Oriana

Fairfield
14th May 2004, 15:51
Not strictly P&O but taken on board in 1978 when she was P&O by that time.Shots of her builders' plate,entwined Elizabethan logo,and forward and aft funnel/ventilator.

BMW Simon
15th April 2005, 12:31
See BMW Simons Gallery for heaps more previously personal unseen photographs of Oriana (1960) & if your really serious go to this link =
http://www.lostliners.com/Liners/P_O/Oriana/index.html
Regards,
Simon Lockyer (old crew member Oriana 1960)

Fairfield
15th April 2005, 15:29
Liked her a lot.Did two Med cruises on her in 1978/79.Remember when she did her trials on the Clyde and have managed to gather trials pix one or two which have been already shown,not by me though.Always thought though that the original Orient Line livery was the best.

BMW Simon
16th April 2005, 07:41
Managed to get quite a bit of Oriana memorabilia from various online sources (& of course my time on board) including pre launch postcards, however over the past few years the prices of even menu cards have gone thru the roof!!! I'm just glad I knew one of the ships printers very well!!!! See also this link http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/447/password/0/sort/4/cat/520/page/8 Simon.

Doug H
16th April 2005, 10:21
Simon: I really enjoyed "Simon's Story" re the Oriana. Thanks for supplying the reference to it AND the lostliners website. Kind regards, Doug H

ruud
14th September 2005, 13:38
Ahoy,
Sad to see a such a beautiful ship ending up,it are, however, beautiful photograph,s, but the subject is very sad.
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5393/oriananewyork7qi7eh.th.jpg (http://img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oriananewyork7qi7eh.jpg)
Photo Gallery 11
http://www.oriana1960.wanadoo.co.uk/Photos.htm

Rutts
15th September 2005, 11:05
Its was pity she was not scrapped back in 1986, when she was withdrawn from service. The external appearance may resemble the Oriana we remember but the Japs and Chinese certainly changed her internally. The Chinese writing along the hull certainly looks out of character as much as the orange lifeboats. I still have some unopened commenrative cans of Foster's Lager purchased on board when I was one of the last fare paying passengers to join her in Auckland for short dash across to Sydney in March 1986. It was only 3 nights and a lot of people didn't bother going to bed on the last night and spilled out on deck for her final arrival in Sydney and berthing at Pyrmont.

To quote the information on the commenrative cans......
Gross tonnage 41,915. Length 245.1 metres. Breadth 30.5 metres
730 cabins, 17 public rooms and 11 passenger decks
By her retirement Oriana will have steamed 3,430,902 nautical miles.
Her record day's run was 701 nautical miles at 29.21 knots.
Unquote

newda898
15th September 2005, 18:51
Those pictures of Oriana being broken up are sad. :-(

david smith
17th October 2005, 11:55
Article on passages on board the 1960 built Oriana in the November 2005 edition of Ships Monthly.

fred henderson
17th October 2005, 16:53
Not strictly P&O but taken on board in 1978 when she was P&O by that time.Shots of her builders' plate,entwined Elizabethan logo,and forward and aft funnel/ventilator.

The Oriana's plaque shown in your middle picture Fairfield, was rescued from P&O's stores. Its refurbishement was paid for by former members of the crew of Oriana and at their request, now hangs in the Captain's lounge of the current Oriana

Fred

Fairfield
18th October 2005, 08:58
Thanks for that,Fred.I/m flad that it/s still in existence and in a proper place too.Always wondered about her fittings when she went to Japan.

Doug Rogers
18th October 2005, 09:41
Yes me too...I would dearly love to be able to access that repository and archive that they have!!.

froggie
18th October 2005, 18:38
Iwas in ORIANA for her first couple of years and again later. H M The Queen was most interested in the symbolism of the badge of the British built ship when she named the new ORIANA in 1995. Best wishes Nelson French

fred henderson
19th October 2005, 00:28
Thanks Nelson. It does not suprise me that the Queen was interested in the plaque, but it is nice to have it confirmed.

Fred

froggie
19th October 2005, 15:36
I intended to add these pictures in my message yesterday - froggie

froggie
19th October 2005, 17:21
The pictures at last - I hope!

Pompeyfan
20th October 2005, 00:32
Just out of interest, Mike Carr kindly sent me a plaque of current Oriana after missing him when recently on board. But as he said, not so nice as the old one. David

froggie
26th October 2005, 11:09
Thanks Nelson. It does not suprise me that the Queen was interested in the plaque, but it is nice to have it confirmed.

Fred
I regret that I am not yet fully computer-literate. I have been trying to send you these pictures.

bosunjohnboy
15th December 2005, 15:41
ive got the oriana medal, from my time onboard,actually its from the club we had onboard, belonging to the R A O B, the oriana is inset into the medal, anybody know what it is worth, regards bosunjohnboy

Chris Stone
27th March 2006, 09:51
Liked her a lot.Did two Med cruises on her in 1978/79.Remember when she did her trials on the Clyde and have managed to gather trials pix one or two which have been already shown,not by me though.Always thought though that the original Orient Line livery was the best.
Sailed on Oriana when she was P&O Orient line ship, Was in engine room "Junior Engineer". The later white colour was insipid and took a lot away from her.

