Ben line Shipmates

buevik
16th March 2011, 00:05
Hi , enjoyed reading all the Ben Line threads on this site , I
Sailed on the following vessels with Ben Line in the 70's as deck boy to AB, Benvrackie , Benstac , Bendearg , Cramond ,Benhiant.
Memory isnt as good as it used to be but the following names stick in my mind , Donald Galbraith ,Gilly Twatt ,John Ferguson , Billy Duguid , Jimmy Torrie, Martin Lawrenson , Neil Smith , Walter Bain , may have sailed with Davie Drummond as Bosun on Benstac but not certain ,
Ed Dryden (ex -Ben Line , Offshore Marine , Viking , BUE Viking

Ali Bain
16th March 2011, 07:36
Buevik, We may have sailed together on the Benvrackie as I did sail on her when Gilly Twatt was there and quite a character he was. I joined 2/5/75 until 27/9/75 and was third engineer.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

Jmac
16th March 2011, 22:00
Hi , enjoyed reading all the Ben Line threads on this site , I
Sailed on the following vessels with Ben Line in the 70's as deck boy to AB, Benvrackie , Benstac , Bendearg , Cramond ,Benhiant.
Memory isnt as good as it used to be but the following names stick in my mind , Donald Galbraith ,Gilly Twatt ,John Ferguson , Billy Duguid , Jimmy Torrie, Martin Lawrenson , Neil Smith , Walter Bain , may have sailed with Davie Drummond as Bosun on Benstac but not certain ,
Ed Dryden (ex -Ben Line , Offshore Marine , Viking , BUE Viking

Sailed With Billy Duguid on the Lomond and Cramond, Still in touch, he works in the harbour boats in Aberdeen
Cheers John

buevik
24th March 2011, 20:59
Hi Ali
We did sail together on Benvrackie according to the dates as i joined in march 75 till sept 75 and also her final voyage from sept75 till dec75 , you may recall we had a few stowaways on board on arrival in Grangemouth , knew nothing about this till the day after when i read it in the local press , believe it was an engineer who found them , maybe yourself ? , regards , Ed Dryden

johnembo
4th May 2013, 22:33
Interested to read the Ben line links, an old, sadly now departed friend of mine was a bosun with Ben line for many years, wonder if any of you recall sailing with him, his name was Tommy Mackay aka Tommy dunk, he was a lovely old guy and a real gentleman.

backsplice
4th May 2013, 23:18
I remember Tom MacKay I sailed with him on the Benstac he took over the bosuns role when we lost our bosun Davie Miekle due to heart attack at sea homeward bound... that was about July / August 71 and yes you are correct a really he was a great old fella

john fraser
5th May 2013, 09:07
Interested to read the Ben line links, an old, sadly now departed friend of mine was a bosun with Ben line for many years, wonder if any of you recall sailing with him, his name was Tommy Mackay aka Tommy dunk, he was a lovely old guy and a real gentleman.

Sailed with Tommy on Benvenue 1965.Also didn,t he have a brother Eddie Mackay in Ben Line?

ian keyl
7th May 2013, 14:47
Yes John, you are correct Tommy had an older brother called Eddie who was permently on the coast due to health and some war injuries.
I sailed with him many times from 65 thru to 70 and a good sole. Always wore one of Mable Mays Hong kong sailors hats which was shrunk to his head . If I remember Eddie was from way up north ,just cannot remember the toon. He always looked a frail man but did his turn along with the rest . He was never on deck with out his spike and three rivers knife in his own hand made sheath.
All the others that have been mentioned were great seamen.
Rgds Ian.

davbold
24th May 2013, 16:00
Was on the benlomond with both gilly and Martin 1973 great guys