate who had reportedly commited suicide on about voyage two about 20 years earlier and was the subject of ghost stories.
We were able to verify the story.

david freeman
2nd March 2011, 08:50
I Believe the Maritime Museum Greenwich has copies of articles,official log entries, for the year ending in 0 and 5. The remaining copies are held in The Newfoundland memorial Museum in Canada for all other years. If costs you but some of the voyages where you thought one thing-the log book has another cryptic and oblique entry. It isnot cheap about 50 per article if you can remember the ship Off No and the voyage Date? The working, eng room, radio and deck logs most likely have since long gone. So only the official story remains!!!! Good Hunting

kernewekmarnor
3rd March 2011, 18:42
From a serving Master of a UK Flag ship; Our Official Log Book when completed is held onboard for inspection during Flag State inspection.
It can at any time be requested by either the MCA or Register of Shipping.
Our Bridge Log Book is copied monthly to Marine Supt ashore and top copies held onboard for 2 years - this is a company policy.
Hopefully this info is of some use to you.