Looking For

Waighty
7th March 2011, 11:12
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jim Lough; deck cadet 1966 to 1969, then ashore in chartering dept for Texaco in London, then back to Ben Line as AB, then to Seaforth working out of Aberdeen, then I know not. He belonged to Eyemouth. Last contact with him 1985 in an Aberdeen bar! All help gratefully received.

EBenarty
12th March 2011, 19:28
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jim Lough; deck cadet 1966 to 1969, then ashore in chartering dept for Texaco in London, then back to Ben Line as AB, then to Seaforth working out of Aberdeen, then I know not. He belonged to Eyemouth. Last contact with him 1985 in an Aberdeen bar! All help gratefully received.

Hi Waghty
Knew Jim well in Ben Line and we were at King Teds together in1968. I met him a few times when I was in Seaforth but have not seen him since the mid 80s. Jockey Lindsay frequents this site and may know of his where abouts. I believe Jocky who is also from Eyemouth is now in Canada.
Billy

Eltel
17th March 2011, 16:11

Last saw Jim on Far Scotsman in September 1991.

ian keyl
19th March 2011, 16:50
Hi there Benarty and Waighty,
Jocky Lindsay is in Houston working for American ports,I have been in contact with him late last year and asked him to join the club, I have just been to a Ben reunion in Edinburgh last night,its not a general one but just old office staff and some sea going members. Archie Watters was telling me that Capt Auzzie Tucker crossed the bar late last year i think.

On my way back to Leeds I dropped into Duns to see Mike Hudson who was one of the senior chief electricians, MIke has retired having had an electrical contractors business in Duns for many years. He was talking about Jocky and also Peter Edgar who were both from Eyemouth and there was always a great banter between the Eyemouth lads and those from Duns .Jocky and Peter took the p--s out of Mike .
Mike said he had met an ex Engr cadet who had moved into the post office in Duns and I thin he is on this site ,Mike saidhe would join and try to remember times,

He told me of one when JC Harvey was on the Cruchan coming up the river into London, JC was on the wing of the bridge and said to the pilot do you smell burning , to which the answer from the pilot was Oh no capt you always get that smell there is a saw mill on the south shore and it always blows this way.
The next minute the second mate came running on the wing of the bridge shouting to the old man that the Radar shack on the was on fire.

Is the moto never trust a pilot for local knowledge.

Rgds Ian.

RHL
19th March 2011, 17:42
Ian,

Have to correct you on the Cruachan story. Master was Ken Hardie, we had just picked up the pilot on a summers night just after 8pm at Folkestone and the smell of burning was from from the locals ashore burning grass though that was finally overcome by the burning stench coming from the radar shack that was located between the Cruachan's twin funnels. Chief Officer was Willie Mason, Mate was either Robert Shaw from Lochgilphead or Paddy Aitken from Carrickfergus, 2/O was John Phillips and 3/O was myself, cadets were Willie Anderson, John Holmes and somebody from the islands whose name escapes me for the moment.
Cheers

Ali Bain
20th March 2011, 08:42
RHL, Any idea what became of Willie Anderson, if it is the same one he was from the islands and was a good shipmate of mine on the 'Lomond
Regards-Ali. Bain.

EBenarty
20th March 2011, 21:36
Ali,
Willie and I sailed on the Cruachan together as Cadets from 1968 -1970, he was from Baltasound ,Unst, Shetland. I heard on this site from The Black Sea Kid (John Holmes ) who also sailed with us on the Cruachan at this time. He said he heard Willie died in a road accident.
Regards, Billy

Ali Bain
21st March 2011, 07:27
Billy, Really sad to hear about Willie, he was a good shipmate and we had some great runs ashore. He was a Sheltie so it sounds like the same man.
Regards-Ali. Bain

RHL
22nd March 2011, 22:45
Billy, Sorry to hear about Willie no longer being with us, he was a bit of a lad on the Cruachan with his runs ashore in Japan, as you all were in those distant days.

