Spot the dog

mil511mariner
8th March 2011, 16:48
There were 18 dog class tugs in service for the Admiralty the last was probably the Saluki in Devonport - most have been sold to commercial operators it would be interesting to see what became of them and ther careers after the RMAS.

shoot999
10th March 2011, 09:51
There's some info on a few of them over in the tug thread.

Waighty
11th March 2011, 11:38
The Alsatian was seen five years ago in Workington but I don't know who owned it. Collie was with Targe Towing and working the east coast of scotland. Both she and the Cairn were converted into trial vessels for Butec and based at Kyle until sold on. What became of Cairn I don't know. Two other dog class were operated by Rosyth Marine Services on behalf of Babcocks at Rosyth Royal Dockyard. Yet again I don't know if the tugs or RMS still exist.

Mastiff was converted in to a luxury 'yacht' and is based in south of France somewhere - google it and see photo.

Ted.Bush
12th March 2011, 16:29
Beagle, my first Tug when i was 15, was renamed Basset, is now called Rufus Castle, and i think still in Portland.

STRAWBERRY
8th October 2011, 18:53
Yes I can confirm Beagle/Basset is currently in Portland Owned by Portland Harbour Authority...She has always been a Portland Based tug, but Soon maybe to be sold to a company in British Virgin Islands. Also, Portland has the EX Dalmation, now called "Sandsfoot Castle". Cheers Andy

roofaerosyth
14th October 2011, 15:56
The Alsatian was seen five years ago in Workington but I don't know who owned it. Collie was with Targe Towing and working the east coast of scotland. Both she and the Cairn were converted into trial vessels for Butec and based at Kyle until sold on. What became of Cairn I don't know. Two other dog class were operated by Rosyth Marine Services on behalf of Babcocks at Rosyth Royal Dockyard. Yet again I don't know if the tugs or RMS still exist.

Mastiff was converted in to a luxury 'yacht' and is based in south of France somewhere - google it and see photo.

alsation now called cumbrae i think owned by osprey marine.she was in the yard at rosyth a few years ago bringing in a barge.deerhound/elkhound still at rosyth.RMS is no more.

roofaerosyth
20th November 2011, 20:00
deerhound & elkhound now run by briggs marine but still owned by babcock at rosyth.

roofaerosyth
4th June 2012, 23:58
think i have finally sorted this thread out.(if anything is wrong please correct it).1-airdale A102 now nore commander.2-alsation A106 now cumbrae. in nigeria.3-cairn A126 converted.4-dalmation A129 now sandsfoot castle.5-deerhound A155 babcock rosyth.6-elkhound A162 babcock rosyth.7-labrador A168 now troubador.8-husky A178 sold to ?9-mastiff A180 converted/ruined by some guy with no taste.10-saluki A182 sold to ?11-pointer A188 in brazil.12-setter A189 in nigeria.13-sealyham A197 in gibraltar.14-spaniel A201 sold to ? 15-sheepdog A250 sold to ? 16-foxhound A326(ex boxer) now called triumph in british virgin islands.17-basset A327(ex beagle) (ex rufus castle) now called triumph r in british virgin islands.18-collie A328 now called collie t owned by targe towing.19-corgi A330 owned by seastructures(as far as im aware).thats it.(and ive probably messed it up somewhere but hey-ho.such is life) i did my best.cheers.ROO.PS.by my count there were 19 of them built .

roofaerosyth
7th June 2012, 22:48
in british warships & auxiliaries 1986/87 by mike critchley there are only 18 dogs.airedale is not on the list.anyone know why she has been left out ?

senior pilot
7th June 2012, 23:14
the possible reason for airdale being missing from the list is that she was transferred to civilian use in gib in 1985

roofaerosyth
8th June 2012, 12:34
ah ! thats probably it alec.cheers.

Nutbourne
11th June 2012, 20:16
Sheepdog is still for sale at Portsmouth, she's currently berthed at Haslar creek. Still in good shape went on board it last week.

Bob S
12th June 2012, 17:31
RMAS AIREDALE was sold to Gibrepair '85, Alexandra Towing Ltd and then Supla (Spain) '95 renamed TOWFISH. Sold to N E Murray '96 renamed NORE COMMODORE. I believe she is now J COMMODORE under the Nigerian flag.

Photo shows her as NORE COMMODORE at Newhaven on the 17th December 2003

Bob S
12th June 2012, 17:39
RMAS ALSATIAN, renamed CLUTHA '95, CUMBRAE '97.

Photo shows her as CUMBRAE on the Tyne on the 12th April 2007

I have a photo of her as CLUTHA, will post later

roofaerosyth
12th June 2012, 17:45
anyone know if alsation was the only dog with 1 telegraph and why? i could understand if she was the first built but she wasnt.

senior pilot
25th August 2012, 18:26
corgi still about in january 2012 this video shows her at the jetty http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Ms0XcxHHgEs

roofaerosyth
1st September 2012, 12:55
corgi still about in january 2012 this video shows her at the jetty http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Ms0XcxHHgEs

Thats a good video alec.nice one.

FG86
4th September 2012, 11:41
Cairn is in private hands, still painted in RMAS colours little alteration, used for diving and general pottering around. Seems to spend a lot of time english channel.

Waighty
5th September 2012, 15:22
Cairn is in private hands, still painted in RMAS colours little alteration, used for diving and general pottering around. Seems to spend a lot of time english channel.

Some marine artist has done a good painting of her in the vicinity of the Needles; in fact it may even be on SN.

Bob S
13th September 2012, 18:11
From another website:
Sheepdog & Husky recently bought by AKOTO VENTURES ltd of nigeria.sheepdog will be re-named JULIETTE PRIDE 2, husky will be re-named JULIETTE PRIDE 1