Brad
12th October 2006, 03:21
I visited the Oriana in Beppu in about 1992 when the Japanese were using her as a floating resuraunt or hotel or something. We were there discharging on a bulker and went for a run ashore to see what we could see. always regret not having taken photos of her but i was 19, ashore and had better things to do at the time.....

sailingday
31st October 2007, 16:51
I did submit a short article about joining the Oriana on October 24 1960 at Barrow, I stayed the full distance, finally arriving back in Southampton March25 1961,are there any more from the maiden voyage?

I am not too clever with the computer, but I am puzzled as to what happened to my story.

John Middleton R542907 (sailing day)

sparkie2182
31st October 2007, 22:50
not on board............

but i was a 5 year old boy who saw her sail ......... we were allowed out of school with our teachers for the occasion.

best regards.............

notnila
1st November 2007, 00:14
I did submit a short article about joining the Oriana on October 24 1960 at Barrow, I stayed the full distance, finally arriving back in Southampton March25 1961,are there any more from the maiden voyage?

I am not too clever with the computer, but I am puzzled as to what happened to my story.

John Middleton R542907 (sailing day)

I,like you,joined her in Barrow,then speed trials off Arran.Was it to Falmouth then to have the stabilisers fitted?Shakedown cruise to Lisbon, and then Maiden voyage.I enjoyed it,but I,m not sure that I impressed Purser Nelson or Mr Buxton 1st Class Head Waiter.

sailingday
2nd November 2007, 17:22
Nice to hear of another from the maiden voyage,,after Sydney when someone fell through I was transferred from a lovely little station 2 sittings of 6, to the staff comander's table, 2 sittings of 8, very heavy going but managed it with help from the wine waiter, who bought me and the other fruitman several pints to our locker, his name was Chivers.

notnila
2nd November 2007, 23:59
Do you remember how you had to shout out your "Grill" order,and your number,as you entered the galley?Just before you reached the grill,a chitty was thrust in your hand by a pimply,greasy haired youth!It was I!!It was I!!!

sailingday
3rd November 2007, 19:58
Nice to hear of another from the maiden voyage,,after Sydney when someone fell through I was transferred from a lovely little station 2 sittings of 6, to the staff comander's table, 2 sittings of 8, very heavy going but managed it with help from the wine waiter, who bought me and the other fruitman several pints to our locker, his name was Chivers.

message to notilla
I remember the system for ordering grills, I cant remember you but I will always recall my waiter's number (42), I always use it on the lotto, and Irish lottery, with some success.

notnila
10th November 2007, 22:47
I've spent the last week or so trying to put names to faces on that trip.Louis Pirnie from N.Ireland who brought Victore Borgnine and wife up the crew gangway in Naples."Tilly"Woods,who I'm told,eventually opened a cakeshop in Bermondsey!One big guy called Boult,that the Scousers immediately dubbed"Thunder"!I can still see the faces but the names have long gone.

sailingday
14th November 2007, 21:32
The people I remember were the 1/c waiters, the staff commander 'Wuff Wuff'', the liverool B R's, and the waiter on Captain Edgecoombe's table John Godfrey, who several years later worked as a dining car attendant on the trains from Euston.

neville
4th May 2008, 19:25
I too did the trails on her and remember doing a fast turn , wich we lost a lot of dishes in the galley, I joined her after the strike, and did the shakedown cruise to Lisbon, then the Maiden , it was the most modern ship I sailed on, 2 berth cabins for the crew and a biult in crew pool, on the focsle, and closed cercuit tv,s wow, after cunard, and cpr, and castle boats it was pure luxury, sad to hear of her end.(K)

sailingday
14th October 2008, 15:35
Just opened up this thread again, Oct 24 is fast approaching, 48 years since joining at barrow, love to hear from anyone who did the maiden voyage.

notnila
14th October 2008, 21:58
Is it 48 years?How time flies when you're having fun!I joined in Barrow,then trials,"shakedown cruise"to Lisbon,and Maiden voyage.Met some great crewmates on that trip.
Best Regards
Arch

neville
7th April 2009, 18:08
Joined her in barrow after the 60,s stike what a great ship she was after the 6 and 8 berth cabins on the cunard boats, did the trials and remember the fast turn she did , lost a lot of dishes and stuff in the galley , we werent prepared for it , and felt like she was about too capsize. but it was a great trip and I should have stayed on her longer, but went back too the trans atlantic boats for shorter trips , except for the cruises.(Jester)

orcades
8th March 2010, 17:54
This is probably posted in the wrong place, but here goes anyway. Why is,nt the Orient Line posted as a shipping company in the shipping company lists? I,m sure it would be easier to find for those of us who sailed for the company and are not computer literate to enjoy many memories of our time at sea and meet old shipmates, and Board of Trade Aquaintances.

shambles
9th June 2010, 20:43
Wonder if the "Oriana fanfare" has been tranferred to the latest version? Might have been composed by Benjamin Britten but the discords certainly cleared the eardrums.