Waighty
23rd March 2011, 12:51
Hi Waghty
Knew Jim well in Ben Line and we were at King Teds together in1968. I met him a few times when I was in Seaforth but have not seen him since the mid 80s. Jockey Lindsay frequents this site and may know of his where abouts. I believe Jocky who is also from Eyemouth is now in Canada.
Billy

Hi EBenarty if you were at King Teds with Jim in 1968 then you would have been there with me cos I was there as well. The only other BL guy I remember was Alan Hards.

What I remember most is going down to the Post Office with the Postal Orders that BL used to send once a week!

Mike Waight

IANMAIN
27th March 2011, 23:40
RHL, Any idea what became of Willie Anderson, if it is the same one he was from the islands and was a good shipmate of mine on the 'Lomond
Regards-Ali. Bain.

I sailed with Willie Anderson on the Ben Gloe i think. Iwas EDH. He was on the Unst Yell ferry before he died. We sailed from Manila to Japan and Willie had to collect the Poo samples for the quarentine and was going round the ship with a tray slung round his neck like a cinema icecream lady. Reg. Ian Main

Waighty
17th May 2011, 17:15
Hi Waghty
Billy

You're not Neil McNeish by any chance?

john fraser
17th May 2011, 19:12
You're not Neil McNeish by any chance?

Hi Waighty.
Although I live near to where Neil McNish was brought up.Forres,I never met him in Ben Line. When I was in Ben Line I believe he was master on the Ben Ocean Lancer. After Ben Line finished I went to DSV,s and before retiring was on one in the Gulf of Mexico.We had some Filipino catering and one told me he had come from the Mayflower Resolution and that the Captain was a Neil McNish.That was only two years ago so he could still be there.

Waighty
24th May 2011, 20:13
Hi Waighty.
Although I live near to where Neil McNish was brought up.Forres,I never met him in Ben Line. When I was in Ben Line I believe he was master on the Ben Ocean Lancer. After Ben Line finished I went to DSV,s and before retiring was on one in the Gulf of Mexico.We had some Filipino catering and one told me he had come from the Mayflower Resolution and that the Captain was a Neil McNish.That was only two years ago so he could still be there.

Hello John,

I'll have to start by saying that I don't think you and I ever met. Jim Lough and I knew each other for a number of years both ashore and afloat. Other guys I knew and met in a subsequent working life (Forth Ports) were Dave Keillor (we still recognised each other after 40 odd years!) and Henry Aitchison. I met Davy Cruikshank in Aberdeen in the mid 1980s when he was Master with Maersk Offshore. Other than that I've not met anyone else. Mike Waight

john fraser
24th May 2011, 21:56
Hello John,

I'll have to start by saying that I don't think you and I ever met. Jim Lough and I knew each other for a number of years both ashore and afloat. Other guys I knew and met in a subsequent working life (Forth Ports) were Dave Keillor (we still recognised each other after 40 odd years!) and Henry Aitchison. I met Davy Cruikshank in Aberdeen in the mid 1980s when he was Master with Maersk Offshore. Other than that I've not met anyone else. Mike Waight

No .must admit your name didn,t ring a bell with me.Its just when you mentioned Neil Macnish,that I thought i,d write. Davie Keillor I knew very well and I still see Davy Cruikshanks when he is at home.He is now working as a rig mover having packed in Maersk a few year ago.I.ll enquire of my Forres relatives if Neil is still living there.
Rgds

Waighty
30th May 2011, 18:58
No .must admit your name didn,t ring a bell with me.Its just when you mentioned Neil Macnish,that I thought i,d write. Davie Keillor I knew very well and I still see Davy Cruikshanks when he is at home.He is now working as a rig mover having packed in Maersk a few year ago.I.ll enquire of my Forres relatives if Neil is still living there.
Rgds

Many thanks. Davy Cruikshanks was at King Teds with me, Jim Lough etc. in 1968. Years later I met Davy in Aberdeen. Small world.